No announcement yet.

Who Shot Mohammed al-Dura? (long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in any case i cant think of a way of conveying in Hebrew what i mean to say with "gott bench America" Adonai yvarech et America (pardon the grammar) just doesnt sound right.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

How about Lehabreyut America. To America's good health? Not exactly the same, though.
      "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Edan
        How about Lehabreyut America. To America's good health? Not exactly the same, though.

In english theres a way of intoning "god bless America" that implies an affirmation based on some particular aspect, that implies a mixture of surprise and celebration. Basically by accenting the word bless "hey didja here that after 9/11 most americans reached out to protect their muslim neighbors? - God BLESS America!" You can intone "gott BENCH America" the same way - i dont think you can do the equivalent in Hebrew. The point is to emphasize the pararallelism with the English phrase - a phrase that has iconic meaning in the US these last 21 months.

The foreigners just dont understand
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I'm REALLY sick of "God Bless America" by the way. First off, I'm non-religious and suspicious of the whole "God's on our side" thing (which is kinda implied by GBA). Second, I love baseball and I HATE the GBA song that they play during every 7th inning stretch.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

In english theres a way of intoning "god bless America" that implies an affirmation based on some particular aspect, that implies a mixture of surprise and celebration. Basically by accenting the word bless "hey didja here that after 9/11 most americans reached out to protect their muslim neighbors? - God BLESS America!" You can intone "gott BENCH America" the same way - i dont think you can do the equivalent in Hebrew. The point is to emphasize the pararallelism with the English phrase - a phrase that has iconic meaning in the US these last 21 months.

The foreigners just dont understand
            Ah, ok. Well, as an American, I think the thought matters more than the phrase.
            "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT

You should try to understand what you write. You are again saying that all French are antisemitic. That is enough. Dont ask me to explain the French leftist behaviour, I am not one of them. Forget that some Frenchs have been instrumental in disclosing the case and publishing it.

And continue to indulge your absolute rightness based on arithmetical certitude. I am sure that you would have been a hero during WWII, protecting the Jews against the Nazis.

You probably dont know that the Jews who are able to chase for 20 years those who deserve their hatred, are as stubborn when they want to show gratitude. They have, till recently, confered to those who have protected their children during the darkest hours the title of Juste.

Surprisingly some are French.
              Davout, I am relieved that you are not part of the French left. I thought all French posters here on Apolyton were.

As to what I personally would have done prior to WWII? I probably would have been like JFK, a Roosevelt Democrat strongly against appeasement. But, honestly, we have the benefit of hindsight that appeasement does not work from the events leading up to WWII. I may actually have supported Chamberlain. Who knows?

But, equally as bad as appeasement was the silence by the majority prior to WWII when Hitler increasingly defamed the Jews. Silence in the face of evil is not a virtue. Indifference to injustice is a crime.

Anyone in France who finds that France2's participation in a staged event that lead to the current war should speak out in protest and condemnation. Silence here is not golden.
              http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                I'm REALLY sick of "God Bless America" by the way. First off, I'm non-religious and suspicious of the whole "God's on our side" thing (which is kinda implied by GBA). Second, I love baseball and I HATE the GBA song that they play during every 7th inning stretch.

-Arrian
                i dont think GBA implies G-d is on our side - its a request that he be on our side - when i ask god to bless my child, im not implying god is already on my childs side. And its making a statement that our nation is both worthy of, and in need of gods blessing. After 9/11 we focused on the need - in the usage i refer to above, and which i tried in the yiddish phrase that started it all, the worthiness is emphasized. '

and thats one reason it is particularly compelling in Yiddish. More so than in English, and certainly more so than in Hebrew. Merely to say the words in yiddish is to remember why the sentiment is so compelling to yiddish speakers - it reminds of grandparents who came to these shores, blessing their good fortune, it reminds of lost souls, on the point of death, saved by American GI's, it reminds of Eisenhower who visited the camps personally in order to bear witness, and it reminds of the kind of society this is where the common sentiment can be expressed in different tongues and by different faiths.

Once again - Gott bench America!!!!!!

Comment

Bravo! Lord of the Mark! That brought tears to my eyes.
                  http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                    Yiddish is just Hebrew+German isn't it?
                    hi ,

nope , its a mix of high german , lots of polish and russian with hebrew and a bunch of local words , ...

have a nic eday
                    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned

Davout, not all French are anti-Semitic, it is true. But when one sees a consistent pattern from the French left of openly siding with Palestine against Israel, to see that France2 participate in a propaganda event designed to provoke a war against Israel an to not see even one condemnation from a French poster, and to listen to the vile, racist comments coming from the pro-Palestinian left here in the the United States, what conclusions should one draw?

1 + 1 = 2

Give me one other explanation for not one single French leftist condemning the Palestinians for staging the little boy's death. Give me one other explanation for no one on the left condemning France2 for participating in an event designed to start a war against the Jews. The left is, after all, supposed to be anti-war. Or is there an exception if Israel is attacked?

How many leftists in Europe stood silent when the Nazi's defamed the Jews prior to WWII? Everyone? Why?
                      hi ,

, well it comes to this ; one the enemy of my enemy is my friend , two ; its easy to blame a minority and rally against them in order to forget your own problems , .....

they would care less if we where under attack , we are under attack now , they dont care , .....

have a nice day
                      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
                        gsmoove, as a known leftist, are you or are you not against the goals of Hamas: to overthrow the Jewish state and drive any survivors into the sea?
                        I missed this post but this comment scared the heebie jeebies out of me. I'm a known leftist? Well I suppose you're right.

Hamas' goals mean as little to me as those of the militant settlers. I recognize there are enemies to peace on both sides of the line.

Comment

• Their power is incomprable. Just look at how Hamas forced the slowly moving stabilization process to a grinding halt.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Yeah Azazel, they did it all by their lonesome. No help from anyone. Are you talking currently?

The militant settlers are only one bunch of enemies of peace I would mention on the Israeli side.

Comment

• I am waiting.

Oh, and please, I want an explanation to why they're intersted in the non-advancement of the peaceprocess.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Waiting for what? You haven't given me a question.

Whether a group is or is not interested in a particular peace process is irrelevant. Settlers would be interested in a peace process that would suit their needs, ie, leave the settlements untouched. I would suggest that any such process would not result in peace. Therefore they are enemies to peace without even mentioning the harrassment that many militant settlers actively participate in.

Comment

Working...
                                X