Japanese Deflationary Spiral...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Deflationary Spiral...

Year-on-year inflation has come in at -3.5%. This seems a bit drastic and worrying to me. It seems like the Japanese have just given up on the issue.

The economy didn't grow at all over the last quarter.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Is this a Rol... never mind.
    Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

After so many years of decline and stagnation, I think that the new technology in telephone and such may build something significant, and also the drastic treatment of their auto industry is possibly producing some effect.
      Statistical anomaly.
      The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

They've known what they have to do to get out of this for at least 10 years now. The Japanese political establishment just won't deregulate and open up the economy so a slow doneward spiral is the best they can hope for.

It's to bad really.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It would seem to be extremely difficult for any business to do well in this environment. Toyota seems to be one of the few Japanese companies that can actually make a profit.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

How will this affect Japanese imports and exports? Will Toyota's become cheaper here in the States?
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Nissan also has nicely recovered and is now making profits.
              Statistical anomaly.
              The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

I think that most Toyotas sold in the States are assembled here in the States using Japanese and American parts. So even if the price were to go down, it wouldn't be that far of a drop.

Re their imports and exports, Japan imports/exports only slightly more than does the US (surprise, surprise)--only about 12% of their economy, IIRC. However, the impact of that 12% is magnified by the fact that most of those exports are industrial goods rather than services. Industry comprises 25% of Japan's economy, much more than the US' ~15%. Industry has been suffering deflation worldwide, especially in the industries that are Japan's stock and trade.

This is a post-industrial world we're living in...

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                  It would seem to be extremely difficult for any business to do well in this environment. Toyota seems to be one of the few Japanese companies that can actually make a profit.
                  A few month's back Business Week had a big spread on Japan's deflaition. It seems companies such as Sony and Toyota are just breaking even at home and all of their profits are coming from overseas. Also when you say Japan exports more do you mean they export more as a percentage of GNP? I am 90% certain that the US is still the world's largest exporter (and importer as well).
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Sony's profits are pathetic. Might as well stick your money in your mattress.

Comment

I am 90% certain that the US is still the world's largest exporter (and importer as well).

Yes, as a %-age of GDP. My bad.

Comment

Oerdin: Didn't you say you are going to live in Japan? That is rattling around in my brain somewhere...

Comment

Does this mean Japan is going to become a cheap shopping opportunity then? I'd love to pick up some hightech consumer goods or, say, Osaka cheaply.
                          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

i know nothing about economics but... since inflation is generally seen as a negative thing, wouldn't deflation be a positive?
                            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

i guess the problem is in having less money is circulation means less investment, less purchases, and less business growth... but still, isnt inflation worse?
                              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Working...
                              X