Japanese Deflationary Spiral...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oerdin
    I would think that in nearly all cases the total amount of domestic production would far out weight the amount of incoming foreign capital. Thus you'd want to keep interest rates moderate so as to not kill the real economic engine of the country during your prosuit of foreign funds.
    It's a matter of supply and demand. For example, in Thailand they were building real estate that could not possibly be occupied. A market glut occured.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

So, why can't they just print money to end this supposed problem?
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
        So, why can't they just print money to end this supposed problem?
        The BOJ has lost the confidence of investors. Investors no longer believe that the BOJ can stop deflation. Therefore, any money that is injected into the system will just be saved.

Comment

Printing money would be inflationary and so it could potentially end the deflationary spiral. If the nation's debt is to be repaid in the currency to be devalued (i.e. over printed) then the problems wouldn't be to bad as long as the currency isn't so over printed as to cause out of control inflation. If, however, the nation's debt has to be repaid in a "hard currency" (as is very common in 3rd world or 2nd world countries so lenders can avoid government's deliberately over printing) then they will find the nation's debt EXPLODING to the point that they can no longer service it. This will cause default and national economic chaos.

Ask our Argentine friends what they think of this.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Printing money would be inflationary and so it could potentially end the deflationary spiral.
            Only if the additional cash is spent. That is looking unlikely.

If the nation's debt is to be repaid in the currency to be devalued (i.e. over printed) then the problems wouldn't be to bad as long as the currency isn't so over printed as to cause out of control inflation. If, however, the nation's debt has to be repaid in a "hard currency" (as is very common in 3rd world or 2nd world countries so lenders can avoid government's deliberately over printing) then they will find the nation's debt EXPLODING to the point that they can no longer service it. This will cause default and national economic chaos.

Ask our Argentine friends what they think of this.
            That may be true, but if they don't get out of deflation then things will get very bad anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

Only if the additional cash is spent. That is looking unlikely.
              If you're not going to circulate it then why print it? If you circulate it then it will have some impact upon inflation.

That may be true, but if they don't get out of deflation then things will get very bad anyway.
              True, it is a matter of choicing your poison when you are in such a poor state.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

If you're not going to circulate it then why print it? If you circulate it then it will have some impact upon inflation.
                It might be too late to change things in Japan, but if it were up to me I would still try even at the risk of causing some price volitility. I wouldn't just let things run their course.

Comment

IMO, Japan's major problem is that they are still wedded to the devolopmental state model that, while perfect for their decades-long effort to catch up to America economically, is now a hindrance to further economic progress. In an economy as developed as Japan's, there is little use for the massive, government-led expansions into new industrial sectors that the developmental state model excells at. With the major benefit of the devlopmental state system neutered by Japan's sucess, the inefficiencies that plague the system are becoming more and more unbearable.

The Japanese really need to move to a more market-oriented, American-style economy in order to correct the gross inefficiency of their economic system, but I don't see them making the necessary reforms anytime soon. There are countless political, social, and cultural reasons why the Japanese don't want to move to a more laissez-faire system. Bold action is needed to solve Japan's economic woes, but bold action isn't exactly a hallmark of Japanese behavior.

Oh well, at least prices will be cheaper when I move over there (I hope).
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Aha, I got Drake and Oerdin mixed. Drake is moving to Japan.

Drake: Are you going for work or other reasons? If work, are you going to be working for an American or Japanese company?
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                      Well, to be fair, sales tax is not that high in most states. Some states don't even have it. In DC it is 5.75%. In Maryland, it is 5%. In Virginia, it is 4.5%. Most people buy a lot of stuff on the internet nowadays, anyway. No sales tax there most of the time.
                      IIRC around 1% of total consumer expenditures is purchased through the internet. (my memory is very vague on that but I doubt I'd be much more) But I guess that it would indeed not make that much of an impact.
                      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• Drake: Are you going for work or other reasons? If work, are you going to be working for an American or Japanese company?

I'm heading over mainly to gain Japanese fluency. I'd like to go into policy analysis in the future, focusing on East Asia, so Japanese language skill would be very valuable. I'd like to learn Mandarin as well, but I think its better to work on one completely foreign language at a time.

Anway, I'm going over to Japan as an assistant language teacher on the JET Program. I'll be working for a local school board in Japan, but I haven't found out which one yet. You can extend your contract for up to 3 years, but I'm planning on only staying 2 before I come back to the States for grad school. Hopefully I can get the language down in that amount of time.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• --"Oh well, at least prices will be cheaper when I move over there (I hope)."

Depends where, but if you're in one of the big cities then almost certainly not. About the only things that will be cheaper are manga.

Although, if you can find one of those duty-free export shops you can get some really good bargains on electronics (bring your passport).

Wraith
                          This signature is 100% handmade

Comment

• Depends where, but if you're in one of the big cities then almost certainly not. About the only things that will be cheaper are manga.

I meant that the prices might be lower relative to past Japanese domestic prices. Prices will still be outrageous, especially moving from a cheap area like Nebraska, but it could be worse. I'm guaranteed an annual salary of 3,600,000 yen, so deflation could be my friend.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X