Uk keeps its economic independence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheStinger
    keeping the pound means economic decisions being made by an elected governmane chosen by the people of theis country. As for influence what influence, the we would have 1 vote on the ECB, wow thats just great.
    The reality is that we live in a global world in the economic sense and our government has a limited influence on the bigger picture. The ECB overall has more global significance.

Personally I don't trust politicians or even regard most of them as competent, either our domestic ones or the EU variety. If they have to work through a bigger organisation they have less individual power and less opportunity to make a mess.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
      What's with all these discussions about economics anyway? The single currency only barely registers as an economic issue...
      In that case I can't see any reason not to join.
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Its a political decision in that the question of who retains control of our economy is political. We are economicaly tied to the rest of the world are we supposed to have the same currency as them
        Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
        Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

I don't see any great rush to tie our success to the economies of Germany and France. Er, no thanks.
          Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV

The reality is that we live in a global world in the economic sense and our government has a limited influence on the bigger picture. The ECB overall has more global significance.

Personally I don't trust politicians or even regard most of them as competent, either our domestic ones or the EU variety. If they have to work through a bigger organisation they have less individual power and less opportunity to make a mess.
            The ECB will be very powerful, how will that help the UK.

AT the moment the chancellor sets the bank of england an inflation target,who then set interst rates accordingly. he is otherwise free to set his budgets as he sees fit. If he cocks it up either through the target or in other ways, I as does everyone else has the opportunity to vote the government out. There would be no such opportunity if the ECB set interst rates
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Comment

Our single interest rate doesn't even fit the entire UK well. How on earth can a Europe-wide interest rate be more appropriate?

Comment

If the single currency is bad for the UK as we want control over our monetary policy, then why do we have only a single currency within the UK. The economic needs of the north of England are different from those of the south, and are different of those of Scotland. I'm always hearing about how BoE decisions favour London and the southeast. Would we be better off splitting up the UK into two or three currency zones, each with their own monetary policies?
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I've never quite figured this argument about interest rates. Can someone explain to me why America is able to cope with a single interest rate but Europe apparently can't?

That was a genuine question, by the way, and not a snide attempt at argument.
                  "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

It's a nice thought, but I look forward to hearing how it can be implemented...

Comment

Because the US is 1 country, I know you all like to pretend that you are 50 independant countries but your not. You have a central body deciding fiscal policy europe doesn't. The economic disprities between rich areas and poor areas are not as great as in europe.

Comment

France and Germany are cool.
                        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

They're fast becoming economic basket-cases.

Comment

Well, just wait for the England basketcase when the real estate bubble goes *pop*.
                            “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

At least we won't be taking the rest of the continent down with us...

Comment

the economy would indeed go pop if the house price boom required a rise in interest rates to stop it, it does however appera to be slowing of its own accord.

Comment

Working...
                                X