Uk keeps its economic independence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uk keeps its economic independence

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

Good news

Although it is quite clear if Blair thought he could win the referendum the tests would have been passed.
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

I don't care about our economic independence. I'm worried about the financial implications for the UK of staying out of the Euro but as I don't have all the information on that I guess I'll have to accept that it's not time yet.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

strange, I would interprete those as Reasons TO join , not against
      Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Bah! Mind you, suppose it was to be expected.
        "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Could it be that Gordon Brown just wants to be the prime minister who takes us in ??

Personally, I wish we were voting on joining the Dollar, but such is life.

If its true that we will eventually join at some date anyway, then we should be in there now. To argue that the Economic systems of Europe are not quite reformed enough for us to join, and then stay out, robs us of the chance to get the reform we need.

Eventually we will be forced in some way or another, and at a totally unfavourable moment, with no say in how anything works.. and we'll wonder why the French and Germans appear to be running the show.

Seriously, if the UK wants to give us a serious option to the Euro, lets have a vote on joining the Dollar also .. I know which id prefer.
          "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

Can someone explain to me why we can't keep the pound, why are we inevitabley going to join. What influence do we lose by keeping control of our own monetray policy
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Comment

Can someone explain to me what's so good about the pound? Why we've delayed so long and how much influence we lose in the EU by not being part of it?
              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

What lost influence?
                Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Yes, essentially that was the question.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

keeping the pound means economic decisions being made by an elected governmane chosen by the people of theis country. As for influence what influence, the we would have 1 vote on the ECB, wow thats just great.

Comment

Hear, hear Stinger.

Comment

Either we are in europe economically or we are not. In practice we are and that was decided a long time ago so we should get on with it and join the Euro.

We delayed joining the EU and didn't get a good deal when we eventually went in. I fear the same will happen over the Euro.

There is also an issue about timing. Tony Blair was successful up to the Iraq war because he had good political timing. Now would be a good time to show a commitment to europe and joining the Euro would do that but I think he has lost his touch and sense of timing. If I am right he won't last much longer. It rather reminds me of Maggie Thatcher in 1988 when she was so set on the poll tax and didn't deal with other issues effectively.
                        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

I understand the negative aspects. I just think that in the long term being part of it is going to be much better for all involved.

As soon as losing significant proportions of our financial sector becomes a reality rather than a danger we'll have to join or it'll have a horrible effect on us.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

What's with all these discussions about economics anyway? The single currency only barely registers as an economic issue...

Comment

I just don't buy this idea that we have economic independance .. we don't .. unless your defending our right to screw up.

There is an economy, a global one, and nobody is independant of it, even those that try as hard as they can to play no part.

The reason I personally believe in consolidation in the currency markets, is because it increases trade. The level playing field it provides allows for a more stable business environment (no currency fluctuations to blow your market plans out the window).
                              "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

Working...
                              X