disciplining children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disciplining children

What is the appropiate way to discipline a child if you are a parent? a teacher/school official? or just a caretaker?

Is spanking ever allowed? What about other forms of physical punishment?

We may have had a thread dealing with this many moons ago, but not recently.

I am not a parent, and there are those who say you cannot know what it is like unless you are a parent. So perhaps I should not comment on this. I really have no idea how to discipline children.

discuss.

Not on this side of the pond, matey = at least for non-parents. You are confusing coporal punishment (beating) with discipline (maintaining order). One is a method to achieve the other, but it's not the only or the best method. Next!
    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

I wouldnt spank my kids. i was never spanked and even though ive gone through a lot with my parents i dont believe physical punishment would have helped in anything.
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I bet you spank that ass though MRT.
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

this thread doesn't apply to spanking women in bed. I think we can all agree that is a good thing.

Comment

My parents used (or rather, tried) a number of different punishments on me -- spanking, sitting in the corner, going to my room, revocation of an assortment of priviledges, writing "I won't do..." several hundred times, and grounding, among others.

Spanking was the only one that really got and held my attention.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I was only hit once as a child, when I was 12, and boy did I deserve it (I got waaaay too smart with my Mom)

My parents disciplined me with loss of things I wanted...TV, Food, Play Time, etc. I don't think it worked so much as it pissed me off...but then again, I don't think spanking would have either. Punishment really just puts it in the person's head for the time being...what you really need to do to 'discipline' your child is make sure that they learned a lesson. If they didn't, it can and will happen again. So what's the point?
              "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I was spanked and lectured at when I was a kid. I'd rather endure a thousand spankings than one lecture. Take that as you will.
                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I was whipped for having the wrong look on my face or for making too much noise about having a teen-ager eight years my senior sitting on my chest or head.

For real punishment my Dad conceived of a real doozy: he made us tear up a section of the driveway and haul off the asphalt and gravel using nothing more than picks, shovels and wheelbarrows.

I find the threat of corporal punishment to be more effective than actually doing it.
                  "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I guess different people have different levers. The most effective punishment for me was shame (private, not public).
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

A good thump on the noggin to get their attention.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I think manual labor and the threat of smacking is good. But not excessive.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

To paraphrase; beat them until they bruise, then beat them for bruising.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I believe in spankings (not beatings)... I've only had to spank my kids a few times... and the threat was good enough the rest of the times.

It does get their attention...

The rest of the time... removal of specific privledges for periods of time... sending them to their room... having them make restitution for something they've done... all usually work as well.

Each situation usually demands a different style of punishment.
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Like the rack ?

Comment

Working...
                              X