No announcement yet.

What separates a Mac from a PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would I be able to comment on the implementation of the sidebar in Longhorn beyond what I read in the informed press? I'm not a Microsoft employee like yourself, so I can't really get a hold of a pre-alpha copy of Longhorn.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
      How would I be able to comment on the implementation of the sidebar in Longhorn beyond what I read in the informed press? I'm not a Microsoft employee like yourself, so I can't really get a hold of a pre-alpha copy of Longhorn.
      There's ample previews of it out there which describes its functionality.

The Sidebar is more akin to the Task Pane in Office XP than the Dock in OS X.

I mean, let's see: the Dock offers simplistic on/off functionality for programs and allows limited Docklings.

Sidebar allows you to use QuickLaunch (which MS has had before the Dock existed in OS X), allows you to use very powerful/versatile applets, search functionality/results, a "basket" to put temporary files/images/text that appears to serve like a complex clipboard, etc.

Sidenote: A very good preview (Part 2) of Longhorn is available here: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...eview_2003.asp
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• We'll have to wait and see how it turns out. To some people, it looks like MS is ripping Apple off once again and I wouldn't expect anything different. I've always suspected Billy saved Apple so he would have a real R&D outfit designed things for him.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• What's also interesting to note is that Windows XP will remain the sole Windows OS for consumers for sale until 2005 when Longhorn comes out.

2001->2005 == 4 years without forcing consumers to pay to upgrade their OS.

And MS has released many free updates already (.NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1, USB 2.0 support, Bluetooth support, Windows Media 9, Windows Movie Maker 2, DirectX 9, SP1, etc). And they're planning to continue updating this stuff for free until the release.

How often does Apple release a new OS X for sale? Every year almost?
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• oh puh-leeez.

the sidebar is not a copy of the dock.

if anything, it's a copy of the child bars in KDE3+

B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
              What's also interesting to note is that Windows XP will remain the sole Windows OS for consumers for sale until 2005 when Longhorn comes out.

2001->2005 == 4 years without forcing consumers to pay to upgrade their OS.

And MS has released many free updates already (.NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1, USB 2.0 support, Bluetooth support, Windows Media 9, Windows Movie Maker 2, DirectX 9, SP1, etc). And they're planning to continue updating this stuff for free until the release.

How often does Apple release a new OS X for sale? Every year almost?

hi ,

bluetooth , well if anything at all regarding this , bluetooth is a free open source standard , .... the only thing MS did was to make some programs work with it , ...

not an upgrade , .... bluetooth aint owned by ms , .....

framework for usb , .....

at least if you where to read whats posted ones in a while at www.apple.com you would know something about upgrades and our os , .....

have a nice day
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• Originally posted by panag
                hi ,

bluetooth , well if anything at all regarding this , bluetooth is a free open source standard , .... the only thing MS did was to make some programs work with it , ...

MS was one of the developers in the consortium of companies who made Bluetooth.

And Bluetooth is a "free open source standard"?
                I can tell this is not your field.

That's like me describing a Lexus as a free four-laned highway.

The Bluetooth consortium is: 3Com, Agere, Ericsson, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, Motorola, Nokia and Toshiba. Now where in that list is Apple?

not an upgrade , .... bluetooth aint owned by ms , .....
                Huh?

framework for usb , .....
                Huh?

at least if you where to read whats posted ones in a while at www.apple.com you would know something about upgrades and our os , .....
                The stuff that's posted at Apple.com is biased crap, just like **** you'd see on Microsoft.com or Intel.com, only Apple is about 4x as worse as any of the above.

I know that OS X 10.2 wasn't free, and I know that SP1 was free. I know MS isn't planning on releasing another consumer OS before 2005, and I know Apple is.

So what is that, 3 interim releases for $100+ from Apple, and 0 from MS between 2001-2005?

Meanwhile MS will have 2 interim releases, plus a steady stream of individual updates, for free...
                Last edited by Asher; May 15, 2003, 18:56.

Comment

• I have always appreciated the difference between PCs and Macs as... cost.

Macs are aimed at creative people who don't want to know the gory details of computers - they just want to use them.

PCs are for everybody else. Their raw power is greater than a Mac, but most of them have the handicap of an MS OS. The upside of the MS OS is a greater choice of software.

You get what you pay for. With Macs, you pay through the nose.
                  Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                  "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

MS was one of the developers in the consortium of companies who made Bluetooth.

And Bluetooth is a "free open source standard"?
                    I can tell this is not your field.

That's like me describing a Lexus as a free four-laned highway.

Huh?

Huh?

The stuff that's posted at Apple.com is biased crap, just like **** you'd see on Microsoft.com or Intel.com, only Apple is about 4x as worse as any of the above.

I know that OS X 10.2 wasn't free, and I know that SP1 was free. I know MS isn't planning on releasing another consumer OS before 2005, and I know Apple is.

So what is that, 3 interim releases for $100+ from Apple, and 0 from MS between 2001-2005?

Meanwhile MS will have 2 interim releases, plus a steady stream of individual updates, for free...

hi ,

ms one of the first developers , .....

not even in a thousand years , .....

you dont even know when the next ' CAT ' from apple hits the market , ..... tsk , tsk , .....

are you sure you know what bluetooth is and what it stands for , ......

oh , btw , panag was one of the first 100 "sig" users , ....

have a nice day
                    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

hi ,

ms one of the first developers , .....
                      Look, man, here's the list of developers from the Bluetooth website: 3Com, Agere, Ericsson, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, Motorola, Nokia and Toshiba.

Now if you look really close, you'll see that Microsoft is on there, and Apple is not on there.

Give it up, you've no idea what you're talking about, you're an Apple PR machine...

are you sure you know what bluetooth is and what it stands for , ......
                      You're questioning my knowledge about computer technology?

The official website for the Bluetooth wireless technology. Get up to date specifications, news, and development info.

click the "All Members" button in the bottom right.

You'll see there are different levels:
                      Promoter Members
                      The Bluetooth SIG promoter members include: 3Com, Agere, Ericsson, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, Motorola, Nokia, and Toshiba. Promoter companies are highly engaged in the strategic and [b]technical development of Bluetooth wireless technology[b]. In addition to sitting on the Board of Directors, Promoter members sit on the Bluetooth Qualification Review Board (BQRB), and dedicate hundreds of individuals to the Committees and Working Groups that guide the ongoing development and promotion of the technology.

Apple is a "second class" member, an "Associate Member", along with about 1000 other companies that don't do much but use the technology...not to mention they have to pay an annual fee.

I thought you said bluetooth was "free" and "open-source"

It's also interesting to point out Apple didn't play a role in Bluetooth's development, while MS did. Seems you got that backwards, too.

Cut your losses, man.
                      Last edited by Asher; May 15, 2003, 19:08.

Comment

Look, man, here's the list of developers from the Bluetooth website: 3Com, Agere, Ericsson, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, Motorola, Nokia and Toshiba.

Now if you look really close, you'll see that Microsoft is on there, and Apple is not on there.

Give it up, you've no idea what you're talking about, you're an Apple PR machine...

hi ,

ms was not even near when bluettoth was born , ....

check the older statements from the wall street journal , cnn , etc , ....

and huh , where does any of the above posts say that apple was there from the start , ....

being registerd member no 96 from the special intrest group has its benefits , ....

MS came way later , .... when they saw the light of it , ......

after they had been saying for years that there was no future what so ever in it , ....

have a nice day

Comment

hi ,

oh yes , if you where to know about bluetooth then you would know that bluetooth .com came way later , after this > www.bluetooth.org , ......

have a nice day

Comment

hi ,

ms was not even near when bluettoth was born , ....

check the older statements from the wall street journal , cnn , etc , ....

and huh , where does any of the above posts say that apple was there from the start , ....

being registerd member no 96 from the special intrest group has its benefits , ....

MS came way later , .... when they saw the light of it , ......

after they had been saying for years that there was no future what so ever in it , ....

have a nice day
                            You're pulling this all out of your ass.

The official website for the Bluetooth wireless technology. Get up to date specifications, news, and development info.

Promoter Members being the highest
                            The Bluetooth SIG promoter members include: 3Com, Agere, Ericsson, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, Motorola, Nokia, and Toshiba. Promoter companies are highly engaged in the strategic and technical development of Bluetooth wireless technology. In addition to sitting on the Board of Directors, Promoter members sit on the Bluetooth Qualification Review Board (BQRB), and dedicate hundreds of individuals to the Committees and Working Groups that guide the ongoing development and promotion of the technology.

Apple is a "second class" member, an "Associate Member", along with about 1000 other companies that don't do much but use the technology...not to mention they have to pay an annual fee.

It's also interesting to point out Apple didn't play a role in Bluetooth's development, while MS did. Seems you got that backwards, too.

Cut your losses, man.

Comment

You're pulling this all out of your ass.

Promoter Members being the highest
                              The Bluetooth SIG promoter members include: 3Com, Agere, Ericsson, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, Motorola, Nokia, and Toshiba. Promoter companies are highly engaged in the strategic and technical development of Bluetooth wireless technology. In addition to sitting on the Board of Directors, Promoter members sit on the Bluetooth Qualification Review Board (BQRB), and dedicate hundreds of individuals to the Committees and Working Groups that guide the ongoing development and promotion of the technology.

Cut your losses, man.

hi ,

if i where to pull it from my behind , then how com i happen to be one of the speakers at the conference in holland in june , ....

have a nice day

Comment

• "Make a Wish Foundation", perhaps?

BTW, I'm going to be the keynote speaker at the Intel Developer Forum 2004.

Comment

Working...
                                X