What separates a Mac from a PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
    Why would I expend the effort to take a screenshot when you're the one who's wrong? You don't know what you're talking about and trying to score points by claiming I'm "delaying" because I won't post a screenshot won't change that.
    Yeah it really gets tired after a while. I guess we can put it down to immaturity and not getting out enough. I for one am fed up of my arguments being ignored.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

• I'm not here to waste my time posting screenshots in order to alleviate your ignorance. I'm here to butt in occasionally with some smartass remark.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon
        No. It's easier to capture things that are at the edge of the screen.
        You don't understand Fitts' law, that's not what it says.

Please don't argue about things you don't know, even I'm embarassed for you.

From my textbook:
        Fitts' Law: time to get the mouse pointer to an onscreen area = a + b * log2((D/S) + 1)
        where a and b are emperical numbers, but most of the time a = 0 and b = 0.1
        D is the distance to the area
        S is the size of the area

Now, if you need to move the mouse to activate the window, then again up to the top, D is going to be much larger in OS X than in Windows.

Further, since most of the time the cursors are near the center of the screen, Fitts' law states the time is going to be greater if you need to move the mouse even farther up (always to the top edge of the screen).

If you're going to pretend like you know what you're talking about, at least do your research.

You think I'm going to set him up with you.
        Yeah, that's what I thought.

What's to be afraid of?

For your information, the UofT doesn't exactly have a well-respected compsci program. Even the UofC kicked their ass pretty badly at least year's ACM Olympics...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I'm not here to waste my time posting screenshots in order to alleviate your ignorance. I'm here to butt in occasionally with some smartass remark.
          Everyone reading this probably knows as well as I do the reason you won't take the screenshot is because you can't read Apple's text below size 8 when they have anti-aliasing turned on (hence why Apple disabled it by default).
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Yeah it really gets tired after a while. I guess we can put it down to immaturity and not getting out enough. I for one am fed up of my arguments being ignored.
            What does asher not getting out enough have anything to do with him not knowing about macs?

I for one would say if he stays at home and geeks out all day he would know a lot more.

So stop trolling and bashing someone for no reason.
            :-p

Comment

I'm not here to waste my time posting screenshots [.......] I'm here to butt in occasionally with some smartass remark.
              he's got a point there ashy

Comment

I'm not here to waste my time posting screenshots in order to alleviate your ignorance. I'm here to butt in occasionally with some smartass remark.
                Sounds like a concession of defeat to me!
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Yeah it really gets tired after a while. I guess we can put it down to immaturity and not getting out enough. I for one am fed up of my arguments being ignored.

I hear you, but it just comes with the territory when arguing with Asher. You'll never get him to admit that he doesn't know everything, so you just have to know when to call it a day, for sanity's sake. I, for example, will be leaving in about 30 minutes to get pissed. You forget all about annoying Canadians when you have a beer in one hand and a girl in the other.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Sounds like a concession of defeat to me!
                    you can say that, but If I was in Drake's position and I knew for sure I was right, I'd be too lazy to post screenies myself.

But if you cant prove it, you have to face the facts you've lost!

Comment

• Everyone reading this probably knows as well as I do the reason you won't take the screenshot is because you can't read Apple's text below size 8 when they have anti-aliasing turned on (hence why Apple disabled it by default).

I really wouldn't know. I don't think I've ever used 8 point font in my life.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• I for one am fed up of my arguments being ignored.
                        The reason they're largely being ignored is because they're nonsensical. Your argument boils down to "I like it, it's fine for me" -- which is fine. My problem is you're trying to argue pseudo-scientifically to enforce your position, and you're talking out of your ass and throwing impressive sounding words like Fitts' law and bragging about how intelligent your roommate is (but refuse to put him in touch with me).

You're out of your league. Tell me you like it because you think it's nifty and then I'll say "fine".

Comment

• Quick, post a screenshot or we think you are just avoiding.

Comment

quote:
                            And how do you explain the lack of a disk defragmenter?

Apparently it doesn't need one. At least I haven't seen scores of X users foaming at the mouth to get hold of one, which would indicate such a need. The system does various cleanups when you leave it on. There are free apps to do this sort of stuff if you don't leave it on.
                            I cant see how its a good thing that an OS doesnt have defrag. Not need it? Windows doesnt either. But it will run things like piece of ****. Thats for sure.

Comment

• OS X also lacks XP's prefetcher, which intelligently monitors how often programs are launched and, when the computer is idle, moves them to faster portions of the harddisk and puts them in contiguous memory so they load much faster.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                                OS X also lacks XP's prefetcher, which intelligently monitors how often programs are launched and, when the computer is idle, moves them to faster portions of the harddisk and puts them in contiguous memory so they load much faster.
                                ive noticed this and I like it.

You can goto control panel and check out which programs are being used often/sometimes/rarely/never as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X