U.S. Troops Fire on Iraq Protesters Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Troops Fire on Iraq Protesters Again

*Groan* Man, this downward spiral is starting to pick up some more steam...

U.S. Troops Fire on Iraq Protesters Again
    21 minutes ago

By CHARLES J. HANLEY, AP Special Correspondent

FALLUJAH, Iraq - U.S. troops opened fire on anti-American demonstrators for the second time this week as Iraqis marched Wednesday to protest the previous shooting. At least two Iraqis were seen to be wounded.

The gunfire came less than 48 hours after a shooting during a demonstration Monday night that hospital officials said killed 13 Iraqis.

There was no immediate indication of any American casualties.

About 1,000 residents were marching down Fallujah's main street and stopped in front of a battalion headquarters of the U.S. Army's 82nd Airborne Division. They were carrying signs condemning Monday night's shooting.

When some protesters started throwing rocks and shoes at the U.S.-held compound — a former office of Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s ruling Baath Party — troops inside suddenly opened fire at about 10:30 a.m., according to Associated Press reporters on the scene.

The demonstrators scattered, leaving two of their number fallen. Others came back and picked up the wounded and carried them off.

U.S. Capt. Jeff Wilbur, 25, of Annapolis, Md., a civil affairs officer for the 1st Battalion's 325 Airborne regimen, said the United States was investigating whether protesters had fired on troops. He said it was not clear whether any Americans were hurt in Wednesday's incident.

Iraqi city officials who witnessed the gunfire said they saw or heard no shooting from among the protesters.

U.S. Apache attack helicopters circled the site throughout the march and the aftermath, but did not open fire.

"Why? The demonstrators didn't use guns, so why should the soldiers start attacking them?" asked the imam of the Grand Fallujah Mosque, Jamal Shaqir Mahmood.

He said the Americans should pull out of Fallujah — or at least cut back their forces.

"There is no (Iraqi) military presence here. Why is there an American military presence? We just want a reduction in the numbers," he said.

The incident, coupled with the deaths Monday outside a school in Fallujah, a conservative Sunni Muslim city and Baath Party stronghold 30 miles west of the capital, are increasing tension as American troops try to keep the peace in Iraq (news - web sites).

In the Monday night clash, U.S. Central Command said paratroopers of the 82nd Airborne were fired on by about 25 armed civilians mixed within an estimated crowd of 200 protesters outside a compound where the troops were staying.

Demonstrators said no gunfire came from their side during the Monday night incident.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

I wonder if Powell is going to condemn that...
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

U.S. troops opened fire on anti-American demonstrators for the second time this week as Iraqis marched Wednesday to protest the previous shooting.
      Last edited by Kropotkin; April 30, 2003, 04:32.

Comment

.. yes, where Iraqis fired on US soldiers in the first one .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I guess my question is this: With both this latest incident and the one on Monday...where are the imbedded media in all this?
          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

So they where throwing rocks and shoes (!?) on a building? Sounds like something from "Life of Brian"...

Comment

Maybe someone of the Shoe-throwing Protestors had smelly feet and the US-Soldiers saw it as some kind of Gas-attack
              Last edited by Proteus_MST; April 30, 2003, 05:14.
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Yet another clear sign that the Iraqis didn't mind being "liberated" they just didn't want it done by the hated Americans. Imagine how the Americans would have felt in the 60's if the Russians had "liberated" them from Nixon
                Operation Iraqi Freedom my ass. I bet the Iraqis feel really free right now with American troops shooting at them.

-Jam
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

We liked Nixon. Until we didn't. Then he left.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

People who blames this terrible tragedy on the brave US soldiers who are putting their lives on the line for our freedoms are just a bunch of arrogant anti-american whiners who do know nothing.

The Iraqis obviously started the fight by shooting first and the American investigation will prove this because American soldiers would never shoot at a unarmed civilians.

Enough with the attacks on US soldiers. Now is not the time to criticise their valiant efforts to liberate Iraq.
                    Golfing since 67

Comment

American soldiers would never shoot at a unarmed civilians.
                      That is possible the most untrue thing I have ever read. Have you ever considered a career as a politician or fantasy novelist? Shooting at unarmed citizens (whether intended or accidental) is something the US army is very skilled at.

-Jam
                      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Freedom for Iraq

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
                          People who blames this terrible tragedy on the brave US soldiers who are putting their lives on the line for our freedoms are just a bunch of arrogant anti-american whiners who do know nothing.

The Iraqis obviously started the fight by shooting first and the American investigation will prove this because American soldiers would never shoot at a unarmed civilians.

Enough with the attacks on US soldiers. Now is not the time to criticise their valiant efforts to liberate Iraq.
                          Well said Tingkai.

The core question here is: What on earth would be the motive for US soldiers to shoot at a group of civilians, if not for the fact that the group of civilians shot first?

Get a sense of logic, folks.

Besides, I'm not too thrilled at the rather obvious, and highly suspect underlying thoughts for this thread, and others before it. "Yippee! The Americans are hurting and harassing the Iraqi people! Told you so!"

What a miserable world view.

Comment

miserable are those who support aggression and war aganist another country and the occupation forces

we kill you for your own good can't you see that???!!!

Comment

What would be the motive for US soldiers to shoot at a group of civilians, if not for the fact that the group of civilians shot first?
                              Who needs a motive if you're a nineteen year old cowboy with an automatic weapon surrounded by people you refer to as "rag-heads"

How about this car full of women and children that got shot up because the ruddy Yanks thought it might be a suicide bomber? Who goes car bombing with the wife and kids? I know I don't.

-Jam

Comment

Working...
                              X