No announcement yet.

Best Album Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt any of the ones I'm going to mention below will rate as "best album ever", but since I class that as "high replay value" here's the albums that have ended up on my tape deck / CD player the most...

Elvis Costello – My Aim Is True - definitely the top one on my list (which reminds me...I need to replace the tape and get the remastered CD).

Dexys Midnight Runners – Searching For the Young Soul Rebels - forget Kevin Rowland's over large ego, and the collapse of the band after this...this is THE DMR album, not that pseudo-folk pap Rowland did next.

The Stranglers – Rattus Norvegicus - I really don't think anything needs to be said...better than No More Heroes.

Talking Heads – Stop Making Sense (either really, but the full version in preference) - in my mind the best live album...and the film's excellent as well.

The Specials – The Specials - the best of late 70s Ska. The follow up's good (More Specials) as well.

The Divine Comedy – A Short Album About Love - Neil gets to play with a full band. So what if it's only 7 tracks long...they are 7 very good tracks.

...and finally...this is sort of an extra since it only came out last year, but it has found its way onto my CD player a number of times, and just seems to work for me:
    The Polyphonic Spree – The Beginning Stages Of…

Comment

No Order

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks
      Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
      Run DMC - Raising Hell
      Human League - Dare
      Carmina Burana - Eugen Jockum/ Deutsche Grammophon

Each Innovative in its own way.
      - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
      - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
      - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Ok here we go....

The Clash - London Calling
        Michael Jackson - Thriller
        The Cramps - Date with Elvis
        David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
        Stone Roses - that lemon album...
        Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Theres more weird music probably only I like, but I wont bug you with that...

Comment

Surely that's part of the point. Oh well.

I made a top 10 list a couple of months ago, wish I could remember all of it, but I'll just improvise one together.

1. The Kinks - The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society (1968): Impeccable theme, gorgeous yet simple arrangement and production, only good songs... Unmissable.

2. The Paragons - On The Beach With The Paragons (1967): Super hits and should-have-been-hits package from the most thoroughly excellent Jamaican group ever.

3. David Bowie - Scary Monsters... And Super Creeps (1980): Bowie tries introspection for once with spectacular results. Lyrically my favourite album.

4. Modern Lovers - Modern Lovers (1972/76): Punk starts here. Jonathan Richman is the god of nerds.

5. The Stooges - Fun House (1970): Punk starts here. Oh wait, I said that for the last one didn't I?

6. Missy Elliott - Under Construction (2002): Perfectly constructed Timbaland beats in their most perfect collaboration to date. Still more potential there.

7. Phil Spector (et al) - A Christmas Gift For You (1963): The textbook, man, the textbook.

8. Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska (1982): Just him, an acoustic guitar, a harmonica and, er, a glockenspeil. Gotta love it.

9. Aaliyah - Aaliyah (2000): Okay, so I love modern, Timbaland-produced soul.

10. The White Stripes - Elephant (2003): Brilliant. We've entered a new renaissance of great music, I tell ye!
          Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
          Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Springsteen-Born to Run

No particular order

Yes - Relayer
            Sex Pistols - Never mind the Bollocks
            The Clash - The Clash (green cover)
            Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
            Led Zep - All of them

Special Mention

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath, Paranoid
            AC/DC - Highway to Hell
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Ahhh...Bowie.
              I knew I forgot someone.

Hunky Dory for him.

Comment

1.) Dark Side of the Moon-Pink Floyd

2.) Led Zep II -Led Zep

3.) Born To Run-Bruce and the E-Street

4.) Grand Illusion-Styx

5.) Bat out of Hell - Meatloaf

6.) White Album - Beatles

7.) Paranoid - Black Sabbath

8.) Let it Be - Beatles

9.) Chicago II - Chicago

10.) Two for the Show - Kansas

Just realized that I am showing my age by this list! Oh well...the Sages told me my Golden Age was over.
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

My personal favorite Bowie song is "Five years"... I don't know why.

Snapcase - I can easily imagine you loathing all of Kansas' work after their debut album, but have you heard their debut album?
                  "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                  Drake Tungsten
                  "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                  Albert Speer

Comment

No.
                    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

It blows all their other stuff out of the water - pretty cool rock and roll album actually, I remember it having extremely few prog rock elements at all.
                      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                      Drake Tungsten
                      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                      Albert Speer

Comment

Yh Uh! Almost forgot this excellent album now pumping in my system and really getting into my spinal tap..

Herbaliser - Blow Your Headphones.. jeesh, every track is awesome. Really cool mellow beats.
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I can't believe I forgot about "Thriller".
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

1. Beatles- Revolver
                            2. Beatles- Help!
                            3. NOFX- Punk in Drublic
                            4. Eels- Electro-shock Blues
                            5. Beatles- Rubber Soul
                            6. Bad Religion- The Process of Belief
                            7. Dead Kennedys- Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
                            8. Beatles- Abbey Road
                            9. MXPX- Slowly Going the Way of the Buffalo
                            10. Beatles- White Album

This doesn't take into account Classical recordings, of which there are too many great ones to list.
                            http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

I see electronic grooves and atmosphere is not very popular here.. you infidels.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Hey, it could be argued that Eels makes use of electronic grooves.
                                "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                                "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                                "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

Working...
                                X