X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J Bytheway
    Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
    Which college are you at in Cambridge?

Pembroke. But I probably shouldn't say - anyone can locate me now . Not that it would have been so hard previously for non-fools...
    Brilliant. I'm deciding between Pembroke and Emma. You're at the one, Chowlett's at the other.
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Brilliant. I'm deciding between Pembroke and Emma. You're at the one, Chowlett's at the other.
      Pembroke is perfect for me - small, very friendly. I don't know much about Emma, but I do know thet Emma has ducks whereas we eat ducks .

What subject? I'm doing maths and Pembroke got very good maths results this year - our director of studies is a hard task-master but he gets good results.

Good luck with your application.

Comment

NatSci with 25% CS. The director of CS is a bioinformatician, which is kind of where I was going, so I'm leaning towards Pembroke.

But I like ducks
        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

NatSci with 25% CS. The director of CS is a bioinformatician, which is kind of where I was going, so I'm leaning towards Pembroke.

Some of my best friends are CompScis () - they say 25%ers get a bit of a raw deal if they wish to continue with CS, since you miss some fairly crucial courses. I had a similar experience since I did Maths with Physics for the first year, and ended up doing the whole Maths course any way so I don't have to catch up this coming year. Doing 1.25 courses is tough going.

But I like ducks

To eat, right? I'd never eaten duck before, but I kind of like it now - it certainly beats the pasta option. I've never known anyone ruin pasta as thoroughly as they do at Pembroke.

But anyhow, must stop rambling. What was the topic of this thread again?..

Comment

I'd love to play in it providing the times are right etc and my 56k modem will be fast enough. I've never played over the net before how long do games useually last?
            Shores Of Valinor.com - The Premier Tolkien Community -

Comment

I waited so long for this!!!
              i really think there should be such a tournament.
              tell me when it starts
              please????????
              if you haven't tried something you'll never know what you've missed!!!

Comment

Dreg's right. When is the starting date Lucutus? BTW Mark must be having a hard time selling that stuff in the poly store or else he wouldn't be offering us a discount.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Don't let this damp your enthusiasm, but if the CTP1 tournament is anyhthing to go by it will take months to hammer out the rules - but I think it might well be quicker over here. It would certainly help if more people posted their preferences (*hint*).

Comment

Has anyone suggested emailing everyone on the MP registry yet? That would get you participants...

Comment

Turambar & dregman,
                      Great to hear you guys are in

That brings the list to five:
                      1. Oerdin
                      2. Maquiladora
                      3. Immortal Wombat
                      4. Turambar
                      5. dregman

As far as starting date goes, basically we'll start when everything is set. We first need to get enough players together. Hopefully I'll be able so send email again tomorrow, at which point I plan to email everyone in the MP Registry. After that I will post in a number of related forums. All in the hope to getting more people involved. I think we should give participants at least another week to sign up, maybe longer (depending on how much time I have for advertising).

In the meantime we need to figure out the rules and setup of the tournament. As John said, we need everyone to post his preferences so we can compare and discuss. I don't think this will take as long as for the CtP1 World Cup as that tourny was supposed to be the ultimate test, while this tourny is just a tourny. If we really get stuck, I or some other staff member could if it's really necessary simply set the rules and say that anyone who doesn't agree is out of luck (but I'd prefer to have some sort of consensus of course).

Once enough participants have signed up and the rules have been set, the tourny can start. If everything goes perfectly, we might be able to start next week. If things go a little slow and we can't agree on the rules and stuff, it could be several weeks, maybe a month before the tourny can actually begin.

BTW, I think Apolyton CtP2 MP Tournament is a little boring for a title, anyone have better suggestions? I was thinking CtP2 Lemur Trophy myself...
                      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

LOL, crossposted with IW. Yes, Ben, I've mentioned that I would do that several times already (although only twice publicly )
                        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Do you need a really fast modem to play? How long does a game usually last?
                          Shores Of Valinor.com - The Premier Tolkien Community -

Comment

No, you dont need a fast modem, the host would preferably have a faster connection but i havent noticed a difference. The speed of the game depends on the size of the map and how many human players. Ive had a 2 player game on a small map last for about 4 hours total playing time. And some VERY quick 3/4 player games on a regular map too.
                            Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                            CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                            One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

There is a possibility of having a time limit on each game. Say 3/4 hours and whoever has more Cities/Points/Advances by the time limit, if the game hasnt finished, then that player wins. I dont like that alot, but its good for quick games.
                              Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                              CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                              One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Originally posted by Turambar
                                Do you need a really fast modem to play? How long does a game usually last?
                                It is important for the host to be on a fast modem but as long as the others are atleast on a 56.6 with a good clean connection things should be fine. Other important factors are the server being used and real life location of the players. When players are located all over the world you tend to get more resynchs but the game will still work.

Game length varies with map size & settings along with the play style of the people playing. I've been in some MP games were someone one in 30minutes I've been in some that took up to 20 hours. It all depends.

Still the smaller the map the shorter the game is a good hard and fast rule.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X