Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colonies

It worked! It Worked!
    I think it is a good idea and it did worked . One of the things i always thought funny was the city bein in the unit.txt and since i could change the units, why not change the cities?

The first thing in my mind was to make the Leviathon has Pop and can build but it did not work out.
    Then a lamp lighted over my head . Why not make Colonies like civ3 to get resources? And it did worked.

Here is what i did:

1) I Copied the UNIT_CITY, paste it and changeg the name to UNIT_COLONY. I deleted the lines city growth coefficient and NeedsNoSupport. I also gave it a simbolic foodhunger.

2) I created the unit Colonizer. A settler with the lines SettleCityType UNIT_COLONY and SettleSize 0.

3) I went over the Citysize*.txt files and where there was the CITYSIZE_ZERO i changed the line RadiusVision from 1.414 to 0 in all these files.

As a result i got a Unit (the colonizer) that could settle a Colony: City wich has Pop 0, cant grow and does not have radius (The radius is the colony itself).

Conclusions: This new city type could be used to get Goods outside of yours cities borders but it does not need roads like in civ3 what i think it is better because that way you can build overseas colonies. And it still can build what isnt a bad feature it even looks realistic.

We just need to teach the AI to build this colonies over the Goods and to make the colonies disband itself when another city's radius reachs it. A new city sprite was also going to be nice although the Ancient Palace type of city sprite of Martins CityMod2 looks perfect.

What you guys think? Any pros and cons?
    Last edited by Pedrunn; September 5, 2001, 14:34.
    "Kill a man and you are a murder.
    Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
    Kill all and you are a God!"
    -Jean Rostand

cool!

How about making it size 1, I don't like size 0 there have to be some people. Could you post the file or the text you edited. I think making the leviathon able to build would be great, but only units. That way you could have units made in the leviathon. I think the reason you couldn't get the leviathon to build stuff is that it can move.

Comment

Having size 0 is what makes it work. To get this annoyng zero out of the colony we need a new sprite. but i cant make it. Can anyone make this sprite? Martin couldnt you just take the name and the number of the city out of the Ancient palace sprite of your CityMod2?

Still there are the folowing problems:
      -The AI wouldnt know how to use it
      -It takes a tile of a city when this city expands its radius over it
      - It becomes a regular city when it receives a slave .
      -It expands the civ borders too much.

This problems are the ones i could not solve any suggestions?

Here are the things i changed in the text files:

I added in the Unit.txt

Code:
      UNIT_COLONY {
         Description DESCRIPTION_UNIT_CITY
         DefaultIcon ICON_UNIT_CITY
         DefaultSprite SPRITE_CITY 
         Category UNIT_CATEGORY_GENERIC
         Attack 0
         Defense 0
         ZBRangeAttack 0
         Firepower 0
         Armor 0
         MaxHP 0
         ShieldCost 0
         PowerPoints 1000
         ShieldHunger 0
         FoodHunger 20
         MaxMovePoints 0
         VisionRange 0
         ActiveDefenseRange 0
         LossMoveToDmgNone
         MaxFuel 0
         HasPopAndCanBuild
         CantBuild
         NoIndex
         CantCaptureCity
         SoundSelect1 SOUND_SELECT1_CITY
         SoundSelect2 SOUND_SELECT2_CITY
         SoundMove SOUND_MOVE_CITY
         SoundAcknowledge SOUND_ACKNOWLEDGE_CITY
         SoundCantMove SOUND_CANTMOVE_CITY
         SoundAttack SOUND_ATTACK_CITY
         SoundWork SOUND_WORK_CITY
         SoundVictory SOUND_VICTORY_CITY
         SoundDeath SOUND_DEATH_CITY

CanSee: Standard
         MovementType: Land
         MovementType: Mountain
         Size: Medium
         VisionClass: Standard

Revolution {
            Sound SOUND_ID_REVOLUTION
            Effect SPECEFFECT_REVOLUTION
         }
      }
      and this one has to be added after the Settler Data:

Code:

##	UNIT	101	
      UNIT_COLONIZER	{		
      DefaultIcon	ICON_UNIT_SETTLER		
      Description	DESCRIPTION_UNIT_SETTLER		
      DefaultSprite	SPRITE_SETTLER		
      Category	UNIT_CATEGORY_SETTLER		
      Attack	0		
      Defense	10		
      ZBRangeAttack	0		
      Firepower	1		
      Armor	1		
      MaxHP	10		
      ShieldCost	300		
      PowerPoints	300		
      ShieldHunger	0		
      FoodHunger	0		
      MaxMovePoints	200		
      VisionRange	1		
      EnableAdvance	ADVANCE_TRADE	
      ActiveDefenseRange	0		
      MaxFuel	0		
      CanSee:	Standard		

MovementType:	Land		
      MovementType:	Mountain		
      Settle:	Land		
      Settle:	Mountain	
      Size:	Small		
      VisionClass:	Standard		
      SoundSelect1	SOUND_SELECT1_SETTLER		
      SoundSelect2	SOUND_SELECT2_SETTLER		
      SoundMove	SOUND_MOVE_SETTLER		
      SoundAcknowledge	SOUND_ACKNOWLEDGE_SETTLER		
      SoundCantMove	SOUND_CANTMOVE_SETTLER		
      SoundAttack	SOUND_ATTACK_SETTLER		
      SoundWork	SOUND_WORK_SETTLER		
      SoundVictory	SOUND_VICTORY_SETTLER		
      SoundDeath	SOUND_DEATH_SETTLER		
      LossMoveToDmgNone			
      NoZoc			
      CanBeExpelled			
      CantCaptureCity			
      DeathEffectsHappy			
      BuildingRemovesAPop			
      OnlyBuildOne			
      IsSpecialForces			
      Civilian			
      SettleCityType	UNIT_COLONY		
      SettleSize	0		
      }

This one has to be raplace all the CITYSIZE_ZERO data in all the Citysize*.txt

Code:
      CITYSIZE_ZERO {
      		Population	 0
      		SquaredRadius	 0
      		IntRadius	 0
      		MaxWorkers	 0
      		GrowthRate 	 60
      		MinGrowthRate 	 2500
      		MaxSurplusFood 	 250
      		BaseOvercrowding   4
      		BaseMaxPop 	 0
      		VisionRadius	 0
      }
      I will try to solve the given problems
      Last edited by Pedrunn; September 5, 2001, 19:57.
      "Kill a man and you are a murder.
      Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
      Kill all and you are a God!"
      -Jean Rostand

Comment

If you create a building "colony", make it unbuildable, and include it as one of the automatically built buildings in a colony, then you can use it to distinguish colonies from cities.
        Then you can disallow colonies from building for instance, wonders, or certain buildings and units.

eg.
        Code:
        mod_CanCityBuildWonder(city_t colony, int_t wonder)
        {
         if(CityHasBuilding(colony, "IMPROVE_COLONY")){
            return 0;
         } else{
            return 1;
         }
        }
        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Awesome Job Pedrunn

Comment

nice work pedrunn(you must have stopped the World Cup celebrations i guess? ), this could be a great little strategic addition to CTP2 - i'm all for that. Will it be able to be killed like a normal city upon capture? Or maybe the invaiding army would be able to take it over?that would make you want to keep units around to protect it?
            'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

this thread is nearly a year old...
              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

IW,
                Why spoil one of only 64 building on it? Terraforming the terrain or adding a tileimp will do just as well...

The only real problem I see with this solution is slavery: you want to stop it from becoming a real city due to slavery at all cost, but I don't see how this could be accomplished...
                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Terraforming the terrain or adding a tileimp will do just as well...
                  Almost. Terraforming would destroy the good, tileimps can be laid under cities?
                  I thought the 64 building limit was only to those that could be built and have an effect? It you place it as the 65th, then it wouldn't need to even have an effect, just to be there.

Comment

Great idea!!!!!

whys there such a big gap b/w Pedrunn's and Immortal Wombat's first posts?

Comment

I couldn't be bothered to reply 10 months ago. Then Locutus linked to it in the Civ3 resources thread, and I thought this thread was worth bumping. Its a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                        Almost. Terraforming would destroy the good, tileimps can be laid under cities?
                        D'oh! Good point about the terraforming.

Yes, laying tile imps under cities works just fine...

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                          this thread is nearly a year old...
                          That'll teach me to skim through the posts, without looking at the dates

Anyway, it is a good idea and has a lot of potential for adding a great addition to the game.

Comment

The only real problem I see with this solution is slavery: you must at all cost avoid that colonies can turn into regular cities due to slavery, but I see no way of realizing this (except by disallowing any units from entering the colony, but that doesn't make sense either). I think all the other issues can be worked out, but I'm not too sure about this one...

Comment

what does the colonizer cost: 1pt or 1/2 pt or just the resouces

Comment

Working...
                              X