Colonies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
    this might be one thing to look at, especially if coupled with Martins in-progress Good dependant Mod.
    The first thing that came to my mind when i read that thread was this colonies system.

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
    I couldn't be bothered to reply 10 months ago. Then Locutus linked to it in the Civ3 resources thread, and I thought this thread was worth bumping. Its a good idea.
    Funny i never knew Locutus had linked this thread. It just dropped since there was no solution to the slavers bug

PS: This idea dont have to be forgotten at all. It can be use in scenarios with no slaves.
    I even plan to use it in my Space Scenario (I will finish it one day) since it is not going to have slavers.
    The UI problem could be solved by changing its name adding a "*" before the city name.
    Just hit me :Isnt there a way to rename cities by slic?
    "Kill a man and you are a murder.
    Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
    Kill all and you are a God!"
    -Jean Rostand

Comment

CoT,
      The happiness system in CtP2 is set up differently than the one in Civ2: even with pop 0 you can still have unhappiness (I think, never actually tested it), but that's not a big deal because SLIC can deal with that.

Originally posted by Pedrunn
      The UI problem could be solved by changing its name adding a "*" before the city name.
      Yes, but when I want to know how far I am from hitting the city limit, I just check the total number of cities, a statistic that would become meaningless when colonies are introduced...

Just hit me :Isnt there a way to rename cities by slic?
      No, I'm afraid not. SLIC is very poor with strings (=text)...
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
        Yes, but when I want to know how far I am from hitting the city limit, I just check the total number of cities, a statistic that would become meaningless when colonies are introduced...
        Surely it wouldn't be too difficult or annoying to have an information message each turn or maybe every N turns (with a few choices for N) e.g. "Your mighty civ consists of 15 cities and 5 colonies - you must arrest your expansion soon or suffer unhappiness (at 20 cities)". I was considering a similar (but more involved) thing for culture.

Comment

Weren't you one of the guys who posted a 'can we have a Civ3 mod?' thread...
          Oh, right. So if it's Civ 3 style? I still want such a mod to be reality.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

John,
            I guess that's possible. In this case you could even make a message pop up whenever you threaten to approach the city limit, not just when you're already past it...

Solver,
            Well, one of the things we do here is take ideas from Civ3, improve them, and put them in CtP2 So yeah, kinda like Civ3

Comment

Yeah, but now how real it is that we will do it all? Oh, and we can't, alas, reach civ 3 in diplomacy.

Comment

Why not? It takes time but CtP2's diplomacy is getting better and better all the time... some say it's already better than Civ3 (more choices, more dynamic)

Comment

Yeah, but the system can't be the same. I don't think the CtP 2 engine will allow a I give you X AND Y for Z.

Comment

Well, my human2human diplomacy system does...

But for the AI, I wouldn't know. The AI can probably handle it, but I'm not sure if the UI can...

Comment

Well, my human2human diplomacy system does...
                      Did you make any progress with the string problems you were having there?

Comment

No, 'fraid not. Haven't made any progress. Being an Apolyton staff member is very time-consuming work, I'm afraid, especially when combined with a busy personal life (or at least the way I do it)

Comment

That's why you should forget about staff and head to it! UI can be tweaked, right? Because my wishlist is:

1) Strategic resources (quite real)
                          2) Such complex diplomacy
                          3) Culture

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                            That's why you should forget about staff and head to it! UI can be tweaked, right? Because my wishlist is:

1) Strategic resources (quite real)
                            2) Such complex diplomacy
                            3) Culture
                            Could you point me to where strategic resources is being solved? I would really like this in CTP2.

As to number 2, I think the Diplomacy in CTP2 has the potential to be much more advanced than Civ III (in terms of the variety of diplomatic options presented), however, the AI doesn't seem to respond to offers very well or at all.

example: I am playing a game where I have been cutting through the Yamato like a hot knife through butter (the problem now is that if I take any more cities I'm over the 60 city limit for a caliphate), however when I offer peace, I ask for some gold in return. If I ask for 1000, no way. 500 no way. I have only ever managed to extract 100 gold out of the AI. But I'm ranked #1 in all categories and whipping up on them.

Also, trading world maps: I ask for theirs and offer 10,000 gold, they still won't give it. (I have from time to time received world maps from the AI however, just very infrequently).

If I knew enough about all the text files, it seems that there should (or may) be a place where the AI is given relative weights for each of its responses to diplomacy just as it is assigned weights for attacking cities or defeneding or pillaging imporvements. Perhaps these could be relaxed a little, so the AI would enter into more deals. Right now it's down to peace/no peace.

Comment

Well if the UI for diplomacy can be made advanced enough, that the AI can be tweaked by the programmers, too.

I remember offering 70 thousand gold for the last Alliance I needed to get the Diplo win.

Comment

A variation on the concept of strategic resources is being tackled in the 'Good possibilities' thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X