a few observations on leader generation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hurry
    In event 29 I would ALWAYS get a Leader if I attacked with an elite unit. A non-elite unit would always be upgraded. However, if I already had got a leader in event 16, a new Leader would not appear in event 29. If the only thing considered was if the random number falls under the 1/16 chance, I would get two leaders during my Test2 run. I did not. Only one leader.
    you should run a test with caching-in the leader (converting it to an army, or otherwise getting rid of it) to see if the problem is having more than one un-used leader at the same time. i KNOW i have gotten more than one leader in a single turn, but i rushed the first leader back to a city and hurried a wonder before getting the second. if i had the save game for it i would test myself.

i'm inclined to think that only one leader is allowed at a time, the availble LEADER window on the mil advisor screen also seems to imply this.

Comment

I am almost CERTAIN you can have only one unused leader at a time. I'd strongly recommend using them ASAP, especially if the war isn't over yet. First leader should, I think, ALWAYS be converted into an army. If you're fast, you can do that in one turn, and keep attacking to get another!

Comment

I've been playing the game for a couple of weeks none stop, and I tend to always play as the Zulu, but not once have I ever made a leader. I have destroyed many civs trying to cough one up, but I just can't. All I get is a squad of elite warriors and Impis.
        I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

you should run a test with caching-in the leader (converting it to an army, or otherwise getting rid of it) to see if the problem is having more than one un-used leader at the same time.
          Ok, thanks for the tip . I did the test. It turned out just as you suspected. If i immediately used my leader from event 16 to rush a building, I would get another one on event 29.

So, I would say this is the fact until someone come up with proof of having several leaders at the same time:

YOU CAN HAVE NO MORE THAN ONE LEADER AT A TIME.

The savegame is attached. Do these moves to test for yourself.

1: attack the cavalry with your elite. You get Leader 1.
          2: attack Ur with a veteran armor.
          3: attack Ur with a regular armor.
          4: attack Ur with an elite armor. You´ll get a leader if you used the first one up, otherwise not (too bad for you . )
          Attached Files

Comment

'I am almost CERTAIN you can have only one unused leader at a time. I'd strongly recommend using them ASAP, especially if the war isn't over yet. First leader should, I think, ALWAYS be converted into an army. If you're fast, you can do that in one turn, and keep attacking to get another!'

Huh? I've had two active at once, not turned into an army or anything, just sitting in my capital, so there's no "cap" on the number of leaders in your possession.

Comment

Then the chance of getting a second one at the same time is considerably lower. For example: getting leader one 1/16, and getting another while still having the first leader unused 1/32.

Comment

I've been playing as the Germans and Russians and not getting any leaders either. Granted, I've not been overly aggressive, but I've fought a decent number of wars. It also seems the AI doesn't get them or use them either. I've never run across an AI army before.

This might also sound like a stupid question, but can you get a leader fighting barbs? It seems like it wouldn't, but it'd be nice to have confirmation.
                Nice holiday themed smilies, btw
                "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Numbers."
                "Dare to be Stupid is a song, not a Call to Arms."

Comment

You definitely cannot generate leaders from fighting barbarians. It would be too easy!
                  Planet Roanoke -- a Civ4/SMAC Remix

Comment

Originally posted by Slacker
                    I've been playing as the Germans and Russians and not getting any leaders either. Granted, I've not been overly aggressive, but I've fought a decent number of wars. It also seems the AI doesn't get them or use them either. I've never run across an AI army before.

This might also sound like a stupid question, but can you get a leader fighting barbs? It seems like it wouldn't, but it'd be nice to have confirmation.
                    Nice holiday themed smilies, btw
                    I have to side with Pad on this one, you can't get a leader fight barbs.

BTW: I feel you pain for not getting a leader.
                    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Last night I was trying out the Germans (to see how "militaristic" helped in war). Normal Map, Continents, Normal/Normal/4billion, Monarch.

I was peaceful for the ancient and most of the medieval eras, quietly building wonders and improvements and such. Toward the end I had built everything available, so I started cranking out knights. These became Cavalry. I then hit the Japanese.

Things started out beautifully. In my first 3 attacks, I got 3 elites. Next turn, Barbarossa! Now I psyched. So I take Barbarossa and turn him into an army, and build the heroic epic. Since then, I have destroyed the Japanese (with the exception of 1 small offshore island city) and English, fighting all sorts of battles with my elite cavalry. No more leaders. I really, really, really need one for the Forbidden Palace. I am giving strong consideration to attacking the French just to try and get a leader (and their rubber, of course). *Sigh* It's just so hit-or-miss.

-Arrian

p.s. I've gotten as many as 4 leaders in one game before... as the Babylonians, in fact!
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I am playing Chinese (usually French is what I choose) and I'm definitely getting more luck with leaders. I've had 3 so far where previously in many games I've only had 1, total.

I saw an AI army too! They were roaring my war, with I suspect a bunch of samurais in them. I decided my city that's closest to the army isn't good enough to defend against the army, and since I already got the cities I wanted in that war, I just declared peace with the Japanese (they still paid me for it) and let them fight the Persians instead

Comment

Arrian,
                          WLTKD really helps getting those 1-Shield cities' production. Remember, population of 6 required. Post patch, you could get 10 or 20% of your nominal shield output.

Comment

Originally posted by MarshalN
                            I am playing Chinese (usually French is what I choose) and I'm definitely getting more luck with leaders. I've had 3 so far where previously in many games I've only had 1, total.

I saw an AI army too! They were roaring my war, with I suspect a bunch of samurais in them. I decided my city that's closest to the army isn't good enough to defend against the army, and since I already got the cities I wanted in that war, I just declared peace with the Japanese (they still paid me for it) and let them fight the Persians instead
                            yeah, i've seen an AI army once before (although only once) it was the modern era and it had was comprized of three tanks (it was german i think) needless to say i thought peace was my best option when i saw that. but i've never seen one since. I've never seen an indication of AI hurring a wonder though (not that they haven't i just haven't seen a wonder completed in one or two turns indicating that is what had happened.)

Comment

Jaybe,

I know about WLTKD helping with shield loss... but I don't have the patch yet, due to the fact that my modem connection is horrible and keeps freezing while attempting to download. Thus, even with the WLTKD in captured cities, I'm still getting 1 shield. Hopefully, the patch will help with that. However, I have a TON of cities now, so the # of cities corruption is probably a big factor too.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

1) I have seen many AI armies, I was playing a game where there were three AI civs on another continent. I sneaked in a settler/infantry combo and built a city (great technique). I was able to observe the iriquois and germans fight. The Iriquois had an army with inferior units but they managed to force the germans into a peace.

2) if your modem connection is slow and undependable you might want to download a program like Download Accelerator or Flashget, they increase the speed and let you resume downloads if you are cut off.

Comment

Working...
                                X