Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strategy Notes From Vel - The Early Game....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have found that there are many situations where relocating your capital is extremely beneficial. One is when your first city starts out at one end of the continent, or on a peninsula as mentioned above. Once your empire has grown enough that the cities on the side away from your capital are experiencing heavy corruption, build a palace in your most central location.

Another time when relocating your palace is good is when your empire ends up being split over two continents. As you know, on the new continent corruption will be so high that it would take forever to build the Forbidden City - so what I do is build the Forbidden City in a central location on my home continent, and then build a new palace on the new continent - it doesn't take nearly as long as building the Forbidden City. This has the added benefit of having your capital closer to your borders with other civilizations, which makes it more likely you will gain cities from culture.

Comment

• Thanks for your answer VEL!!

Not bad for a first post, isn't it.....

I'm expermening with this strategy but I would like to know if you used it already.

If you used the 'Isolating Capital' strategy tell me how it worked out.

I would like to know if other players have already tested this strategy and what you comments are....

STIEL

Comment

• [QUOTE] Originally posted by Velociryx
        Capitol/Forbidden Palace placement on a standard sized map:

Under the following grid layout, you'll find your empire to be VERY productive!!!

Key:
        F = Forbidden Palace
        P = Palace
        _ = Nothing (space marker)
        0 = City

0____0____0____0____0
        0____0____0____0____0
        0____F____0____P____0
        0____0____0____0____0
        0____0____0____0____0

Note that with that general layout (adjusted for terrain) *everything* winds up being pretty close to your capitol/forbidden palace.

[/ENDQUOTE]

Actually you can out another column of cities between the palace and the FP without getting too much more corruption.
        Persistance knows no defeat!
        (unknown)
        Gott gibt uns die Nüsse, aber er beißt sie uns nicht auf.
        (J. W. von Goethe)

Comment

• Thoughts on war

Thus far, I've done most of my fighting in the late medieval/early industrial time period. Basically, before people come up with Infantry. Infantry can REALLY cramp your style. Cavalry are an awesome unit for quite some time (all the mobile units are good, but it's got 3 moves and solid attack power). Plus, you finally get bombard units with some actual punch (particularly artillery). Once infantry shows up, however, you need a lot of firepower to take cities.

I fight an ancient war in maybe 1/2 of my games... it all depends. The Iroquois are fantastic for early conquest - those Mounted Warriors they borrowed from the Sioux really rock

Modern war can get ugly. In the game I'm presently playing (as the Iroquois) it turns out that I have all the oil. ALL OF IT. Hence, fighting in the modern era is just fine w/me. No one else can have tanks or airplanes (except for my good buddies the Americans, who are paying me just about every cent they can scrape together for some of that black gold). Normally, though, the AI builds bombers (which, until they patch it, you can't stop) and wrecks your infrastructure. You basically need overwhelming force so you can take what you want and then end it.

Basically, ancient war tends to be, overall, the most worthwhile because you will benifit from the gains you make for thousands and thousands of years. The reason my Iroquois have all the oil on the map is that I was a ancient era terror. Of course, if you get bogged down, an early war can also ruin you for thousands and thousands of years. Hence, if I'm playing a civ w/o a good early UU (Babylonians, for example), I'm more likely to lay low for a while.

Medieval war (pre-Cavalry) seems silly to me, unless perhaps you have a medieval UU (Japanese/Chinese) or are militaristic and get leaders out of it.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Morning all…is it just me, or has this week seemed to drag on forever!? (Work-wise, I mean…Civ-wise, I wish I had MORE time! LOL…Einstein was right…it’s all relative, and…all your base are belong to us…no wait! That’s not what he said!….’k…clearly the lack of sleep from Civving is getting the better of me, but I’m not complaining. These old bones and creaky joints are, cos in SMAC-style tradition, I’ve taken to playing all my Civ games in a straight-backed, wooden chair…OUCH! Generally, I’m there, playing solid from 6:30 when I get home, till about 3 in the morning. Yikes! Some would say I need a life, but I’m enjoying experimenting far too much right now!

So…that’s me…Official Civ Slave…

Lohrax, hiyas and thanks for the compliment! Would you believe that when I first found Apolyton ago, I didn’t post for about two months cos I was too shy!? LOL….Anyway, I wanted to say, excellent post re: being a good Despot! Sounds like we have a pretty similar early game style…if I see an opponent I feel I can easily whack without getting too far off of my developmental track….::evil grin:: Such Despotic, wicked fun!

Actually, I don’t know why, but I really like the early game for that reason. The primitive drumbeat music, the strange grunts of the cavemen warriors, the fact that to jumpstart your empire you break the back of mass thousands, sacrificing them to further the glory of your Civ…..I dunno…it just has such a REAL feel to it…you know? Very cool, that!

To Serapis re: the scenario….gotcha…now, go take that girlfriend of yours out to dinner or something!

Other stuff to comment on:
            Hero Epic – Yow! I had my first opportunity to build it and the military academy in my French game….awesome! And, I actually DID get a second leader out of it! Very cool, but I DO have a question for those who have used it more:

When I got my first leader (Napoleon), I made an army and “loaded” troops into it (Modern Armor). After the third troop, that was it. I was unable to load any more, of any type. I thought the limit was like eleven or something?! What gives with three?!

So…I’ve not personally had enough experience with the wonder to write anything about it, but I was jazzed to see it in action, and will be playing more with that!

Terraforming: I generally irrigate two tiles and mine one, assuming there are hills/mountains in the city radius….if it’s ALL flatland, then I’ll mine/irrigate alternating tiles to balance mins with food.

Persians….Seems like they and their immortals pretty much get the nod as the most popular of the ancient civs, and I’d suspect that the French are probably about the most popular modern civ.

Stiel: I didn’t get the opportunity to try your capitol isolation against the Russians in my current game, but I DID use it against the Greeks! All they could build was Hoplites! LOL! It worked splendidly after I bombed their harbor out of existence! GREAT call!

And to Kptb: re: map layout…..absolutely right! But the layout as it stands displays 20 cities…on an average map….that’s a pretty big empire…but yep…easy enough to add at least another row. I’ve discovered that on an average map, 8 tiles out is about as far away as you can stand to get from your capitol, and four is preferred. Haven’t played on large or huge maps yet, but I’m VERY curious to see 16 civs in action together!

My Game Continued:
            Let’s see…when I left off with the telling, it was sometime in the 1700’s, Germany surprised me with a half-baked attack, and it plunged the world into a war which raged until the early 1900’s.

During that war, I found myself squared off with Greece, and began a campaign to wipe them off of their sub-continent.

The war was slow goings, since much of the terrain is unforgiving mountains (pretty historically accurate, I think!), and the tenacious Greeks manned the hills with sturdy defensive units that I had to slog through to even GET to their cities! If I had been the Greeks, it was pretty much how I would have played it, which again, I have to give Soren VERY high marks for the AI work! That rocked, seeing the AI do stuff I would have done myself!

Tanks and Mechanized Infantry vs. Riflemen though, favorable terrain or no…the result was inevitable, and the Greeks found themselves steadily pushed back. My attack consisted of two major battle groups, with one consolidating around Athens and bringing the southern portion of the continent to heel, and a second group starting in New Orleans and working toward Athens (each group started with 8 Tanks and 8 Mechanized Infantry, btw), with 10 Bombers on the sub-continent (two groups of five) flying support missions, and two battleships firing at targets of convenience.

There were some upsets. I captured the town of Argos, staffed it with a Mech. Inf and two wounded tanks only to lose it culturally two turns later. A hard lesson learned, but I think I see three reasons that it fell.

First, the fact that it was in a state of disorder. This seems to have a HUGE bearing on whether the city will switch sides.

Second, it was four tiles from the capitol…obviously a biggie.

Third, I had one less garrisoned troops than the number of resistors. Also bad.

Anyway, after that, I would make sure there was no disorder (even if it meant starvation), properly staffed the captured cities, and kept the bulk of my forces in the field, and it never happened again.

So….while I was slowly grinding Greece to fine powder, the rest of the world was merrily blowing each other apart, lots of material getting smashed, but very few cities changing hands.

When I had the Greeks down to the city of Mycenea, I made peace with them, then got a right of passage agreement with Russia. By this time, I had upgraded all the “old” tanks I had lying about on the mainland to modern armor.

Got the RoP with Russia, positioned my tanks, and took all five of the cities on my target list on the same turn.

Turns out though, that America had a mutual protection pact with them, so I had to fight the Americans too….

Took two of their border outposts on my continent, two other Russian cities near their capitol, contacted Greece and gave them a former Russian town, and then immediately DoW’d them, knocking them off of their starting island, and auto-locating their capitol to their one remaining city.

I made peace with them and the Rus, giving back their two cities near their capitol for the island city of Odessa (Russia’s only non-continental holding). It would later become an airbase for me.

Took Seattle from the Americans and made peace with them, giving it right back, and once more made peace with Greece, creating a wholly new Greek state on the ashes of former Russian territory.

Some comments here: The American bomber squadrons BEELINED to knock out the roads leading to my sources of aluminum and rubber. Again, kudos to Soren. Exactly what I would have done!

They played it smart on the attack too, except for one thing….the Americans prolly sent sixty units (knights and longbow mostly) up against a trio of modern armor units fortified IN a fortress, on a mountain.

I had some dings and dents in my armor, but didn’t lose a single unit and got another leader from all the battling.

The rest of the Americans’ attacks though were very well executed, so perhaps they were just offloading obsolete units in hopes of killing 1-2 of my guys.

My hope was that everybody would leave the new little Greek state alone, but the Rus were FURIOUS with them and almost immediately launched an attack to recapture their lost cities, calling on Germany to help them.

I tried to get a RoP agreement with Greece to post ships off their coast and blockade their tiny kingdom to keep it safe, but they refused me (prolly based on my earlier mistreatment of Russia). So…Russia got three of their cities back, and Germany got two.

Just before the Greeks got taken out, I gave Mycenea back to keep them in the game, but when the German Panzers turned on Egypt….anyway, I was hoping to end the game with all 8 civs still around, but I could not prevent Egypt’s destruction ::sigh::

But, in 1950, I launched the massive space ship toward Alpha Centauri and won the game, having come up from fourth to a solid first place.

And I can’t wait to play again!

Edit: Cross-posted with Arrian, and EXCELLENT synopsis btw! (tho I must say, I dearly LOVE a *really* early rush with the Babylonians!

-=Vel=-
            The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

• message to Soren Johnson (French version of civ3)

Soren
              Sorry for disturbing, but I notice that you read this thread.
              There are MANY mistakes in all French versions of civ2.
              I am willing to help translate or reread the French version of civ3 (not looking for a job, but long time civ addict and lover of the French language).

Vel and others
              Seems to be fun. I join you ASAP when I get a game (even with many mistakes in the French version)
              Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

• Originally posted by Velociryx
                When I got my first leader (Napoleon), I made an army and “loaded” troops into it (Modern Armor). After the third troop, that was it. I was unable to load any more, of any type. I thought the limit was like eleven or something?! What gives with three?!
                Nope it's set at 3 until you build the pentagon (not sure about the trigger for this) which bumps it to 4. You 1 army for every 4 cities if you build the Military Academy, again not sure what the trigger is, I only got my first leader a few days ago and haven't used him for anything yet, exams and work take up too much valuble Civ time

Comment

• Trigger for the Pentagon is having at least 3 armies. It's not that big of a boost... if 3 units can't do it, 4 generally won't do much better. I personally like armies but most other people around here don't seem to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Velociryx

They played it smart on the attack too, except for one thing….the Americans prolly sent sixty units (knights and longbow mostly) up against a trio of modern armor units fortified IN a fortress, on a mountain.

I had some dings and dents in my armor, but didn’t lose a single unit and got another leader from all the battling.

The rest of the Americans’ attacks though were very well executed, so perhaps they were just offloading obsolete units in hopes of killing 1-2 of my guys.
                    I saw the same thing in my game last night. Had a dozen or so units (tanks/mech/artillery) fortified on a mountain. The AI sent tons of cavalry and knights in at first. I found this was just to use up my defensive artillery and soften up some of my units, as they sent their own tanks and mechs in right after. I thought it was well played by the AI since they get at least some final usage from outdated units.

I wonder, if under different circumstances, they would instead load up these same throwaway units in a city under imminent threat of takeover - just to soak up my attack turns and buy a little time?

Enjoying the thread. Thanks to all for relating your experiences.

Comment

• I have some experiences to share in response to some of the
                      comments I've read here. Some background: I've been playing
                      the huge earth map that shipped with the game on Regent with
                      16 civs. I played one with 8 civs, but the rush of dealing
                      with 16 potential opponents - I haven't found anything yet
                      that beats it.

Making War:

I haven't thought of warfare in terms of ancient vs. modern. Mostly
                      I see warfare as an opportunity that may arise. Depending on the
                      flow of the game, who I've talked to, whether contact has been
                      made between the New and Old Worlds, etc, there are usually periods
                      in my games where many of my cities have all of the possible
                      improvements. During those times, I prepare for war by pumping
                      out a nice balance of defensive and offensive/support units.
                      Once I have a surplus of units, I take stock: are there any
                      inviting targets nearby? Are there any luxuries outside my borders
                      that I don't yet have, and that I can reasonably expect to hold
                      once I've taken them? Or wonders? Or chokepoints? Especially
                      chokepoints, since it is so much easier in this game than in
                      SMAC to manipulate the flow of the game by brokering between AI
                      civs.

If there are such valuables to be had, then I try to take a page
                      from the computer AI's book: the sudden, surgical strike. Drago
                      Sinio was exactly right on this point - you almost always, no
                      matter your government, want to avoid a protracted war. Know
                      your objectives, know your capabilities and limitations, and know
                      when you're beaten! Finally, take stock of the enemy and try to
                      get a good idea of what it will take to make him want peace, and
                      factor that into your objectives. Assemble a sufficient (overwhelming, if possible)
                      force just inside your borders nearest to your objective, then
                      strike without warning. Once your objectives have been taken,
                      offer peace, fortify, consolidate, and connect it via road to
                      your empire. You may have to offer gifts in order to secure
                      peace, but hopefully not - you should have hit the AI hard
                      enough that he doesn't want to fight you again.

It is very important to have an exit strategy when you plan a
                      war. If you just attack, take a small chunk of his empire and
                      sit on it, then he will strike back hard and where you least
                      expect it. Trust me, the AI won't waste troops on futile
                      counter-attacks. Once I had Joan on the ropes (4 cities left in
                      the Modern Era) and she was still sending units into my interior through our
                      neighbors to disrupt my infrastructure. If this kind of surgical
                      strike is executed well, it can be over in one turn, which leaves
                      no opportunity for counter-attack.

Any of this can happen in any of the eras, in my experience. It's
                      been very likely to
                      happen in the Ancient era, when expansion is on the brain and
                      one can reasonably expect to be able to take up to 5 cities from
                      an enemy civ. I've also seen this kind of opportunity come up
                      in late Medieval/early Industrial eras. I find that quite a few
                      mid-game conflicts are fought with knights, cavalry, pikemen
                      and musketeers. During the modern age, I am usually kept hopping
                      upgrading my obsolete units, filling out my towns with all of the
                      by now rapidly-appearing city improvements, and cleaning up
                      whatever wonders I can grab.

Automating workers:

Executing the 'improve this city' (Shift-I) command seems to work
                      very well, indeed. They improve the tiles more or less as I would
                      want them to. I only do this once I've discovered railroad, because
                      around that time is when I have enough workers that managing them
                      is a pain, and I don't have to worry so much about optimizing the
                      production of each little city. My core 10 cities are typically
                      productive giants by this time, at any rate.

However, the general automate command (A) seems to give them the
                      following priorities: a) connect us to any resource or luxury
                      within our borders, b) improve any of our cities you can get to,
                      c) railroad every land tile within our borders. The pathfinding
                      and queuing seems somewhat broken with this kind of automation. Then
                      again, I had well over 100 French slave units on the move. I won't
                      be doing that again - the time taken and the inefficiency bogged my
                      game down considerably... but I love those Industrious workers!

Resource denial:

Heh, this was an area the AI excelled at. When the Zulus conned
                      the Persians into attacking me, the first thing Persia did was
                      sever my mesopotamian incense-gathering cities from the rest of
                      my empire, throwing many of my cities into unrest. It works well
                      the other way around, too. If you can deny an enemy essential
                      luxuries, it can be more crippling than denying strategic
                      resources. I was able to precede my aforementioned attack on
                      France by severing her wine and incense supplies - that threw
                      most of her empire into disorder. Joan eventually regained control
                      of her cities, but at what cost? Either she burned quite a bit
                      of cash generating the requisite improvements, or she made some
                      specialists. Either way, her productive capacity was significantly
                      reduced, and she never recovered. While she struggled to contain
                      rebellion, I swept into her heartland and smashed her standing
                      army. Since she was unable to field troops, and since her
                      outlying cities took advantage of the unrest to defect to my
                      side, there was little she could do to prevent France's demotion
                      to the level of a third-rate power. This is the power of Civ3's resource system - it is now
                      possible to attack all of the cities in an entire empire at once in a way that I
                      haven't seen since the days of Civ2 and later-version Civ, where
                      taking an enemy's capital could split his empire.
                      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Comment

• ::nodding:: Cool...I have no idea where I got the number 13 from where armies are concerned...wishful thinking? LOL Well, three it is then! And thanks for the info!

Gat! Howdy, and an *excellent* post! Your insights are especially interesting to me in light of the fact that, while I've been *itching* to play on a huge/16 map, I've not yet done so.

D'oh! And in looking back over the thread, I saw that I missed responding to a comment regarding the SMAX guide!

I figured I'd correct that here and now, with a link to said guide....

Vel's SMAX Guide

-V.
                        The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

• Vel, Gat, everyone - GREAT Stuff!!!

Wow, undoubtedly the best thread for Strategy.

Gat: I was about to suggest the same thing - I find I also have those "downtimes" when there aren't any improvements and it is hightime to just crank out military. For some reason, I have little luck with ancient wars - by the time I actually find iron or horses and get connected to it, it's usually too late to get a real easy kill.

I have two periods that seem to work well for some down and dirty fights - my "late Republic" stage, just after I get nationalism and cavalry but before I switch to democracy, and my "post-Industrial" stage, which really isn't post-Industrial, but just after I get factories and hospitals built and a decent rail network up. Usually around/just after Replacable Parts, so i can upgrade to infantry.

In the "Late Republic" stage, I take advantage of Cavalry, cannon, and Riflemen to colonize and capture key luxury resources. By this point you can really explore the whole map, and easily aid your forces with bombarding Frigates and Cannon. And if you are lucky, you can keep the war going just long enough till the discovery of coal, which allows you to make sure you've got your own supply.

In the "post-Industrial" stage, it's again a great opportunity to ugrade quickly and nab resources. This time you'll be looking for rubber and oil. And also be looking to secure your continent if possible before everyone else starts really using naval and air attacks.

The one problem is the lack of leaders. It would be GREAT to get a leader early on: this way I could build my first army, get a quick win, and get the heroic epic for more leaders to rush those wonders. By the time you get around to Nationalism, many Wonders are already built. But if not, winning some victories and advancing to leader (easiest to do with Cavalry or retreating units because they'll retreat) will jumpstart this process just in time for the Military Academy - again, more armies and this way, you can use your leaders exclusively for rushing wonders.

Maybe it's just because in my games, I've found myself always at a loss for resources. If I prepare myself to fight a war when I get the necessary advance, I figure I will at least be ready and not lose an additional 10-20 turns waiting to assemble a decent attack force. I find myself too weak and focused on development in the ancient game to fight a decent war for resources; I usually trade. Perhaps if I picked someone other than the French, British, or Americans this would work.

By the way, anyone else notice that, just as in real history, the 'classic' civs - Babylon, Persia, Greece, etc - do much better in the earlier years, while the 'moderns' - America, Britain - do better later on? It's certainly trying to skew it this way when you look at when the Unique Units pop up in the time line.

Comment

• Hi, Vel. The 16 civ games are great fun, and being a history buff, I do enjoy the 'real world' maps. But 16 civ games on huge maps take a long time. Based on what I've read of your experiences, I'm interested in playing a regular size random world with 8 civs. Sometimes I don't have an opportunity for early conquest on the huge earth map, depending on where I start. The India start location, for example, is pretty isolated.

I'll be interested to read what you think about the 16 civ huge map experience. I'm certainly eager to try the game at your parameters and compare my experiences to what you've learned.

Comment

• Still got time for a post or two before I gotta head home and clean my apartment! No Civ tonight....errr...at least not till I mop, etc. ::sigh::

Damn...I need a maid and a secretary so I can focus on the REALLLLLY important stuff!

Anyway, I'm glad you are enjoying the thread! We've gotten an *amazing* number of page views on this one, so that tells me that we're doing something right! And we even got a surprise visit by Soren! WhoooHoooo!

I like you're approach, btw....I'll admit that I've never tried large scale warfare in what is your "Late Republic" era....at that point in the game, it just seems like everything is becoming obsolete so fast that I'm usually reluctant to build much in the way of units, preferring to simply wait a bit more for tanks...lol. Lazy, I know....::

In my game starts, I find myself (quite realistically, IMO) with at least a surplus in one or two strategic/luxury items, and this enables me to trade for what I'm missing (one game it was horses and iron! UGH...and another it was oil!)...but...If you have attractive products (my favorite game was when I was able to found a city near FIVE gem deposits! TALK about the AI falling all over themselves to be my friend there!), you can barter for what you need.

The thing I admire MOST about the game is that the use of resources make the KINDS of warfare and diplomatic arrangements we see in this game something that you simply could not have done in the previous. In my mind's eye, it makes it more *real,* you know?

I mean, I'll admit it, I've actually gone to war over coal when nations refused to trade with me! And I'd have to look at the luxury chart re: marketplace happiness effects, but if I needed ONE MORE permanant supply of some luxury item to get another nation-wide happiness boost, I could see myself going to war over that as well! From a purely game mechanics standpoint, it's worth it!

Gat: Best of luck in the Normal/8 game. Having survived sixteen howling banshees, you'll prolly see it as a bit of a step down, but I have to admit that it really was a lot of fun! (and btw, I'm a big fan of history too!)

Okay, since I've been reading a lot of the threads over in the general section, it's got me thinking about something.

In the broadest sense of the word, you can break gamers down into two camps. You've got your scientific gamers and your romantic gamers.

Scientific gamers are all about the numbers. They want to know what the specific attack and defense numbers are and WHY. They want to change them if they don't suit (see the NUMEROUS threads in the general section re: combat). These guys are all about realism. Unfortunately, they'll probably find Civ3 not much to their liking. The reason for that is that Civ is not a wargame in the classic sense (certainly not in the sense of Panzer Blitz or Wester Theater). The kinds of detail in combat they're looking for are staples of the wargame genre, but have NEVER been implemented with great success in 4x games.

Why?

Mostly, because 4x games MUST, by their definition abstract combat in order to devote time to what the game is really about....that is, growing an empire!

Romantic gamers exist at the other end of the spectrum....they're the ones who see past the abstracted combat at what's going on behind the scenes. They're the ones who recognize that it's not "really" a spearman that just beat that tank, but an "ill-equipped partisan rebel" who somehow....somehow carried the day.

History is full of wildly romantic tales like that, and they tend to be our favorite stories.

From Thermopalye to the Russian withdrawl of Afghanistan, it sticks in our minds BIG TIME when the underdog pulls one out on the big dog.

And, IMO, since the game we're now playing represents the whole sweep of history, it's important that the combat system leave room for events like this.

Frustrating as it is when it happens to me, that's what history is all about....

-=Vel=-

Comment

• We seem to see eye-to-eye on most things, hoyatables.

Yes, cavalry are excellent units. Knights and cav are the tanks of their time. Good offense, decent defense, excellent mobility, withdrawal, and the zone of control (for cavalry) make them very powerful all-around units. Really, the cavalry aren't obsolete until you get modern armor. I find the 2-movement of tanks to be very slow, and I usually hang on to whatever elite cavalry I have until I get the Abrams units. The 3 move points make cavalry an excellent fast reaction team. Furthermore, riflemen make an excellent complement to cavalry.

I haven't yet had any strategic resource shortage issues. The huge map of earth seems to dole them out pretty liberally.

I also regret the lack of leaders in the early game, which is another reason I want to try to play on a 'regular' size map. Early contact allows early warfare, and the real trick seems to be getting the first leader. My first always forms an army so that I can crank out the epic and the academy. Subsequent leaders always wind up rushing wonders or SS improvements.

I haven't played any modern civs yet. I have mostly been focusing on the Babylonians because I enjoy cultural warfare.

I just started a huge map 16-civ game as the Zulus. I started in India, hoping for early warfare, but I had to go all the way to North Africa to find the Americans.

I posted about one of my Babylonian games on the stories forum, then started reading some of the other stories. Whoops, I saw some polished stuff, made me feel silly for posting my ramblings without working it over once or twice. But I also discovered the concept of a succession game (in Gaius Marius' excellent thread there). I'd be very interested in playing one of those at some point, even if only because it would provide some great insight into different playstyles. I need to wait until work eases up on my schedule some in a couple of weeks, but it sounds like a pretty fun concept.

Vel, interesting analysis of gamers. I came up with a similar justification when I lost a tank to a pikeman. I figure that, no matter how much farther advanced a civilization is, nor how despotic, technology can't be kept within borders forever. Eventually the obsolete stuff will start to leak out. How hard would it be for a gun-runner to get WWII weaponry today? Not hard. And for a full-fledged nation? Probably even easier. So those spearmen have probably been handed a limited amount of satchel charges or grenades or whatever, given some supplementary training, and told something similar to what the Red Army was told during WWII: "Each soldier must kill ten enemy soldiers, or one enemy tank." It's neither impossible nor unthinkable, and I think expecting that a spearman unit would only use spears when better weaponry is available on the black (or grey) market is possibly less realistic than guys with spears taking out a tank.

Comment

Working...
                                X