Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gee... so far I've been the warmongering tie-breaker
    A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Due to Master Zen's vote, it looks like we're going with Total War. You asked for it guys!

I've asked alexman to set up the map for us. If all goes well the game should be ready just after the weekend.

Dominae

P.S: You asked for it.
      And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

I think Total War was a wise choice, we had already done a limited-city game (AU302) so this one should have been something different, hopefully however a future AU will do a 5CC and that Blind Research one which I liked...

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

You asked for it!

I recommend Sirp's excellent writeup of a total war game.

Always War is a fun, thrilling, and fascinating civilization variant. For those unfamiliar with it, it is a variant invented by Arathorn, with the following rules: - Whenever a new civilization is met, war must be declared on them by the end of the turn. - Peace may never be made, ever...

Comment

Sirp's version, where he would restart unless he was on an island alone, is essentially equivalent to "No Trading', if you think about it. Since the AI will never really threaten the nicely productive home island, the only things you lose by always being at war are: 1) the chance to switch to Republic, and 2) the chance to trade with the AIs.

I think we're going to do something rather different here...Crazy? You asked for it.

Edit: Hm, looks like Sirp was defeated by an invastion after all. I'm not quite sure why he avoided blocking off his beaches with units, though. Maybe we'll just avoid Deity for this one.

Dominae
            And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Total War, I'm psyched.

I'll actually be caught up by the end of today... I'm finishing off 207 with a, errr, bang. ROTFLMAO
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae

Edit: Hm, looks like Sirp was defeated by an invastion after all. I'm not quite sure why he avoided blocking off his beaches with units, though. Maybe we'll just avoid Deity for this one.

Dominae
                Total war and deity sounds like a recipe for suicide if you ask me...

Comment

I've also read Sirp's total war adventures and I believe it will be a tough experience.

I usually play emperor and will do the same in upcoming Total War AU, but I think that also might prove very, very difficult.

I've already started wondering about which civ to select.

Main difficulty I foresee in a TW scenario is the science progress: not being able to trade for science or not getting it by peace treaties goes directly opposite my playing style.
                  Therefore you'll have to research everything yourself.
                  A scientific civ then comes in useful considering cheaper libs and univs and four free techs.

Some other elements to consider civ choice: as you'll be waging war from the beginning of the game militaristic seems quite useful, especially for the Great Leaders. Hopefully you'll have some very early on to build a wonder, because undoubtly you'll be so far behind in techs that you mustn't even dream about building/rushing wonders yourself.

Another aspect is the UU: you'll need one from the beginning on to profit as most as possible from them.
                  I love the Chinese Riders, but they'll be worth rather nothing later on: when you get the required tech, AI civs will by then probably already have cavalry in their hands.

So I understand Sirp's choice for the Greeks: Hoplite has a long time of usefulness, scientific brings in extra techs and faster research and commercial allows you to have a larger/wealthier empire, which is quite useful considering the fact that you'll have to aim for a conquest victory in a TW scenario.

Your thoughts on civ choice for TW?

AJ
                  " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
                  - emperor level all time
                  - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae

P.S: You asked for it.
                    Sure.... next time I'll vote twice.

Fine, I'll give it a try. I was getting bored of winning thru domination anyway...
                    The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

What about traits? (I hope map is standard/large, continents)

Expansionist is definitely good: you'll get free techs and map knowledge early on, giving you a better chance to keep up in science at least in ancient era.

Industrious: always very useful

Commercial: IMO there are better traits to pick for this scenario, but ... commercial civs have alphabet from the beginning on, allowing you to get maybe the most important Great Wonder for this game, The Great Library! So paradoxally commercial is also a top trait for this scenario.

Scientific: faster libs/univs so faster research and (hopefully if you survive till last
                      ) four free techs. Important trait.

Militaristic: one could consider this a top trait for a TW scenario, but ... the problem is that the GL's you'll generate won't have the same impact as in normal game settings considering the fact you'll probably be so far behind in techs that the Wonder Race is almost exclusively reserved for the AI civs.

Religious: always ok are faster temples and cathedrals, but the flexibility of switching governments doesn't apply for this scenario, as you'll probably be stuck for monarchy (perhaps later on communism) almost whole game.

So what's the best trait combination in your opinion?

(I'll be thinking about it first before answering already )

AJ
                      " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
                      - emperor level all time
                      - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

Hi all...

Total war huh??? I don't even have a clue as to how to aproach this one. Is there any threads anyone can recommend so I can study a little before it begins??? Thanks

BigD
                        Holy Cow!!! BigDork's Back!

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?

Comment

I agree with AJ in that Commerical is a vital trait just to get the GL, I am tempted to play with France as it can get its GA at a very usefull time too.

Other than that I am inclined to play Persia off the top, or China. An Archer Rush and an Immortal sweep should be good enough to wipe out my immediate neighbors in the Ancient age and let the Knights and Cavs take care of the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Zen
                            I agree with AJ in that Commerical is a vital trait just to get the GL, I am tempted to play with France as it can get its GA at a very usefull time too.
                            Or maybe Greece? They're both commercial. But the Hoplite will trigger an early GA...
                            The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

The down side to Expansionist is that the earlier you meet other civs, the earlier you have to declare war on them. When you have to declare war on anyone you meet, there are definite advantages to keeping the number of civs you meet early in the game small.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Sage

Or maybe Greece? They're both commercial. But the Hoplite will trigger an early GA...
                                That's the same reason I prefer France to Carthage in this type of game being that they are both ind/com

Comment

Working...
                                X