The next AU course (after AU401)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Sage
    I will post there some other screenshots about another game (Egypt, standard map). I wiped out the Mongols, Chinese and Spanish from my continent by AD300.
    So you should have no problem with a warmonger-ish AU game.

Having stated the above, just explain please how you hope to win on a huge map, archipelago, 24 civs without some lebensraum, i.e. without going to war?
    You did so just fine in the Huge map AU (apart from taking out the Babs, if I recall). My point is not that you're afraid to go to war, it's that for some reason you're against warmonger themes. My guess is that you always want to have time to build up to your satisfaction before going for the kill. Just a guess. If such games are more fun for you, so be it. But the point of AU is to learn by exploring the different facets of Civ3.

Then of course, I could ask you 'will you not get tired of your civ-slaughter games?'
    Probably, if all my games were like that, but they're not. Like I said, AU tries to be as diverse as possible (which is why I like it and have not gotten bored with it yet).

Dominae
    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

5-city challege...

Why 5? Why not 6 or 7? Is there any history behind that?

My second question can be a spoiler to the 5CC AU: What city placement are you going to use? I would say minimum is the optimal c.p. The strategy for the city placement would be totally different from the "standard" game. I mean you are not trying to make 1st, 2nd, 3rd ring of cities around the capital.... Are you goint to make a "continous empire" or are you going to place 4 cities on strategic places (the 5th one maybe on second island)?

Could be an interresting game...

cumi

P.S.:...hm almost 2 questions...

Comment

Dominae,

OK, point given and taken.
        Let's see what the next AU will bring...
        The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

I've voted Total War. If understood correctly we'll be supposed to wage war all time, to never settle for peace, not requiring techs by victories? Especially this last one razes problems.

Sounds fun and ... difficult. So far my latest strategy is requiring techs by waging wars, settling peace, waging war with other civ, peace, waging war with first civ and so on, till I've conquered all required techs to start researching myself.
          Also wonder if republic/democracy would be possible due to war weariness, I doubt it.

As I've only limited game time, I also like my games to be ... spicy.

AJ
          " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
          - emperor level all time
          - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

It's a close race between Total War and 5CC (both warmongering scenarios...interesting). Vote now if you have not done so already and have a preference!

Dominae

Comment

Re: 5-city challege...

Originally posted by cumi
              Because a hand has five fingers (usually)...

My second question can be a spoiler to the 5CC AU: What city placement are you going to use?
              Good question. Let's wait until we play the scenario to answer it (read: I'm not sure).

Dominae

Comment

Re: 5-city challege...

Originally posted by cumi
                In addition to matching the fingers on most people's hands, five cities allow you to build the Wall Street, Battlefield Medicine, and Strategic Missile Defense. They also allow you to build an Army (four cities do that, actually).

Comment

The weekend is almost here (and I'm at home with a fever anyway). Where is the game?
                  So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                  Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

I'll vote 5CC. The last time I played in an Apolyton event was back in early 2000. Please LMK what patches are best for the Civ3 base and the PTW expansion. Thanks!

Edit:
                    Forgot to ask a couple things. We can select any civ, yes? Also, what map size? Is Emperor the standard difficulty level for these most of the time? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by inca911
                      Forgot to ask a couple things. We can select any civ, yes? Also, what map size? Is Emperor the standard difficulty level for these most of the time? Thanks!
                      Tune in to the scenario thread when it gets set up for all the specifics.

You can play on any level of difficulty you like. No one minds. Most players are Monarch and Emperor (with some Regent that should really move up!).

Dominae

Comment

I'm all into this strategy forum, now. Looking forward to the 5CC. I can see that the 5CC may be harder than OCC. For OCC your goals are very limited; therefore your strategy is more straight forward. With 5CC, there are more options and you are more of a threat to the AI.

I have a general question. As far as city count, do you count at the end of the turn? For example with 5CC, is the rule, "A turn cannot end with more than 5 cities."

The question involves the strategy of capturing a city and then selling or gifting to an AI civ. Your city count goes up to 6, but it drops to the required 5 by the end of the turn.

Comment

Currently we've got 7 for Total War and 7 for 5CC. Uh-oh.

lmtoops, I'm not sure what the exact rules are for 5CC (and if there are any). Just like we did in OCC, I would suggest that you can never ever at any time have over 5 cities. This does away with loads of problems that I just know will crop up.

Dominae

Comment

When it comes to 5CC, Charis has written the book.
                            Take a look at his guide in the strategy articles over at CFC.

Comment

Ah, thanks for the link alexman. Maybe 5CC will pull ahead now (although I secretly want Total War to win).

Dominae

Comment

TOTAL WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I also like the Blind Research one. Interesting not to choose your tech path. I hope we do this in a future AU game.

EDIT: still I think it's going to be a while until I get to play, RL has really gotten in my way, and I'm already hard pressed to play the 10+ PBEMs i'm in as well as the succession games/ demo games, etc etc... I haven't even started AU401
                                A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Working...
                                X