No announcement yet.

The next AU course (after AU401)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, the purpose of the University is to try out different playing styles that we are not familiar with, so as to improve our game.

It also involves comparing moves, rationale behind each move and decision. This is made easier because everybody plays the same map, under the same rules (eg OCC), and possibly same civilisations.

I voted for TOTAL WAR earlier.
    But I forgot to mention - please include a nonPTW version please.
    C3C ISDG Final Round : Actively Lurking

Comment

I vote for 5-city. OCC was for me also a challenge. The question is: on how big map you want to play the 5-city game? If you play it on huge map, it's like an OCC on standard.

I am currently playing -just for fun- on huge map, warlord -as I said, just for fun-. Some of the AIs has almost only 5 cities . I am trying to use, what I learnd in my lates OCC (AUxxx) game. Am not attacking anyone, but the funniest thing is, that the AI does it so, too. Unfurtunatly I don't have a screenshoot of the game, but is really funny. I started the game with the number of civs possible for huge maps (16 I think) and now everybody has its small empire and living in peace with each other . Only I have a bit more cities than other, I did better early REX-ing .

Can't wait for the next AU game,

cheers

cumi

Comment

Another thought:
        A very devious game would be huge map, archipelago max. water, 16 civs.
        Not many would 'really' like it, but the diplomacy skills and the logistics are a real challenge (+ a bonus for a domination victory?).
        The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

Why not 24 civs? That way you are forced to kill some just to stay sane.
          Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
            Why not 24 civs? That way you are forced to kill some just to stay sane.
            Fine for me...

Comment

5CC is just as tough as OCC, because in 5CC you must win by Conquest.

Keep the votes comin'!

Mountain Sage: I understand that you're not a fan of warmongering. But I do believe that you could benefit from diversifying your playstyle somewhat. As is, you probably play the "same" game out every time you play (French, Huge map, peace and diplomacy, etc.). Will you not get tired of that pretty soon?

Dominae
              And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

While I'm not MS, I suspect the reason I would rather play a non-warmongering game now is the same: We've just played AU401.

Comment

Well, the two choices with the highest number of votes are both warmongering themes (5CC and Total War). I suspect few people played AU401, and want to kick some butt after the OCC AU.

Dominae
                  And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Is 5CC a warmongering theme?
                    I thought it would be a peacenicking scenario (I haven't played any CC though).
                    "Cogito Ergo Sum" - Rene Descartes, French Mathematician

Comment

I'd go for AU-Reloaded, especially the island hopping theme I missed at the beginning of AU. I rarely play archipelago maps and it would be great to plan and execute frequent overseas invasions...

--Kon--
                      Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

Might be a daft or unpopular idea but seeing as I am wearing my best asbestos suit....

I recently tried a game in which I had a little island which was exatcly one city radius with 4 extra land squares, one extra square at each corner. The idea was to fully develope 5 cities with the productive capacity of the land squares of one city. It was an exercise in shifting labour between squares from which I learnt quite a bit about; managing tightly spaced cities, managing labour, getting full use out of the available squares (many of which were coastal squares), trading with AI which was vital for such a little empire to keep up on tech and for security from being gang-banged.

It was a rich island BTW.

Comment

The courses so far, involve playing from the start, ie Ancient Age.

Can I request for new AUs with starting position in Industrial Age and in Modern Age ? That would definitely help to improve specific skills to get through these ages.

But there is a problem i think. The version (PTW/1.29) and the difficuilty level is fixed and cannot be changed.
                          C3C ISDG Final Round : Actively Lurking

Comment

I voted other.

How about this?

Human starts isolated on a distant continent (one size 1 city, a worker, maybe a scout, no army) about half way through the ancient age, and tries to take from 2 other AIs a number of "flagged" cities by 2050 AD. The AIs have the number and territory to their advantage, while the human only has a slight tech advantage and/or some money. Think of it as some sort of crusade.
                            The monkeys are listening.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae

Mountain Sage: I understand that you're not a fan of warmongering. But I do believe that you could benefit from diversifying your playstyle somewhat. As is, you probably play the "same" game out every time you play (French, Huge map, peace and diplomacy, etc.). Will you not get tired of that pretty soon?

Dominae
                              No offence taken, but I won AU401 by DOMINATION and look at my thread 'Pragmatic Ultimate Power' for another game won by DOMINATION (Carthage, standard map).
                              I will post there some other screenshots about another game (Egypt, standard map). I wiped out the Mongols, Chinese and Spanish from my continent by AD300.

Are those PP games? I wonder...

Having stated the above, just explain please how you hope to win on a huge map, archipelago, 24 civs without some lebensraum, i.e. without going to war?

Then of course, I could ask you 'will you not get tired of your civ-slaughter games?'

PS: Arrian, don't reply, I believe I already know your answer

Comment

Originally posted by Konquest02
                                I'd go for AU-Reloaded, especially the island hopping theme I missed at the beginning of AU. I rarely play archipelago maps and it would be great to plan and execute frequent overseas invasions...
                                I like this one, too. I don't like the "Total War" thing. Maybe I am too builder and too peacful...

Comment

Working...
                                X