Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by alexman
    Some suggestions for you:

1) Give tanks the "wheeled" flag. This way they can't enter mountains and jungles without roads.

Reasoning: Makes paratroopers and marines more useful. Also enhances realism.
    There is a bug here. If you put three Tanks into an Army the Army can cross mountains that the Tanks can't. If you put the "wheeled" flag on the Army an Army with three Swordsmen can't cross jungles.

Pick your take I guess.

Mike G

Comment

• Good point!

Of course the same is true in the unmodded game with chariots. So I would keep Armies as they are now - unwheeled. Makes them more powerful. A good thing IMHO.

Comment

• Just for the sake of an arguement, I think Armies should have the "Wheeled" unit flag set because armies could often be blocked from terrain that a smaller unit could still pass through.

Having made that point, Sun Tzu points out that one should always use local guides to traverse unfamiliar terrain. And considering where armies have been in the past (Alexander the Great springs to mind: give me a goat trail and I'll out-flank anyone)

This may be something that we need Soren to address in case this becomes an issue. He would need to make the Army transparent so whatever units were in the army, it would inherit their flags as well.

In the meantime, if you can get a GL then make an army of chariots (I have no idea why you would want one) and give'm hell.

D.
        "Not the cry, but the flight of the wild duck,
        leads the flock to fly and follow"

- Chinese Proverb

Comment

• Originally posted by Gen.Dragolen
          This may be something that we need Soren to address in case this becomes an issue. He would need to make the Army transparent so whatever units were in the army, it would inherit their flags as well.
          IMO this needs to be solved 'case-by-case'. I like the fact that an army of, say, 3 cavalry units has the blitz ability (multiple attacks per turn), even if the single cavalry unit doesn't have it. OTOH, an army of marines that can't do amphibious attacks (as was reported today) ... this sucks.
          "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

• Originally posted by lockstep

IMO this needs to be solved 'case-by-case'. I like the fact that an army of, say, 3 cavalry units has the blitz ability (multiple attacks per turn), even if the single cavalry unit doesn't have it. OTOH, an army of marines that can't do amphibious attacks (as was reported today) ... this sucks.
            As has been shown previously, not only do Army's of Marines not do amphibious attacks, Army's of Paratroopers cannot do Airdrops.

Speaking of new Improvements, I'd like to see one and its related tech requirement: Advanced Mining (tech) and Ore Processing center (City improvement). The later would be like Gen. D's "Manufacturig Plant" (ie not the Modern era one, but an improvement to Factory available much sooner then the modern era MP). Boost shield outout of course, like the MP/Factory, cost say 260. Insert the Advanced Mining Tech in the Tech tree in between Replaceable Parts and Mass Production. Maybe cause 1 Pollution rather then two?? Alternatly, call it Machine Tools Technology for the tech and Industrial Center for the improvement ... again the idea is an intermediate between Factory and Manufacturing Plant, about the time of Replaceable Parts and Mass Production.

Now if I can just figure out how to DO this! I've had no luck changing the tech tree around in any way. Crash city! Anyone who knows how, I cheerfully allow you to steal my ideas ...

Civ on.
            If you can't be kind to everyone, at least be kind to animals. They are innocent.

Comment

• Originally posted by royfur

. . .Now if I can just figure out how to DO this! I've had no luck changing the tech tree around in any way. Crash city! Anyone who knows how, I cheerfully allow you to steal my ideas ...

Civ on.
              A forumer named Plutarck some months ago did all that in his LWC mod - real changes in the tech tree. Do a Search for him and "tutorial", as he actually posted how to do it.

Comment

• This thread might usefully incorporate alexman's thread on AI build orders.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

• I was just about to post that same exact thing jshelr!
                  If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

• Chiming in-

I've come to the same conclusion that mil units must cost a population point. But just the ' man ' units. Up to ' Infantry ' Ships, tanks, cannon should no cost population. That's the advantage of them, but the cost a lot of production/gold and require resources.

There are ways to work all these problems out without changing the whole structure of the game.

Comment

• Holy thread-surrection!!
                      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

• Making modern naval units more accurate makes the game more interesting - my destroyers are +2 movement faster than battleships, +1 movement on cruisers. I also use -2 attack and defense on destroyers and cruisers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Modding for -1 pop on military units has been difficult. This is similar to adding 20 sheilds to the cost. I only use -1 pop on land units (that have a nonzero attack value). Granaries cost 90 shields and 2 gpt, barracks cost 60. These costs are fair, and they

The other exception is warriors and JW cost 0 pop & 20 shields and cannot be upgraded. Since archers cost 1 pop & 20 shields this is a fair price. Archers, longbowmen etc. also have bombardment abilties. Archers, longbowmen, Swordsmen, Midevil Infantry can join cities. MI cannot be upgraded.

Cavalry and more advanced units cost 10-40 more because the -1 pop rule makes the early units more expensive.

Towns only go to size 5, Cities to size 10 in my mod.

Adding this mod is not as good as I would have hoped, because all one does is give more food to a city in micromanaging it, but it does make the game slightly more interesting.

Comment

Working...
                        X