What do you do that is bad strategy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do that is bad strategy?

What do you do even though it is something you really should not do? And why?

The bad things I do are:

1. build as many wonders and culture improvements as possible restricted to 5 core cities regardless of whether they are really needed or not and regardless of whether I should have them doing something else. This is so that the 5 greatest cities in the world are all my own (and not captured) cities.

2. REX far too slowly. I just tend to forget about settlers and start building some improvement and later think "umh should have built a settler instead, build one now or change that production".

3. Don't build enough units. Too busy building improvements, never mind that I happen to be in the middle of a war and don't have enough to attack only enough for defence.

4. Optimal city placement so eventually all cities will work 20-21 tiles each so I can have great big cities. This is disregarding the fact that I have to wait ages before sewers are available and disregarding the efficiency of denser early spacing.

5. Don't use bombard units much. I rarely even think of building any bombards. Just ram enough knights into a city and it will fall (I know this is shockingly bad) and anyway I am seldom properly prepared for war. I just make sure I am very well defended but there are rarely any units left over for invasions.

Go extreme builder - I usually have little or no army until Modern Ages, after I've researched everything and can build up the perfect army to my heart's content.

Comment

-don't check the AIs enough (every turn) for good deals.
      -don't build enough workers
      Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
      King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
      ---------
      May God Bless.

Comment

- don't use the luxury slider : i know it's useful, but for a mysterious i always forget it

Optimal city placement so eventually all cities will work 20-21 tiles each so I can have great big cities. This is disregarding the fact that I have to wait ages before sewers are available and disregarding the efficiency of denser early spacing.
        I do that, too. That's why i usually have 5 cities where i could have 8 built.
        "An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind" - Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Panzer32
          -don't check the AIs enough (every turn) for good deals.
          -don't build enough workers
          Umh, sometimes I completely forget about checking the AI.

Sometimes I build too many workers.

Oh, and I must build the Hanging Gardens (umh, because I liked the picture of it in the city display screen way back from Civ1 and therefore wanted it in my capital, old habits die hard even though it is now Civ3 and there are more useful wonders to have). Umh, in my current game I am building a large fleet and army for the sole purpose of finding the, as yet undiscovered, evil civ that beat me to it. Umh, probably the worst strategy imaginable, given I am in the middle of another war, but what the heck, I must raze that offending city.

Comment

I think you'll find moving to higher and higher difficulty levels drums some of these habit out of you.

I never used Catapults, for example, now I'm high on them. More recently in an Archipelago game I had to space closely. My most recent learning experience was where I needed almost all my cities building units just to keep the Zulus at bay!

But I still don't check the AI for deals all the time.
            Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Optimal city placement and not enough workers (and general worker mismanagement) are/were my two main problems. Demogames have cleaned up my worker strategy, and ralphing/suburbing/(whatever you want to call building expendable cities between 20 tile ones) is able to compromise with my city perfectionism.

I also used to build too many improvements and too little military, but that, too, has been helped by Demogames. Generally I find I just need to make sure to sit back, look at the map, and realize what my actual goals for the next turns are instead of looking at each city individually on a turn-by-turn basis.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                I think you'll find moving to higher and higher difficulty levels drums some of these habit out of you.
                True, when I try a higher difficulty level I find that I really must give up these bad habits.

OTH I seldom try a higher difficulty level because I don't want to give up these habits. I don't wanna REX like hell, I wanna build early wonders etc etc So at Regent I shall remain.

Comment

Absolutely agreed. But bad habit's hard to break. And I still have not won a game at Emperor level because :

1. I give up too easily, esp when I am 7-8 Techs behind
                  2. I rush through the early games moves
                  3. I do not change the labor placement in the City Screen on every turn, sometimes lazy sometimes forgot
                  4. My kid will come to the PC, play with the keyboard and my moves got all messed up
                  5. I don't play every day, sometimes only during the weekends. So I tend to forget my last moves & what I am planning to do.
                  C3C ISDG Final Round : Actively Lurking

Comment

Originally posted by rush

Absolutely agreed. But bad habit's hard to break. And I still have not won a game at Emperor level because :

1. I give up too easily, esp when I am 7-8 Techs behind
                    Once you have played through this problem and have trained yourself to recognize that you have them where you want them, you will be winning regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by rush

4. My kid will come to the PC, play with the keyboard and my moves got all messed up
                      5. I don't play every day, sometimes only during the weekends. So I tend to forget my last moves & what I am planning to do.

My wife is forcing me once a month to unistall the game.

Comment

...but seriusly

My mostly recognizable mistakes were:

1. Optimal city placement, showing how to build x number of cities on a given territory, when you can build 2x.

2. Not selling my luxuries. I've learned in AU302 how to do it better now.

3. Not buying luxuries, showing (and wondering) how to have cities with max size of 5-6, when all the AIs have 12.

4. Beeing too much builder, showing how to be suprised from a sudden attack of 5 horsmen...

I've didn't saw this point here yet, but I think this is very important:

5. Not building pre-builds! You need a long time for building a wonder from a scratch!

cumi

Comment

My bad habits

1) Keeping cities too small early in the game - building Settlers and keeping them size 1-3.

2) Not building early wonders. Too much emphasis on REX.

3) Rushing turns - should check diplomacy every turn (oh, for a faster system).

4) Not building enough defensive units to hold down captured cities. I always end up with too much cav/armour and not enough infantry.

I could go on and on but am trying smaller maps to cut out these habits.
                          Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                          "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy
                            My bad habits

1) Keeping cities too small early in the game - building Settlers and keeping them size 1-3.

2) Not building early wonders. Too much emphasis on REX.
                            I'm not sure 1) is a bad habit. I do the same. A settler done when the city hits size 3 instead of letting it grow to size 6 means at the very least that your Settler was build 12 turns earlier. Discount 6 turn to position it and build a new city and you still have gained 6 turns, meaning your city could be size 2 already. Do this 10-15 times and you out-rex the AI even on Emperor. Then, you can leave 2 cities to grow and use them for Palace/Wonder building. Point 2) resolved.
                            The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

More recently in an Archipelago game I had to space closely. My most recent learning experience was where I needed almost all my cities building units just to keep the Zulus at bay!
                              Spacing cities close on Archipelagos is the way to go. I usually do the C-T-T-C and pack almost twice the number of cities of other civs on the same surface. This gives you more gold, units etc.

Try to keep this bad habit, and even improve it.
                              The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

Working...
                              X