Salonika

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salonika

Got PTW a week ago, and i just started playing my first game.

To my delight i started on the same isolated continent as the Ottomans.

Needless to say, the outcome was full scale genocidal war. All was good untill my crusade reached a Muslim city named Salonika.

WHAT THE HELL!!
    Thesalonica is my home city!!.
    I'd better die, than see it in the hands of the Turks.

The point is that Civ3 has many "dual" cities. The Greeks have Thessalonica in their city list as well. The cities should be owned by the civs who found them(and dwelled in them), not by those that they TEMPORARILY conquered them. With this in mind the Greek civ should, according to fireaxis logic, have as cities Samarkand and Persepolis.

ABOUT THE PATCH: I downloaded the american patch from civ3.com and the Euro patch from a german site. I installed the American one and the game did not recognize the CD.
    I then uninstall the American and install the German. An error message occured every time i started the game. I then unistall the German patch and start the game. The game begins and it indicates that i have version 1.14f

How can that be? Fireaxis, infogrames or whoever have totaly fuc*ed it up.
    "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
    Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

You are pathetic.

Comment

Why did you install both patches? It seems more like you have "fuc*ed up"...

I guess you also see that if several civs have the same city(that is, with the exactly same name), that would make the game messy.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

wow, this could be the first on-topic greek-turk debate!

it is kinda weird how they have the same city for 2 civs, but eh, just edit the city list, or remove the ottomans
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
          Why did you install both patches? It seems more like you have "fuc*ed up"...

I guess you also see that if several civs have the same city(that is, with the exactly same name), that would make the game messy.

I did not install both patches at the same time. I did not know what version i had(American or European), so i DOWNLOADED both patches. I uninstalled the American patch before i installed the european.

Furthermore i own a PC since 1996(not counting the Spectrum 48K i had). I think such silly mistakes are long gone for me.
          "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Nevertheless, I think you should have re-installed the game after installing the first and presumably wrong patch. I guess it messed up your files.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

The Roman city list includes Lugdunum (also on the Celtic city list-- the third city on their list, actually), Lutetia (better known as Paris), Byzantium (better known as Istanbul), Londinium (I shouldn't have to tell you what this is in modern times), and Eburacum (on the Celtic city list, and also the English city list, as York). Actually, a lot of the Roman cities are also on the Celtic list (mainly those in Gaul).

The Russians and Aztecs also both have Tula on their lists, though they're definitely NOT the same city.
              oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov
                The Roman city list includes Lugdunum (also on the Celtic city list-- the third city on their list, actually),
                And Lugdunum is the latin for Lyon, also in the French list...
                "Great artists have no country."
                -Alfred de Musset

Comment

Absolutely correct.

Do you people agree with it?

Shouldn't cities exist only in the civilizations that owned them historicaly? I mean, Alexandria although founded by Greeks should be owned by the Egyptians(as it is), while Salonika should not be owned by the Turks, although they controlled it for more than 450 years.

According to fireaxis logic Antioch should be on the Turkish list because since its capture by the Ottomans in the 11th century has been a part of their Empire. Historicaly it should belong to a Syrian civ or at worse to the Greek civ(it was founded by Antiochus the Great).

Comment

Pal: give it up - most ppl couldn't care less if certain cities appear (with slightly different spelling) in various civs lists. Firaxis's criteria seems to be if a civilization HELD a particular territory for a long-ish time. Greece was a power in the ancient period. The Ottomans were a power in the late medieval period onwards to the 1700s. Whatever...
                    Go into emptiness, strikes voids, bypass what he defends, hit him where he does not expect you. Ts'ao Ts'ao (fr Sun Tzu's Art of War)

Comment

I know that most people do not care, but shouldn't we strive to improve certain faults in the game?

Yes the "dual city thing" is the least of civ3 problems, but a problem nevertheless.

Comment

That's just it - it is NOT a problem - unless apparently you're of Greek origin and offended at the reminder of the Turkish conquest of your country. Since most ppl using apolyton aren't either Greek or Turkish, one would suppose that it wouldn't be a major emotionnal issue for them. Even as far as cosmetics go it's not an issue.

If it really bothers you that much you could just remove 'Salonika` from the Ottomans city list. I'm sure *someone* (not me) here on apolyton knows how to modify the city lists...
                        Go into emptiness, strikes voids, bypass what he defends, hit him where he does not expect you. Ts'ao Ts'ao (fr Sun Tzu's Art of War)

Comment

I know i is not a MAJOR issue, but i think it would be better if dual cities did not exist.

I am not saying anybody will stop playing the game because of it, but doesn't it look idiotic to have a Thessalonica city and a few "Km" away a Salonika?

And as far as the emotional thing goes, believe me it is not an issue. In Greece the time is 03.30 after midnight, and i stayed up playing the game i mentioned above. The Turks were obliterated and their only remaining city, Instabul, was renamed Constantinople and the Forbidden palace was built there. It is a game!

Comment

Speaking of which, does anone know what happens when you reach "New York" in the English list but New York is already built by the Americans (of course, owned by the Russians)?
                            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Tassadar5000
                              Speaking of which, does anone know what happens when you reach "New York" in the English list but New York is already built by the Americans (of course, owned by the Russians)?
                              Of course.
                              RIAA sucks
                              The Optimistas
                              I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Working...
                              X