Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firaxis, please give me back high scores (HoF)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion

How about this for a possible solution....

In the editor, give the player the ability to enter a name for the mod (10-20 characters), and then put that name on the HOF as well.

That way, Firaxis can keep its little "these aren't true games" thinking and we that actually like the HOF but not the standard rules (or simply city names) can see our games show up on it.

Comment

I was about to post a question just like this because I had the same problem a few days ago. I hope Firaxis does something about it. They should of known, especially with PTW that most people are probably going to play edited games.

Comment

yea firaxis has effectively made me stop playing the game until a patch to show all high scores.

Comment

Originally posted by Minmaster
          taking away HoF for people who use the editor/mods was quite possibly one of the major bonehead moves by firaxis, imo (right up there with shipping PtW w/ shoddy multiplayer).
          Originally posted by Minmaster
          firaxis has effectively made me stop playing the game until a patch to show all high scores.
          I can sympathize with your frustration at not having modded games show up in the HoF, and I too can't understand why excluding them from the HoF makes any real sense (let alone is important enough to justify changing previous code) . . . . but don't you think you're taking this a bit far? The change to HoF is as big a problem as the (unpatched) challenges with MP? And the change has somehow "effectively made [you] stop playing the game" (emphasis added).

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face - it seems a shame that you would let the minor annoyance of having to manually keep track of your personal bests keeps you from playing a game that (I assume) you otherwise enjoy.

Catt

Comment

Hmmm, well personally i think this stinks. I play my game privately in the comfort of my own home and used to love watching my various attempts at beating the AI getting racked up in the HoF.

Now, for MP, i can understand the reasoning behind not saving the scores in the HoF for posting on websites, etc. But rather than simply removing the scoring for modded games there have been many better suggestions here in this thread than the one Firaxis ended up using. Instead, now each and every game i play is simply forgotten and i cannot attempt to better my previous attempts. Pants.

Firaxis have removed that personal privilege from me....and why?....simply to prevent people claiming they can beat Deity easily!? I'm sorry, that's just not a good enough reason!!

Comment

i HOPE this will be addressed in the next patch. has anyone asked any of the firaxis guys about this issue?

Comment

I can't believe they did this intentionally! They provide an easy-to-use editor, which disables the hall of fame? That's crap! I modded my game to add fascism, add city names, lower the obscene costs of some units and buildings, and edit some units like the chariot and archer to make them useful. Why should they care, even if we are cheating horribly, if we get high scores with modded files? What's the point of having an editor anyway?

STUPID FIRAXIS! STUPID!

BTW where is this halloffame file located? And has anyone tried flipping it with the old hall of fame? (Would probably crash with PTW civs, but might work with other civs).
                World War 2 Worldwide
                Muddy Flood Plains
                World Map

Comment

I'm going to chime in here too as a long time single player who has created his own custom civ for years with Civ II, Civ II Gold, Test Of Time, Civ III, and now PTW. No matter how enjoyable a game is, recording scores is a fundamental factor in motivating players coming back for more to try to best their previous games and try out new strategies. In my book, the HOF glitch is bigger than any MP bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Yurt
                    BTW where is this halloffame file located? And has anyone tried flipping it with the old hall of fame? (Would probably crash with PTW civs, but might work with other civs).
                    Two versions of HighScores.cv3 exist: in the Civilization III folder (for Civ 3) and in the CIV3PTW folder (for PTW).

This thread (first page) gives information for modifying these files manually. And yes, you can copy the old HoF to the new location without consequence.

Comment

Are you sure there's one in the PTW folder? I ran a search on my C drive for Highscores.cv3 and only the original came up. I can't find it by browsing either (obviously...). Maybe it hasn't been created yet because I haven't registered a high score (I modded the game before playing it).

But thanks for the help anyway, I will move my old high scores file into the new location.
                      World War 2 Worldwide
                      Muddy Flood Plains
                      World Map

Comment

Originally posted by Yurt
                        Are you sure there's one in the PTW folder? I ran a search on my C drive for Highscores.cv3 and only the original came up. I can't find it by browsing either (obviously...). Maybe it hasn't been created yet because I haven't registered a high score (I modded the game before playing it).

But thanks for the help anyway, I will move my old high scores file into the new location.
                        You are correct. The file doesn't exist until the first unmodded game concludes (or until you create or copy one).

Comment

It's a good thing that it's so easy to edit high scores. I got everything working, which amazingly wasted very little of my time (compared to re-modding my game every time there's a patch!) but it's still ridiculous that they include an editor and then punish you for using it.
                          World War 2 Worldwide
                          Muddy Flood Plains
                          World Map

Comment

Yes, this is a pretty big f-up on their part. Not only did they skimp on the add-on by not at the very least giving us a movie for each victory type (the pop-up hasn't gotten any more thrilling ), they take away the *one* bit of icing that was there for finishing games.

The vanilla rules suck and they really should know it by now, but since they seem to have no interest in fixing themselves, the least they could do is not penalise people's fun by saying "HA! That wasn't a real Civ game."

Comment

again, guys this supposedly was put in intentionally, not a glitch, bug, or f-up. actually, if it was a glitch, bug, or f-up, i would have been more understanding, but the fact that firaxis actually took time to implement this crap pisses me off...

Comment

Working...
                              X