Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YASP - Yet Another Sabrewolf Pbem

the game is full, no further players can join here

3 out of 4 players in the tournament group C have turned out to be reliable and efficient, so has chrisiusmaximus. so here's my 3rd try to get a nice fast game going.

players are, in no particular order:
    (when speaking of GMT, i mean UK-time... just imagine GMT _with_ daylight saving... that's UK time )

playertimezoneemailother
    sabrewolfGMT +1sabrewolf AT blackhole.ch? civ
    moonbarsGMTJames AT McQuiggan.demon.co.uk? civ
    andydogGMTandy AT laptopz.fsnet.co.uk? civ
    ChrisiusMaximusGMTChrisBennett8 AT aol DOT com? civ

about the game, we all seem to like the idea of small, 60% world with everyone starting with 3 settlers.

moonbars doesn't fancy AI civs as they're manipulatable, even on higher levels.
    i wouldn't mind having some as they can rebalance techs. it's easier to catch up if you're behind, which can be quite disapointing if you're in the role of the guy behind

andydog proposed someone setting up the game, but we'd need a volunteer. i've posted a new thread ( http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=114188 ) which hopefully may even get topped one day (keep posting for that to happen ).

as to define how exactly the settings are going to be, i propose we
    1) first discuss if with or without AI
    2) depending on that, the landmass (small without AI, standard with AI, maybe even large as we're all fast players?)
    3) game details, like how many settlers? SGLs? etc.

so what are your opinions?
    please post
    - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
    - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Thanks for the invite sabrewolf!

I'm more inclined to having no AI's. The problem I have with them is that they are fodder to the human player, and can often be located such that 1 or 2 players can wipe them out early on, take their techs, and become so far ahead of the other players that the game becomes pointless for them.

If we do decide to include them, I'd rather have 1 AI per human player, rather than just a few.

Settlers - I'm keen for 3 or even 4. Should make the game interesting much quicker!

I'm also keen to enable SGLs. I think they bring a bit of balance to the builder player.

I don't know anyone who could set a map up for us unfortunately.. I suggested to sabrewolf that it could be set up so we each had 1 continent of roughly the same landmass, topography, resources, etc. Contact with each other couldn't be established until mapmaking. Just a thought.

Lets get it on!

Comment

No AI's is good 3 or 4 settlers is great
      A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

so no AI --> small map?

as for custom maps, i posted and asked people about them, but it doesn't look like we can hope for anything in that direction, except if you know some good soul who'd volunteer for that...

then, we could start on a known map (eg. everyone tries some random maps and we generate it with the world seed number)?

anyway, i'm still waiting for moonbars' comments... havn't seen him a lot recently, neither in the threads nor in the messenger... seems like a busy week so far

Comment

sabrewolf I just had a look at the Custom PBEM Maps thread that you started, and Conqueror mentioned he'd be happy to set up a map...

Comment

thanks for the hint! i missed that post. probably i discarded the notification-email because it came just after my post.

great, then let's let him do it i've already posted a message in the other thread to let him know about this one.

btw, i've spoken with moonbars and he's not sure anymore if he can play another PBEM besides the ironciver tournament game. i still hope he's going to join us, but if not, we should think about who could be a reliable 4th player who can play our times. i don't feel like another game that will take 2 years to complete
            and we do need a fourth because otherwise is easy to lose out tech-wise (2 trade with eachother and the 3rd won't ever catch up).

think about it, but let's still hope for moonbars

Comment

If you need another player to replace moonbars I'll join you. I'm GMT as well, so multiturn sessions are no problem.
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Moonbars, join us! I'm in about 6 PBEM's at the moment and I've found that when you're in with the same people the turns usually arrive at the same time. It's pretty simple to load each one and save, one after the other, and then exit out and email them all off - and it doesn't take much longer than if you just got 1 save.

Comment

as long as we have no AIs, count me in. i'll have beaten you all in Iron civ before the turns get much longer anyway :-P
                  The Best Multiplayer Game Ever

Comment

wonderful!

now i wonder if we should play with 5 players!

are there any days per week which could fit all for more intense sessions? (well, in fact it's a turn per 30mins... you can watch a DVD inbetween )

for me it's usually monday through wednesday evening and weekends during the daytime (not too early as sometimes i exadurate partying )

regular turns can be done more or less any time within 3 hours

Comment

Yes let Krill in too, five better than four and hes GMT
                      A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

If you want me to join, then I'm happy. And I can play any night of the week, and weekends I should be around for the whole day, so no problem there.
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I'll do what i promised, so i'll set up a map for you.

PM me the preferred map details (size etc) players and civs.

If you want, i can skip the 1st turn for everyone and set up passwords too, but its up to you and requires everyone to PM me his password.

Comment

Unless ofcourse you have 5 players, in which case there seems to be a map already made by BigFurryMonster.

Comment

Conqueror, I'm already in that game, so it we better not play that map.

Comment

Working...
                              X