Clash of the Continents - set up thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aqualung71
    • Unlimited intra-team discussion and information exchange on all issues, at all times. This is a team game with only one objective for all team members, and IMHO at no stage should we be playing as individuals
    • I'm fine with this, or with the idea of no discussion until contact.

• I'm even in favour of all starting locations being made public on turn 1. That allows for some pretty interesting strategy discussions off the bat! (of course, I expect some opposition to this one )
    Yeah... am not so keen on that one.

• I think it would be more fun if all 4 members of each team are not all located adjacent to each other. This raises interesting war tactics like cutting off an opponent from his allies, etc.
I agree, but again, I'm fine if all members of a team were located in a block as well.

• No-mans-land resources sounds like fun. Definitely Pangea.
  • Good! Glad to see my idea has caught on.

• Maximum of 2 settlers each.
  • No-attack rule for the first 20 turns
  • Limit on Ag civs is no big deal, but I'm happy to agree
  • OK, but not sure if the attack rule is a good thing. I just don;t think it will make too much of a difference.

• Map size - I still think Small would be fun, but certainly no bigger than Standard. You don't need dozens of cities.
  • Again, I'm easy - just not huge, like many games Paddy is involved in setting up!

• Terrain - I love lots of mountains! Not so keen on Jungle. Let's have that mountainous barrier, or mabye evern 3!

• No way! Give me jungles if you must, but no huge mountain ranges, thanks! Jungles you can develop. Mountains are just to get in the way. Ug

And snoop - your logic is strange. You will be thrashed at an equal footing with us, so you want to disadvantage yourselves from the start? Of course, if you really feel like you need an excuse ready for when we're whooping that Nth American ass, that's fine. We'll just sit back and enjoy the even easier game.
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

But mountains are great for shield production! Besides, Jungles are more worker-intensive to improve than mountains
      So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
      Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

I agree with MWIA. A city next in a mountain/hill range is limited in its size due to food availability and therfore can't even utilise all the mountian tiles and therfore its shields. Jungle can be cleared.
        What about getting the game going? We've all had a chance to say something. It's up to the game initiator to decide upon the final settings.
        don't worry about things you have no influence on...

Comment

Jungle vs Mountains - I prefer mountains. Jungles CAN be cleared, but it takes forEVER, and you can pretty much ruin a player's start by starting him in jungle. Mountains are never (rarely anyways) SO massive that you can't start successfully because of them. And, mountains give you more shields; as long as you have both plains and mountains, just irrigate the plains and you have more shields than you ever could with just plains.

Start - I prefer EITHER starting together, or to be allowed to discuss our starting locations. If we can't discuss starting locations pre-contact, I have a VERY strong preference to start all together. Team games don't work without contact.

Unlimited discussion - Sounds good to me, that's how I envision a team game working.

No-Attack rule - Um, not really so much ... not that it matters really very much, but everyone remembers a certain player's encounter with the Arnelosizer in Europe in Flames in about turn 15 ... I think if you take the risk of leaving your capital open, you take that risk and so be it.

Map size - Standard, or the next bigger size. A team game is going to develop interesting battles and whatnot only if you have room to make more than 3 or 4 cities.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
            Jungle vs Mountains - I prefer mountains. Jungles CAN be cleared, but it takes forEVER, and you can pretty much ruin a player's start by starting him in jungle. Mountains are never (rarely anyways) SO massive that you can't start successfully because of them.
            Ah yes, but I was talking about comparing a large area of Mtns with a large are of jungle. Mountain ranges that aren't more than a tile or two wide are fine. Just don't give me the Tibetan Plateau.

And jungles are winnable! Look at the first Civ3 DG!

/me should have all the experience needed to win a jungle map
            Consul.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
              Jungle vs Mountains - I prefer mountains. Jungles CAN be cleared, but it takes forEVER, and you can pretty much ruin a player's start by starting him in jungle. Mountains are never (rarely anyways) SO massive that you can't start successfully because of them.
              Ah yes, but I was talking about comparing a large area of Mtns with a large are of jungle. Mountain ranges that aren't more than a tile or two wide are fine. Just don't give me the Tibetan Plateau.

And jungles are winnable! Look at the first Civ3 DG!

/me should have all the experience needed to win a jungle map

And I agree - we've done our talking, and I think it would be best if it was up to the game organiser to determine based on what has gone on here what the settings should all be. A consensus would take forEVER to arrange, and I'd certainly agree to allowing the organiser to set things up, now that I have said my piece.
              Consul.

Comment

Ok then, enough's enough. Who's the organiser? Oh, it's Paddy......hey, give them all the Militaristic/Seafaring civs and we'll take the Ag/Ind civs.

Or if you want to give them a small fighting chance, reverse it

Comment

Actually it's Beta. And we have to wait until Con gets back, or at least that was what we had decided ...

Comment

Ah snoop, afraid to make a decision without big brother around are we?

Comment

Nop, that would be Beta who's waiting for his big brother. Or evil twin ... that issue is still out.

Comment

Well either way, your "team" is already showing clear signs of disunity, disorganisation, vagueness and procrastination. Hey, you should all join the Australian Labor Party!!!

Comment

hahaha indeed they should - or as big Kim would say

"we stand by our AmeriKain friends"
                          Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                          I am of the Horde.

Comment

Labour? Labour? Bah ... I'd never join a party that sounded like more work. Paddy my friend, i'd think YOU'D understand at least ... Parties are supposed to be FUN, not LABOUR...

Comment

Ok - Paddy and I will get on-line and hammer out the final details given the above discussion. One way or the other - we will need to fire this off to a map-maker - if nothing else to preclude the likely island start for one of us.
                              Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

How is this going? Do we have a map maker yet? If not, perhaps Godking would be willing to make one for us. The one he made for the Dual Dynasty PBEM is interesting.

Comment

• Working...
                                  X