Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civ3: "Civer Edition"--How much would YOU pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ3: "Civer Edition"--How much would YOU pay?

When Ultima9 came out, I jumped at the chance to buy the Dragon Edition. It included a cool (old-school) cloth map, game music on a separate audio CD, "simulated leather" spellbook and manual, 8 tarrot cards, an ankh, Ultimas 1-8 on a separate disk, a letter of thanks from RG, and a HUGE box! I gladly paid $70+ for it.

[Note: The game itself was buggy, the box so damn big that stuff rolled around inside and got messy and bent, the ankh was REALLY cheap, the tarrot cards cartoony, the best of previous Ultimas unplayable under Windows, and they released an "enhanced making of U9 cd" a few weeks later instead of in the box--which pretty much ruined the experience.]

BUT...

I think a "Civer Edition" Civ3 would simply be awesome.

How much would I pay?: approximately $70-80

What would I want to see inside it?:
    • A game CD with a cool map of the world on it.
    • Civ1 and 2 on a special "Civ Collector's" CD, with the original manuals in .pdf format (only if some deal could be struck with Microprose, of course).
    • A cloth map of the world (or a great fold-out with cool historical facts and a timeline on the back).
    • A "Making of Civ3" CD which includes the music tracks and sound effects.
    • A paperback History of the World by some well-known historian.
    • I wonder how much it would cost to put in a Britannica "History of the World" or "History of War" CD in the box?
    • A pewter figurine (each box is different!). You would get one of the follwing: A globe; a phalanx; a bomber; a nuclear missile; or a settler. 1000 lucky fans would get ALL of them! Of course, each one would have "CivIII" stamped on it somewhere.
    • A letter from Sid, Jeff and Firaxis. You know, one of those simulated signature ones telling us how cool it's been working on the game and how great the Civ fans are. =)

How about you? What would you pay? What would you want in that box?
    [This message has been edited by yin26 (edited March 10, 2000).]
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

They should include a plastic unit! And yes I think $50 is enough!

Ata

Comment

I would definitely pay $50-70 for a CD including the music (how about one with all of the Civilization music from 2 and 3?), and some nifty extra maps and literature. A random pewter figurine based on classic units would be pretty cool, too. I would want the stuff to look like they put some effort into it, though, unlike Yin26's description of parts of the Ultima special edition.

Comment

Yes, I forgot that U9 also included the previous Ultimas 1-8! (But in true form, the best of them wouldn't work under Windows and they made no effort to convert them!) But Civ1 and Civ2 on the disk would be a MUST! =)
        [This message has been edited by yin26 (edited March 09, 2000).]
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

I wouldn't hold your breath there - remember that Microprose owns Civilization and Civilization II. There's probably not much chance they'd allow Firaxis to distribute those two games along with Civilization III.
          -------------
          Gordon S. McLeod
          October's Fools
          http://octobersfools.keenspace.com

Comment

Good point. No big deal, actually.

Comment

i'll pay $35, and get the game cd, manual, and tech tree poster, inside a normal sized box.

however, a good figurine might get me to pay $50. i think i would prefer a settler or engineer... although an old school civ1 militia type would be fun .
              it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Gord McLeod on 03-09-2000 09:05 PM
                I wouldn't hold your breath there - remember that Microprose owns Civilization and Civilization II. There's probably not much chance they'd allow Firaxis to distribute those two games along with Civilization III.
                actually... Microrprose is owned by Hasbro. Hasbro will publish civ3. see where I'm going??
                [This message has been edited by MarkG (edited March 10, 2000).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 03-10-2000 11:58 AM
                  actually... Microrprose is owned by Hasbro. Hasbro will publish civ3. see where I'm going??

It's not always that simple... but it does raise the possibility. It could happen, though I personally won't be holding my breath...
                  -------------
                  Gordon S. McLeod
                  October's Fools
                  http://octobersfools.keenspace.com

Comment

Markos,

I think it's entirely possible to work something out. I know Sid's history with Microprose has a few rough spots in it, but still...

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by pauli on 03-10-2000 12:36 PM
                      ...which versions?...do you think they would sell the civ1 spaceship as one model, or a ton of separate pieces?

The latest version running under Windows sounds good. As for the spaceship: LOL!

Comment

as a special edition, i can see them releasing all the games together... the question is, which versions? dos civ, win civ, civnet... civ2, civ2 gold, civ2:tot... see the problem? if they reduced all the music to mp3, then all of those might fit on one extra cd, but otherwise, it would result in a set of four.

either way, i think they should stick civ1 on the civ3 cd, just as a nice gift. duke3d shipped with the full versions of duke 1 and 2.

you know, if they were to actually go to the trouble of making good figurines, they should sell them individually too. do you think they would sell the civ1 spaceship as one model, or a ton of separate pieces?
                        it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

Another thread that became a poll...

POLL CLOSED, RESULTS BELOW

[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited June 27, 2000).]

Comment

i voted without looking at the thread ( :0 ) to see if the actual game is good, and i stick with it... if the game sucks, then why should i pay an extra $20-30 bucks for it (what i would be willing to pay if it were good)
                            btw, the civ1 idea is good - i think the majority of civ3 buyers probably have some version of civ2, but not necessarily civ1 (at least i do )

ps. i know i'm foolish, but what does btw actually stand for? i've seen it used a lot, so i know how to use it, but i don't know what it really means...

------------------
                            WWAAZZAAAAAAAAAAPP!!!!
                            sam87@quincymail.com

I think sammyboy has the worst signiature
                            -the 1212 problem

(PUMPS HANDS IN AIR "RAISE THE ROOF")

DUKE RULES!!!!!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by sammyboy7 on 04-21-2000 07:48 PM
                              ps. i know i'm foolish, but what does btw actually stand for? i've seen it used a lot, so i know how to use it, but i don't know what it really means...

btw= By the way
                              "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                              "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                              Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Working...
                              X