Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civ3: "Civer Edition"--How much would YOU pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since a new game here is usually about $50, at most I'd pay up to $70. Even then I'll be more likely to just buy the "standard" one with no extra stuff. (Game, (paper) poster, manual, registration card )
    Minister of UFQPOT
    Division of the (un)glorious PROT!
    CEO of the SSPC

Comment

I would love to buy what you described in the heading...(preferably on a dvd)

Ï would be willing to give what it cost, but a roof betweem 100$ and 150$

veni, vidi, vici
      icq #51862133
      pint@c2i.net
      http://gameleague.apolyton.net

Comment

I really like Yin26 idea. C&C Tib. Sun made a figure for the game, and it was quite nice.
        The deluxes and a standard verison would be the way to go, then both sides would be happy. I would buy the deluxe game.

------------------

Comment

Oh, wouldn't it be lovely? Civilization all over again, under Windows this time...

Most important though is that Civ3 is a knocker!

Maybe a figurine from each game?

------------------
          Greetings,
          Earthling7
          To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

RESULTS!!
            Interested in a "Civer's Edition" with lots of goodies?
            Yes! No matter the price! 292 / 22%
            I would go up to $60-70 180 / 13%
            Around $50 is the reasonable price 260 / 20%
            I can barely afford the price for a normal edition 120 / 9%
            Nah, it wont be worth the extra money 74 / 5%
            Let's see first if the actual game is good... 320 / 24%
            Don't care 40 / 3%

1286 total votes

[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited June 27, 2000).]

Comment

I don't remember which one I voted for

------------------
              gamma_par4@hotmail.com
              There is no spoon
              -The Matrix
              Let's kick it up a notch!!
              -Emeril Lagasse
              Fresh Soy makes Tofu so silky
              -Ming Tsai

Comment

Wow. 35% of those who voted are willing to pay at least $60-70 for a Civer Edition! I just wonder if that's enough for Firaxis to consider the idea? Anybody from Firaxis dare to cause all kinds of mayhem and post an answer? (Anyway, it's a cool idea that, done well, could make you guys some extra bank and make some fans very happy along the way).

BTW, Markos, nice work on the voting...
                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Yin,

You are looking at hardcore civers here. It is not a reliable sample
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Of course, my assumption is that only a hardcore civer would buy the Civer Edition in the first place (or even be on this site to vote). But if you can show that at least a certain number of them would pay extra (and how many units would you need to sell anyway to cover the extra cost?), then the opportunity to make more money and to leave a hopefully good impression on people is there. Of course, there is no magic measuring stick for this, and it's always a risk to put something MORE expensive on the market (particularly when, as with U9, the game itself was horrendously flawed), but I think Civ3 could support it, don't you?

Now if you told me that such a project would distract the team from core issues like gameplay and killing bugs, then I'd rather not have it. But something about a Civer Edition just makes me feel all warm and happy, ya know?
                    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

I will pay 100 trillion dollars

------------------
                      gamma_par4@hotmail.com
                      There is no spoon
                      -The Matrix
                      Let's kick it up a notch!!
                      -Emeril Lagasse
                      Fresh Soy makes Tofu so silky
                      -Ming Tsai

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by yin26 on 03-09-2000 03:29 AM
                        • A game CD with a cool map of the world on it.

Eh, maybe on the same disk as Civ3

quote:

• Civ1 and 2 on a special "Civ Collector's" CD, with the original manuals in .pdf format (only if some deal could be struck with Microprose, of course).

• Yeah! I've never played Civ1 and would jump at the chance to play it! That's what they did with Oregon Trail 3 and that sold great!

quote:

• A cloth map of the world (or a great fold-out with cool historical facts and a timeline on the back).

• The cloth map of the world would hang on my wall in my room. As someone suggested, a cloth units/terrain/tech would be even more useful for the game at hand.

quote:

• A "Making of Civ3" CD which includes the music tracks and sound effects.

• I'd love the to make a parody of "Behind The Music"!!! Behind The Game? Hmmmm... I'd like a seperate CD with music from all 3 games.

quote:

• A paperback History of the World by some well-known historian.

• Nice add-on, but not that great. I don't want this Civer Edition weighing 20lbs now.

quote:

• I wonder how much it would cost to put in a Britannica "History of the World" or "History of War" CD in the box?

• Like I've said, nice add-on, but it may weigh the box (and price) down.

quote:

• A pewter figurine (each box is different!). You would get one of the follwing: A globe; a phalanx; a bomber; a nuclear missile; or a settler. 1000 lucky fans would get ALL of them! Of course, each one would have "CivIII" stamped on it somewhere.

• I like the idea of a globe, maybe with "Civilization" on the side of the earth. Gee, Civ across the world.
                        Maybe the size of a baseball, nice size. And in color.

quote:

• A letter from Sid, Jeff and Firaxis. You know, one of those simulated signature ones telling us how cool it's been working on the game and how great the Civ fans are. =)

• I'd like more of a certifacate of authenticity with the letter on it with those mass produced signatures on them and what number you got.

Good ideas, but I don't want to pay $200 for a 50pound box now.

------------------
                        The Brain: Weirdo who takes modern culture and stabs it in the eye
                        -Founder of DoH!
                        -Please pull up to the second window
                        -I see dead people...give me my medication!
                        -What's your favorite scary mov--Please deposit 25 cents for the next 5 minutes.
                        -Visit DoH, or else!
                        -How much longer is my sig gonna get?
                        -This much.
                        [This message has been edited by The Brain (edited July 04, 2000).]
                        The Brain: Weirdo who takes modern culture and stabs it in the eye
                        I am the Tofu, you are the Anti-Christ. Goob goob kajoob.

Comment

What about... a coupon for an autographed polarid photo of the player and Sid?
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I just don't understand why anyone would want to buck the trend of lower software prices, by agreeing - UP FRONT! - to pay $60-70 for a game. Most new release in the NYC area have been priced anywhere from $35-50. Please, at least PRETEND(!) to be a discriminating consumer-at least for the sake of the rest of us.

Comment

Good games are so precious that I think poeple are actually serious when they say they'll pay US$70 for a special version. I, for one, am.

------------------
                              No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
                              No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

I understand the concern about paying too much for mediocre games, which explains why I have a wait and see attitude for most products. I normally wait until the first patch is out and thereby enjoy a cheaper and most stable gaming experience.

However, both Civ1 and Civ2 more than delivered. If you were to divide the cost of those games (full retail) by the number of hours spent playing them, you'd be looking at pennies to the hour.

So, in the case of Civ3, I have every reason to believe the same will hold true. Now on top of that if they can provide a "Civer Edition," I'd be more than willing to pay my $70. Keep in mind, as I said, I'm quite cautious about these things normally.

Comment

Working...
                                X