Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove on 02-24-2001 10:54 PM

How about documenting the history of civilization with a sort of Hieroglyphics? For each new advance you'd have the picture of Anubis presenting the thing to the ruler (you). For each conquest you'd have a picture of the conquered bearing gifts or the ruler kicking them into a submissive posture (which the Pharohs seemed to like). Wonders would be depicted as presented by the ruler to the worshipful people. There is a lot that could be done with the idea. You could have different styles of picto-grams, an African style, a Mayan style, a Bayeux tapestry style, a Greek style, an Indian style, and so on and so on. You could even have the style of the pictograms modernize over time, culminating in "Movietones" shorts in the twentietn century, eventually leading into a webpage style towards the end.

Great idea!

Comment

"Icing" is not necessary.I would gladly sacrifice these "features" for better play.
      The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

It's not like taking away from such "icing" will somehow automatically make the game worse. Firaxis should make the best game it can, and a big part of that game should be the atmosphere that made Civ1 & Civ2 so good. Better gameplay is certainly great, but it won't detract from the game to put in some extra features for all those world-leader ego freaks.

------------------
        Any shred of compassion left in me was snuffed out forever when they cast me into the flames...
        Lime roots and treachery!
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Smash on 03-27-2001 02:29 AM
          "Icing" is not necessary.I would gladly sacrifice these "features" for better play.

Respectfully, I completely disagree. How many people on this board started playing Civ-type games with the old ascii graphics "empire" (i think it was originally a unix game that got ported to ms-dos)? Well, you could probably take the eventual Civ-III, strip out all the modern graphics and do the whole thing in ascii. Same modern AI, same suped-up combat, same plethora of units, same hyper-complicated diplomacy, just all rendered using ascii.

Who would buy it? Maybe a few hardcores, but not most of us. Icing matters. And since a large chunk of people on this board love Civ because of the "recreating history" feeling it has, this particular icing is something that could elevate the game to a new level of greatness. Whether they provide us with the Bayeux tapestry (awesome idea, by the way Dr. Strangelove) or a cgi movie, they've got a chance to really make something cool here. They should take it.

- Echinda

P.S. I still have empire on a disk and this message inspired me to go dig it out. Much to my dismay the disk is a 5.25" and I haven't owned a 5.25" drive since '94. Now I feel old.
          What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

Dammit. The pol wouldn't let me in.

Anyway my pesky voice must be heard I tried to vote for something new and here is my unfounbded comment:

And if they can't come up with something nice then it's palace not that dreadful throne room

Comment

Dammit. The pol wouldn't let me in.

Anyway my pesky voice must be heard I tried to vote for something new and here is my unfounbded comment:

And if they can't come up with something nice then it's palace not that dreadful throne room

Comment

To each his own I spose.

I know many players,myself included, turned all that stuff off in their first 1 or 2 games of civ.And off they have remained for years

And no,taking things out won't make it better but it may keep me from having to buy a new system to run Civ3.
                [This message has been edited by Smash (edited April 03, 2001).]
                The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Really? I still play Civ2 with the throne room on, as a goal...

I usually turn off the advisors, but if they had more relevant thigs to say I would keep them! I think Firaxis should focus on making a good game, sure... then give it the great atmosphere that makes these games unique, among other things.

------------------
                  - Cyclotron7, "that supplementary resource fanatic"
                  Lime roots and treachery!
                  "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

I was not allowed to vote?!
                    SO this is a test to see if I am still allowed to write.

Eye candy, gamewise is fun. Not necessary replay value looked for.

Comment

As a follow up to my last post, I should admit that I am probably an outlier on the "how important is eye/ear candy" distribution curve. I still watch the CivII opening graphics just so I can hear that cool fade out of the music at the end (it sounds kind of like a xylophone made out of big chunks of bamboo).
                      [This message has been edited by Echinda (edited April 05, 2001).]
                      What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

Instead of wasting my time expressing my argument for/against on what is in my opinion, a menial topic on insignificant eye-candy, I will just get to the point:

NO throne room, NO palace, NO city monuments, NOTHING
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Hey MrFun stop being NoFun.

It's meaningless, its fluff, but the palace/throne room/end game map/wonder movies don't add anything to the actual gameplay. What they do is help create the actual world. It's the world that has players like me coming back game after game. I bought Civ 2 within a month of its release and I finished my most recent game only 2 weeks ago. How many games can you say that about? True most of why I come back is the gameplay, but I don't know if I would have gotten involved as much from the start if pieces or fluff didn't make those first couple of game experiences more rewarding

Oh yeah, and I want a palace. One with tons of options for customiztion. Besides I'd love to mix and match the various styles into one ugly-a$$ palace for absolutely no reason.

[This message has been edited by SerapisIV (edited April 08, 2001).]

Comment

Civ 1 generated a text file and a map at the end of every game, giving a turn by turn history with how big your civ was, any new techs discovered, who you were at war with and cities captured etc. i would like to that return as it was fun to look back at the end of each game and see how your civ developed

Comment

That would be easy enough to make, a generic text file log of basic demographics, not fully detailed. I forgot about that in Civ1. Maybe the inclusion of the other major Civs stats for comparison would be nice too, just a basic spreadsheet. It might make the save games larger as the game gets longer though, so much info to remember.

Comment

Civ3: Throne Room or Palace?
                                OptionVotes / Percentage
                                Palace(Civ1) 120 / 38%
                                Throne Room(Civ2) 27 / 8%
                                Fordbiden City(CTP1) 5 / 1%
                                Something new 102 / 33%
                                Nothing 27 / 8%
                                Dont care 27 / 8%
                                Total Votes: 308
                                View Comments

Comment