No announcement yet.

POLL 16: "Throne Room or Palace?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about having a choice during the game (1 game could be throne room, the next could be palace, etc.)

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Jer8m8 on 02-21-2001 11:02 AM
      What about having a choice during the game (1 game could be throne room, the next could be palace, etc.)

Exactly. There was nothing wrong with the throne room of Civ2, except that it only ended up one way. The value of the palace in Civ was the variety of styles that could be chosen. That's what's needed.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Chaos Warrior on 02-15-2001 10:21 AM
        What do they have in CTP2 instead?

CW, they have nothing.

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
        --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Theben on 02-18-2001 05:14 PM
          You mind describing that in more detail? I tried to do that but it didn't work.

I've seen it as well-you need to be in cheat mode for it to work, at least with my version.

Marc (not that I ever cheat, of course :-) )

Comment

I want a documentary that every once in a while gets updated!

At the end of SMAC they show an incredibly low res map that plays out the spread of your empires colour over the world (I don't remember if Civ II does the same thing and my father in law has my disk so I can't load it up to find out). Well, I just love that feature (as crappily done as it is).

What I would like to see is some sort of documentary that plays out the history of your civilization. They could have various short mpegs for each epoch and a voice-over generator to provide the narrative. Something like:

"Your empire was spawned in a peaceful world [clip of peaceful explorers/farmers] ... a beautiful garden was built in your capital [hanging garden wonder] ... but war soon came to your land [battle scene appropriate for epoch of your first big fight] ... unable to make peace with your enemy, your artisans threw up massive fortifications on the frontier [great wall wonder] ...
            etc. etc."

The narrative would be decided by what happened in your empire and once in a while when enough new scenes were added you would see another clip.

Much better than the weirdness of a throne room when you're playing a twentieth century democracy.
            What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

I'd love to see the "history of your civilization" idea if it could be done well, it sounds really neat, but also hard to program in. If they did that and put the throne room over in your diplomacy screen I would be MORE then thrilled. It would be awesome.

Comment

Ahhh, you stole my idea before I had a chance to have it! How about documenting the history of civilization with a sort of Hieroglyphics? For each new advance you'd have the picture of Anubis presenting the thing to the ruler (you). For each conquest you'd have a picture of the conquered bearing gifts or the ruler kicking them into a submissive posture (which the Pharohs seemed to like). Wonders would be depicted as presented by the ruler to the worshipful people. There is a lot that could be done with the idea. You could have different styles of picto-grams, an African style, a Mayan style, a Bayeux tapestry style, a Greek style, an Indian style, and so on and so on. You could even have the style of the pictograms modernize over time, culminating in "Movietones" shorts in the twentietn century, eventually leading into a webpage style towards the end.
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

If I had to choose between palace and throne room, I would defenately have the palace. But, I do like the idea of Echinda also. Very good Echinda!!

And live Civ!!

------------------
                  Who am I? What am I? Do we need Civ? Well....
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Nikolai on 02-25-2001 01:04 PM
                    If I had to choose between palace and throne room, I would defenately have the palace. But, I do like the idea of Echinda also. Very good Echinda!!

And live Civ!!

It sounds very similar to the ending of the original Civilization.

"I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I voted Civ 1 palace[/shameless signature test]

------------------
                      Civilization Gaming Network Forums
                      ~ The Apolyton Yearbook
                      ~ "Life is like Civilization. No matter how hard it gets, no matter how frustrated you become, remember one thing...it's only a game.
                      ~ "Life is like Civilization. Choosing Democracy doesn't make a difference. There will always be only one calling the shots."
                      "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                      You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Echinda on 02-21-2001 10:50 PM
                        At the end of SMAC they show an incredibly low res map that plays out the spread of your empires colour over the world (I don't remember if Civ II does the same thing and my father in law has my disk so I can't load it up to find out). Well, I just love that feature (as crappily done as it is).

This feature originated in Civ 1. That's why it's crappy!
                        (Sorry Brian! But it's true!)

But I hope that it is included in Civ III, nevertheless.
                        Sorry for being off topic, guys.
                        "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                        Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                        Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                        Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

What I want is a Big-@$$ statue of myshelf, not unlike Iosef Stalin

------------------
                          "People should know when they're conquered."

"Would you Quintis? Would I?"

"Soylant Green is people. PPPeeeoooppllleee!"
                          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

But i'd like sea colonies to be included as well.

(two-thirds of my empire was missing on my last game )

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by XIWVWIX on 03-02-2001 02:26 PM
                              But i'd like sea colonies to be included as well.

(two-thirds of my empire was missing on my last game )

Yeah, that was extremely irritating!! SMAC was fun, but to not see all of my empire was!!

------------------
                              Who am I? What am I? Do we need Civ? Well....
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Forbiddeen City could work if they zoomed out and did an isometric version. You'd start in one corner, get to the grand architecture in the middle, and finish up with the modern stuff in the other corner. There would naturally be choices for every spot.

------------------
                                St. Leo
                                http://www.sidgames.com/hosted/ziggurat/
                                http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
                                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X