X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Re: Communism and Corruption

Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis

It is basically flat for both factors now.

IOW, if you have 40% corruption in your capital, you will now also have 40% corruption in you most distant city.
    I presume you mean the base rate of corruption? That is, building a courthouse and police station in my capital city under communism won't affect corruption rates across my entire empire?

Comment

• Re EnigmaticGod posts
      Originally posted by barefootbadass
      You really are a jack@ss. You can't please everyone, and they clearly are working hard to balance the game and make it as fun as possible for everyone. PLEASE LEAVE if you are going to keep this crap up. You are not appreciated in this corner.
      Psst! Let him be. He's not worth the trouble (literally). Feel free to ignore his posts -- don't even read them.

Can't you see the agony he's in?

Comment

• What about SafeDisc problems?

Sounds like the patch will help a lot of things. However, will there
        be any attempt to resolve the SafeDisc-related problem that leaves some us unable to get anything past the intro splash screen, even with new CD drives?

I shouldn't have to get a cracked file to play a game I own...

Zoroaster

Comment

• I don't know if Firaxians are still visiting this forum, but I'll take a shot at asking my only two questions about this patch:

1. The list indicates that an AI exploit in trading cities has been eliminated. Am I correct in the assumption that this is the exploit where the AI will trade for a city, even if you have surrounded it with troops and keep taking it back and trading it again? If so, how has this exploit been eliminated?

2. The list indicates that a saved game corruption problem has been fixed. I have a hard drive full of corrupted save games where the cities no longer appear on the map when the game is reloaded. From reading other forums, I have gotten the impression that this is due to a corruption that enters the game file when an AI civ loses all its cities, but still has a settler hanging out somewhere. Is this the corruption problem that has been solved? Will this patch allow old saved games that have this problem to be reloaded?

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Patch: fixes game bugs, things not working, and balance isses
            Expansion Pack: adds new features. (ie, multiplayer)

I really wish Firaxis would quit combining these two.

Since it was only brought up once, and not responded to. I will echo it.

In the next PATCH, please fix the pollution production bug. It makes city mm a real PITA.

Other than that, it looks like a great first patch. (and those that know me, know how critical I am).

Oh yea, and the sssoouunndd problems lems lems.

Comment

• Re: EnigmaticGod...Put a cork in it already!!!

Originally posted by ntyatecafe

I've just started playing the game myself, and I know there are some problems with it, but name one game that was perfectly operational with no errors/bugs/problems or criticisms right from the start.
              Heh, I'll take a stab at that. The games 'Nibbles' and 'Gorilla' for DOS probably had no criticisms from their fans.

Comment

Last edited by Kaak; December 6, 2001, 01:57.
                "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaybe

100+ workers?!
                  No wonder you were upset! What the 'bleep' were you doing with that many workers??

(On large maps (continents), I've only had 30+ so far)
                  Dude, I had 200 workers in my game. It sucked the life force out of me. I had them because the game engine REQUIRES me to cover every square with road and railroad in order to achieve the best results. Don't blame me, blame the person who thought every square inch of land required railroad...

Venger

Comment

• Yes, I had read more than one person having 200 workers or more. I never got that crazy with it ... by 100, I had had enough. One can always NOT maximize the land, of course, but this goes against one of the important strategies of the game, and to have implemented it this way is disappointing.

The question is: Can it be changed, even in an XP? And there are those who claim to LIKE moving all the workers around. We'll see, I guess. A kick-a$$ automate (fully featured) function would make it quite cool.
                    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

• Thank you sir may I have another?

Some comments re: the patch...

First - stop thanking Firaxis for the patch. A patch is THE LEAST they can do for you, the person who paid THEM money. Thanking them is saying "thank you sir, may I have another"...

Second - alot of commentary before even loading the patch. Yes, it's nice they seem to have fixed some bugs, but the GREAT PATCH comments (and their equivalents) are WAY premature. What possible weight can anyone give to the patch not having played a single game with it?

Third - Some bug fixes are present, but that's it. It looks like what you got in Civ3 is pretty much what you're gonna get. And that's a profound disappointment. Want to upgrade units in an army, or move them in and out? Civ4. Starting positions, etc... Civ4. Too much seems undone...as Firaxis moves on to a new project.

What has been done may indeed improve the game. Only gameplay testing will tell the tale. However, I think what some were hoping for in this patch was more dramatic that grammatical fixes in the Civilopedia...

Venger

Comment

• Re: Re: EnigmaticGod...Put a cork in it already!!!

Originally posted by barefootbadass

Heh, I'll take a stab at that. The games 'Nibbles' and 'Gorilla' for DOS probably had no criticisms from their fans.

Yeah, but they had a real small following.

Cavalier

Comment

• While I agree with Venger about foolishness of the game mechanics required railroads on every square, I am still boggled by the numbers of workers being talked about here.

I play on the largest map possible, and I have never had that many workers. Not even close. And every square is developed within 30 or 40 turns of discovering steam power. What exactly are your little buggers DOING for the rest of the game?

Actually, I think many of the complaints about the worker automation system come about because the automator doesn't superficially appear to be working efficiently, even though in some bizarre counterintuitive way he's getting the job done. Just to see what would happen, I have been using Shift-A [NEVER just A. NEVER.] and only intervening when I want to maximize food somewhere [the automator has a mine bias], and intervening for a few turns when it comes time to get a railroad system going. The map is still just as covered with ugly looking improvements as it is when I'm in charge. My empire is still optimized well before the AI's is, probably because I build more workers than he does. [Still not 100 though.] Give the automator a shot, but be prepared to wait 100 turns for the logic of his approach to become apparent.

I'll go back to using the workers directly eventually, but it is fascinating to see the way the AI approaches the problem.

Comment

• Two patch issues that were mentioned by Firaxis members in threads before today and seem to be missing:

1) Resource distribution for small maps

2) Something was said like "you won't have to wonder about the combat odds anymore". I expected this meant combat odds were to be presented.

Were these followed up on?

Comment

• Originally posted by Venger

Dude, I had 200 workers in my game. It sucked the life force out of me. I had them because the game engine REQUIRES me to cover every square with road and railroad in order to achieve the best results. Don't blame me, blame the person who thought every square inch of land required railroad...

Venger
                              Go to the editor and turn off mining for grasslands and plains. That way, railroads only help food production and that's pointless after a city is past size 21.

Or you could just play to win and not to achieve the "best results" -- whatever that is.

Best results = maximum playing fun.
                              "Barbarism is the natural state of mankind... Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always triumph."

Comment

• "Dude, I had 200 workers in my game. It sucked the life force out of me. I had them because the game engine REQUIRES me to cover every square with road and railroad in order to achieve the best results. Don't blame me, blame the person who thought every square inch of land required railroad...

Venger"

Yeh, but...

When I've had a bunch of workers on automate they swiftly construct railroad throughout my empire as soon as I get Steam Power... Any glaring problems with food/production misbalance can be resolved manually. With the patch the workers will move invisibly. What's the bloody problem? (Ok, right now it's a real pain in the butt but if the patch works, then...).

Aesthetically it's not super great, but does that really kill all enjoyment for you?

And do you think that instead of saying 'Ta very much' it's better to have the 'right you bast@rds, lets see the bloody MP NOW!' approach?

I think there are issues with the game, but I also think you two (Yin & Venger) sometimes go out of your way to make playing the game a shltty experience. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

(Sits back, waits for napalm death)

V

Comment

Working...
                                X