That does it! I'm outta here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That does it! I'm outta here...

I've had more than enough of this, I'm not putting up with this Firaxis/Infogrames crap any longer: "Oh yeah, we're gonna make the best game ever, it will by far outdo any other (civ-)game ever made and we'll do everything we can to support the fan-community in their customization efforts". Meanwhile, they didn't have a demo, no MP, no scenarios, disappointing LE, no public beta, very poor PR (as Yin put it), they're treating non-Americans like second-class citizens, the game itself is not only just a 'conservative sequel' but also - even for such a conservative product - of only mediocre quality AND, more importantly (to me), no scripting- or event-language and no scenario support of any kind. Now, I can (and did) accept all that, there are excuses for such things and they can (partially) be fixed afterwards but now they apparently expect us to ask for written permission before we make any modifications to the game. How many other games are there out there for which this is required? Such policy is absolutely rediculous, there is no excuse for it; supporting the fan-community my @ss!

I can understand how they don't like it if people start translation projects on their own, but the way they're responding to Kai Fiebach's project is outrageous. They announced it will be about 4-6 months before a German translation becomes available and they're actually surprised fans start translating it themselves? Either you release translations (almost) immediately after the original release (other companies can do it, why can't they?) or you accept the fact that fans will act themselves. To think fans will patiently wait six months is naive to say the least, and to start a campaign of lawsuits (yeah, yeah, I know it's technically not a lawsuit but it's not a friendly email/phone-call either) and slandering against your fans is extremely immature and inappropriate.

To me, mod- and scenario-making is by far the most important reason for playing Civ and Firaxis/Infogrames seem to be determined to restrict modmakers as much as they can (no scripting, no scenario support, no standard-format files for graphics and texts, requiring fans to ask permission for customization, generally taking advantage of our goodwill), even though their PR-campaign say differently (no doubt in the hope of selling more copies). For this reason and to sympathize with Kai Fiebach/ColdFever, who - regardless of his good intentions - is being royally f*cked for all of us to see (and I can't help but wonder who will be next), I'm bailing out of Civ3 altogether. I originally planned on buying the game when the price-quality ratio was acceptable (i.e. after a patch or two or after the price drops), but I'm not gonna do so anymore. I'll no longer visit Civ3.com (and thus give up my hard-fought #5 ranking on CivTrivia: good luck to Skanky Burns et al) or the Apolyton (and CivFanatics) Civ3 section & forums, I will no longer update the XPC poll (just posted a last big update but that's it) and I resign as the Apolyton ExtraCivs Pack project leader. Firaxis/Infogrames have lost me to the competition, probably for good. You can say what you want of Activision, but at least they were sincere in their attempts of helping the fans (unfortunately due to internal reorganizations and commercial failure their options were very limited)...

Yes, I realize that this is only a small thing, I'm only one individual and it won't hurt Firaxis or Infogrames one bit but it's a big thing for me. I won't start a campaign of flaming, trolling or trying to convince people to follow my lead (heck, I'd probably get sued if I did), but I wouldn't mind if other people would take a moment to contemplate on whether or not they think the way Firaxis/Infogrames have been acting lately (particularly in the last week or so but also over the last 6 months) requires some form of protest (edit: I just noticed Hoek's open letter: that's one option, my selfimposed 'cease and desist order' is another, more radical, one)...

If anyone needs me, I can be found in the CtP(2) forums (and possibly in the Clash and other Alt Civs projects as well) and I check my email and PM regularly (and I'll keep an eye on this thread in the next few days). Inspite of Firaxis/Infogrames' behaviour, the time I spent on these Civ3 forums in the last few months was fun, interesting and well spent, so I hope to see many of you guys (including the Firaxians, I don't have anything against them personally) elsewhere sometime. Until then, I salute you all: Goodbye, Auf Wiedersehen, Au revoir, Hasta la vista, G^is, Shalom, Do svidanja, Zai jian, Sayonara, Salaam, Ciao, Khairete, Xaire, Vale, Näkemiin, Adjö, Até logo, Czesc, Sawatdi, Hoscakal, Dehna hunu, Fo tuma du, De groete, Tjow...
    (I apologize if I left out anyone's language but I only speak so many languages )

edit: typo's 'n stuff...
    Last edited by Locutus; November 30, 2001, 21:06.
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Auf Wiedersehen, Locutus. You will be missed, especially in the Civ3-Civilizations forum.
    "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

cya....thats a shame.....
      Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Good bye Locutus! I support your argumentation, you're absolutely right. ntl I'll try to continue the project and start doing that tomorrow.
        If you could do me just a favor and share your knowledge of the Ethiopians with me. Lamentably mine is quite poor and Zara Yacob, by god's grace pristking john of the ethiopians is one of the few things I know...
        "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
        "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I was really looking forward to seeing what you could do with Civ III scenarios when the tools get up to snuff.

Dan
          Dan Magaha
          Firaxis Games, Inc.
          --------------------------

Comment

See you Locutus.

Good points though...

Comment

Way to go dude!!!
              "Five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what has it produced? The Cuckoo Clock... goodbye Harold"

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I was really looking forward to seeing what you could do with Civ III scenarios when the tools get up to snuff.
                So Firaxis, or at least a representative of Firaxis realizes that a substandard part ov Civ3 was released.
                Wonder what else will happen...
                It is a full moon, though!

Comment

Goodbye Locutus- but why not stick around and help the Civ II and III players having troubles- considering you know the Civ-series well- you could do a lot of good!

Good argument, however.

Mr. Firaxis---- I see... so you want us to do the scenario work for you- I hope you noticed the angry scenario-editor requests- if the scenarios are hard to make- some will be made- but not many- the game just becomes more frustrating with bad scenario-editors-

As a side note- Computer Games Magazine and CGW gave Civ III 5 stars??????
                  -->Visit CGN!
                  -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

This is sad

Its really sad when a game is released unfinished and then the publishers freak out when fans try to finish it for them.

does anyone actually think that the editors gonna be fixed with the patch? yea right its all about nailing everyone twice.Can anyone say MP and editor with a few scenarios x-pac ? bend over while they extract another $30.(if im wrong about this my apologies to firaxis/infogrames).
                    My 10 day return period is expired so I have great hope for the patch but Im not holding my breath.
                    Ive stopped playing the game until the patch and gone back to the game I bought just before this OP. Flashpoint.

Seeya Locutus of Borg.
                    Die-Bin Laden-die

Comment

Die-Bin Laden-die
                      Is that German for 'The-Bin Laden-The'?
                      "Five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what has it produced? The Cuckoo Clock... goodbye Harold"

Comment

exactly
                        you watch the Simpsons too huh?
                        Die-Bin Laden-die

Comment

Heh

Comment

IS that a haha or a huh?

Anyway that was sideshow Bob explaining to his parole board why he had DIE-BART-DIE tatooed on his chest.
                            Die-Bin Laden-die

Comment

After reading this forum since the beginning, I finally decided to register after reading this thread, just to say this::

Say...thats pretty funny...about the Simpsons and stuff....

Why dont you get yer heads outta yer a$$es and hijack someone elses thread with your dribble.

Let the man leave with some dignity.

Comment

Working...
                              X