The *Complete* Tech Tree - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The *Complete* Tech Tree - Discuss

Let's start from the beginning and analyse the entire thing. What do each and every one of the Icons mean? Are the connections between techs logical?
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

hey scumbag. are you getting stuff we're not?!?!?
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Listing what i see

(modern)
      there appears to be a unit under computers. looks like a mech inf.

i dont see a howie under robotics. looks like a ships there.

Fission seems to yield a nuclear sub.

no ship for steel? have to wait for combustion.

Ecology has nothing???

(industrial)
      mass production yields 3 ships... no buildings...

replacable parts??? please not a howie...

medicine has nothing???

Industrialization yields 3 buildings.

Espiogane... looks like a building... units are on WHITE BG... no spy?

Advanced flight, chopper and paratrooper? NO BOMBER?

ah, bombers in normal flight...

Radio yields a building... looks odd.

(Middle)
      Chilvary yeilds an unmounted unit? (is that a samuari? are they chinese?) (i know samurari arent chinese dammit.)

invention makes a unit now?

Magnetism makes 3 boats.

pikemen are still in (you heathens!) on a direct path to musketeers

education tech? a school?

Democracy... no wonder... no statue of liberty?

Navigation... Explorer unit... no Caravel?

stupid Arts techs

(ancient)
      monarchy needed for palace?

mapmaking lets you have 2 buildings? ones lighthouse...

i still dont know what that thing on constructions tab is (rook icon) i saw it on the game map.

laterz!
      Last edited by Inverse Icarus; August 13, 2001, 17:23.
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

As you can see on the middle-age screen, both Invention and Gunpowder are marked green, and numbered 1 and 2. I take it you can actually set up a a research path to final tech, allowing the computer to automatically research whatever pre-requisite techs necessary to get there. Nice and smooth.

Comment

I see some thins in the modern age that make me think of things that could be in the game.

1- Satellites - How will this work, does it just give you some city improvement or do you get to control satellites in space?!?!

2- Integrated Defense - I honestly have no idea.

3- Smart weapons - Some kind of AI controlled unit, or perhaps a unit that triggers automaticly when something happens, maybe a unit that is completly computer driven?
          It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

There is a lot more monder techs I think.

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

2- Integrated Defense - I honestly have no idea.
              It appears as if that is where you will learn the technology to build the SDI Defence.

I really don't have any fits with the tech tree, in fact I like it.
              However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Wille
                1- Satellites - How will this work, does it just give you some city improvement or do you get to control satellites in space?!?!

I remember reading somewhere that satellites will be similar to what we had in SMAC. I'm not sure about it though.
                "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

This is strange, two techs are green in the middle ages tree. Since we came to the conclusion of green meaning what you are researching, blue meaning what you have researched, gray what you haven't researched, and yellow what you can research this leads me to ask this question. Does this mean that we can now research two things at once?
                  However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Eli you read that on a recent post from a Firaxian, I think.

Comment

If you look closely you can see on some of the advances that it says an amount of turns. I noticed this on the brown and green coloured ones, this probably tells you how many turn it takes to research the advance.
                      It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Gone (17)

Automobile
                        Bridge Building
                        Combined Arms
                        Conscription
                        Explosives
                        Fundamentalism
                        Fusion Power
                        Guerilla Warfare
                        Labor Union
                        Leadership
                        Machine Tools
                        Plastics
                        Railroad
                        Refrigeration
                        Seafaring
                        Tactics
                        Trade

Renamed (7)

Environmentalism -> Ecology
                        Genetic Engineering -> Genetics
                        Mobile Warfare -> Motored Transportation
                        Literacy -> Literature
                        Nuclear Fission -> Fission
                        Steam Engine -> Steam Power
                        University -> Education

New (11)

Free Artistry
                        Integrated Defense
                        Military Tradition
                        Music Theory
                        Nationalism
                        Printing Press
                        Replaceable Parts
                        Satellites
                        Scientific Method
                        Smart Weapons
                        Synthetic Fibers

Sadly still missing (top 8)

Canal Building
                        Colonialism
                        Hydraulics
                        Logistics
                        The Mill
                        The Plough
                        Psychology
                        Tourism
                        Last edited by Ribannah; August 13, 2001, 19:20.
                        A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
                        Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

Originally posted by Wille
                          3- Smart weapons - Some kind of AI controlled unit, or perhaps a unit that triggers automaticly when something happens, maybe a unit that is completly computer driven?
                          I think it makes your missiles more accurate, that will say there hit power will increase.
                          "If something is too hard,give it up. The moral my boy is too never try anything" - Homer Simpson

Comment

Folks, check out Space Flight. There is the Apollo Program, but there are three other Wonders as well. You can see little spheres like planets. One "planet" is red. Could it be that Firaxis added more Wonders for the colonization of Mars etc like we talked about here? Perhaps, they separated the Apollo Program and the Alpha Centauri mission into 2 separate Wonders? Or are they one of the spaceship modules? What do you guys think?

I also confirm in the Middle Ages screen that you can set up a "build queue" for research. That is great!
                            'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                            G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Originally posted by TechWins
                              This is strange, two techs are green in the middle ages tree. Since we came to the conclusion of green meaning what you are researching, blue meaning what you have researched, gray what you haven't researched, and yellow what you can research this leads me to ask this question. Does this mean that we can now research two things at once?
                              Techwins, please read my post. And you complain on others not reading all the posts?

Comment

Working...
                              X