List of units in Civ3 based on screen shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by korn469
    any others nations use aircraft carriers?
    Italy have a carrier named "nave Garibaldi" able to lauch AV8 B II Harrier planes with a skyjump in a Short Take Off, then Landing Vertically. They carry helicopters, too (mainly for ASW, rescue and troop transport).

It's not very different from a Class Tarawa US Navy ship.
    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
    - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Spain has also an aircraft carrier capable to operate with 24 SWOTL planes (and also helicopters) called "Principe de Asturias". I guess is similar to the "Garibaldi".
      Spain also sold one vessel of the same class to Thailand, but I´ve read is not operative due to problem with the thailandians SWOTL planes.

Foch and Clemenceau are french carriers, bigger than those of Spain or Italy.

But I guess only the USA has carriers that could "carry" more than 80 non-swotl planes.

The problem is that "the longer the plane ranges are, the useless the aircraft carriers become". Of course USA carriers are not useless, as we could saw in the Gulf war and we can see now with the retaliation against Bin Laden. But mind that the heavy bombers were based on Diego Garcia. I mean that WW2 was the finest moment for the carriers, but with time they will lose importance, except for those with a "global strategy" like the USA.

Comment

From the newest update:

In a screen, an ironclad is selected.

Stats: 4(4).4.2/4

Plus the Aztec's UU, the Jaguar warrior, an upgraded Warrior (1.1.1)

The J.W. is 1.1.2

Comment

i updated the list to include the Jaguar Warrior and the ironclad's stats, in another thread Jeff Morris from firaxis also identified the last ship under Magnetism, that ship is a privateer, he also confirmed that the list of ships was right

and is it just me or does anyone else have a problem with an ironclad and a battleship traveling at the same speed? i mean if you compared the U.S. monitor to the U.S. Missouri i'm sure you'd find a rather large speed difference

Jaguar Warrior
          With such a low attack power power, this CSU isn't one to be truly feared, however on a small map the Aztecs with their extreamly early golden age could be one of the most dominant civs.
          Last edited by korn469; September 25, 2001, 07:42.

Comment

and is it just me or does anyone else have a problem with an ironclad and a battleship traveling at the same speed? i mean if you compared the U.S. monitor to the U.S. Missouri i'm sure you'd find a rather large speed difference
            If they keep some of the Civ2 functionality, the modern ships (like the battleship) will gain an extra point of movement when you discover Nuclear Power.
            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

though i cannot explain why Elephants and Polytheism have been linked at all...the belief in numerous god have nothing to do with elephants, but elephants do seem to make people happy so i see why they are considered a luxery item in civ3
              The reason they are connected is that the only country ever to use war elephants is India and in India the major religion is hinduism and hinduism is the only major polyetistik religion in the world.

And i believe its a jaguar warrior, there is no eagle warrior.
              If you place a thing into the center of your life, that lacks the power to nourish. It will eventually poison everything that you are.
              And destroy you. -Maxi Jazz, Faithless

Comment

About the Aicraft carrier discussion, I understand Iran wanted to buy a new one from the Russians(Yeltsin as head of state).Perhaps with Putin in power that changed though..

Comment

Has anyone mentioned:

Cavalry 6.2.3

The screenshot:

http://www.gamestar.de/images/magazin/popup-bilder/civilization3_b2.jpg
                  "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                  "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                  "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

ok i updated the list to include cavalry, which i am assuming is the mounted gunpowder unit under military tradition...good pick up on that stuie!

DonJoel

carthage also used war elephants, so i still don't get the polytheism link, and firaxis confirmed that the Aztec CSU was the Jaguar Warrior

stuie

one other thing, you are probably right about modern ships getting a boost with nuclear power, but that would still only make a battleship one faster than than an ironclad, and if you look at the screenshot, the battleship has a sun icon on it, so it may already have nuclear power

Comment

Harlan

we now know that the War Elephant is in the game as the Indian CSU, but it replaces the Knight, Polytheism is at least three techs before Chivalry (cerimonial burial --> mysticism --> polytheism), so the Indians would have an unbalanced advantage...they get War Elephants way before any other civ gets knights, and it doesn't require any resources to build...that is too much, so while it might be possible it would seem strange

though i cannot explain why Elephants and Polytheism have been linked at all...the belief in numerous god have nothing to do with elephants, but elephants do seem to make people happy so i see why they are considered a luxery item in civ3
                      The god Siva (aka Shiva ) beheaded Vinayak (his son) for blocking entrance to the palace. After telling his wife what he had done she begged him to bring the boy back to life. Not having the childs head handy he replaces it with the head of Gajasura, a monster/elephant that he had been carring, thus bringing the boy back to life.

Later Vinayak wins a race between him and Kumarswami that Siva held to select the best one of them as a leader of all the gods. Upon winning Vinayak takes the name Ganesh. All Hindu gods worship Ganesh whos blessed as the Supreme God of the universe.
                      The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.

Comment

carthage also used war elephants, so i still don't get the polytheism link, and firaxis confirmed that the Aztec CSU was the Jaguar Warrior
                        You dont? I think I explained it pretty good. The Indians are atleast the most famous for using war elephants and it wouldnt suprise me if the Carthaginians had a polyethistik religion too, it certainly wasnt Islam or Christianity since they wasnt invented back then.
                        If you place a thing into the center of your life, that lacks the power to nourish. It will eventually poison everything that you are.

Comment

Shiva and DonJoel

i know that you have backed up examples of the use of elephants in india with religious examples, but i still don't think that the military use of elephants and the development of a religion with various gods are linked...i would say that elephants were used because they had military and not religious implications

how about Vaghadeva, the tiger god? tigers also probably have alot of representation in hinduism, and tigers can kill a man much easier than a horse, however the widespread military use of tigers is unheard of while elephants had little impact on most military operations, horses on the other hand proved to have worldwide military implications

i would say that a group that either believed in one god, or didn't believe in gods at all could grasp the military uses of elephants, as they could grasp the military ultility of horses or gunpowder or nuclear weapons

even more than that, we have seen various changes in the tech tree, but many people in this forum wants to hold on to the elephants/polytheism association while easily letting go of caravans, diplomats, spies, crusaders, dragoons, and cruisers...that is what i don't understand why are there people arguing that the indian war elephant still comes with polytheism while nobody is arguing that diplomats still come with writing when firaxis has made it fairly clear that neither one of those associations are true...can u explain that?

one more question, does anyone want to guess if the battleship is nuclear powered or not?

Comment

Yep you are right, there are no true connections but polyethism is a good choice if you want to keep the original civilization advances.
                            But polyethism isnt the only unit that has a bad tech, im thinking of labor union and mechanized infantry for example.

PS. I believe the most popular hinduistik god, Ganesha, is part a boy, part an elefant.

Did they really use tigers?? How did they manage to grow enough?

Comment

add Privateer to the list
                              Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

DonJoel

i don't think that tigers have ever been systematically used in war and that was my point, tigers are represented in hinduism just like elephants are, but their religious associations mean little when it comes time to devise military strategies

think abouts snakes, many religions have snakes as a symbol (even christianity) but it's not like they load ICBMs up with cobras or rattle snakes, because snake warhead would be useless, compared to a wearhead that had smallpox in it

so yes they linked elephants and polytheism in civ2, but that link isn't in civ3

EDIT:

MarkL, i added the privateer yesterday, it was the unidentified ship under Magnetism
                                Last edited by korn469; September 26, 2001, 08:45.

Comment

Working...
                                X