List of units in Civ3 based on screen shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of units in Civ3 based on screen shots

Using a variety of screen shots, and information from civ3.com here is the most up to date information present about which units are in civ3. If anyone has any suggestions, new screen shots with information, or if i have gotten a unit wrong please contact me.

In the begining
    *Great Leaders 0.0.3
    *Settlers 0.0.1
    *Scouts 0.0.2
    *Warriors 1.1.1 {Jaguar Warrior 1.1.2}
    *Workers 0.0.1

Ancient Era
    *Bronze Working: Spearman 1.2.1 {Hoplite 1.3.1} {Impi 1.2.2}
    *The Wheel: Chariot 1.1.2 {War Chariot 2.1.2} Horses
    *Warrior Code: Archers 2.1.1 {Bowmen 2.1.2}
    *Iron Working: Swordmen 3.2.1 {Immortal 4.2.1} {Legion 3.3.1} Iron
    *Mathematics: Catapult 0(4).0.1
    *Map Making: Trireme
    *Horseback Riding: Horsemen 2.1.2 {Mounted Warrior 3.1.2} Horses

Middle Ages
    *Feudalism: Pikemen 1.3.1
    *Chivalry: Knight 4.3.2 {Rider 4.4.3} {War Elephant 4.3.2} {Samurai 4.4.2} Horses, Iron
    *Invention: Long bowman
    *Gunpowder: Musketman 3.3.1 {Musketeer 3.4.1} Saltpeter
    *Astronomy: Caravel
    *Metallurgy: Cannon
    *Navigation: Explorers
    *Magnetism: Galleon, Privateer, Frigate 2(2).2.4 {Man 'o War}
    *Military Tradition: Cavalry 6.3.3 {Cossak 6.4.3} Horses, Saltpeter

Industrial Age
    *Nationalism: Rifleman
    *Steam Power: Ironclad 4(4).4.4
    *Combustion: Destroyer, Transport 1.4.5
    *Replaceable Parts: Artillary, Infantry
    *Flight: Bomber, Fighter
    *Amphibious Warfare: Marine
    *Mass Production: Aircraft Carrier, Submarine, Battleship 18(8).12.6 Oil
    *Motorized Transportation: Tank 16.8.2 {Panzer 16.8.3} Oil, Rubber
    *Advanced Flight: Paratrooper, Helicopter 0.4.4 (can transport 2 units) Oil, Rubber

Modern Era
    *Rocketry: Cruise missile, Jet Fighter {F-15}
    *Fission: Nuclear Submarine
    *Computers: Howitzers
    *Space Flight: Tactical Nuke Uranium
    *Synthetic Fibers: Modern Armor 24.14.3 Oil
    *Stealth: Stealth Fighter, Stealth Bomber 0(8).2.8 RoF 4 Aluminum, Oil
    *Satellites: ICBM Uranium
    *Robotics: Aegis Cruiser, Mech Infantry

Civ Specific Units

The Americans: F-15
    The Aztecs: Jaguar Warrior
    The Babylonians: Bowman
    The Chinese: Rider
    The Egyptians: War Chariot
    The English: Man o' war
    The French: Musketeer
    The Germans: Panzer
    The Greeks: Hoplite
    The Indians: War Elephant
    The Iroquois: Mounted Warrior
    The Japanese: Samurai
    The Persians: Immortal
    The Romans: Legion
    The Russians: Cossack
    The Zulus: Impi

Unit Notes
    *Regular Units have three hitpoints
    *Vetern Units have four hitpoints
    *Elite Units have five hitpoints and each time they win a hardfought battle that have a chance of spawning a Great Leader
    *there are now three additional types of combat: bombardment, missile attacks, and air combat
    *Bombardment van be used against enemy units, terrain improvements, cities which may kill population and destroy buildings.
    *Air units now have a specialized range of missions

Air Missions
    *Bombing mission (bombards the selected square, damaging units, city improvements, and population)
    *Precision Bombing mission (targets a specific improvement in a city for destruction) {F-15 and stealth units only}
    *Recon mission (investigates the selected square)
    *Air Superiority mission (attacks enemy air units that enter the unit's defensive range)
    *Airdrop mission (Airlifts a single ground unit to another location)
    *Re-Base mission (Selects a new base of operations and relocates the unit to that base)

Espionage missions
    *Sabotage (sabotages the current project of an enemy city)
    *Propaganda (attempts to convince an enemy city to join your Civilization)
    *Steal Plans (reveals all troop locations of an enemy Civ for one turn)
    *Steal World Map (reveals what an enemy knows about the world)
    *Expose Enemy Spy (ferrets out opposing spies)
    *Steal Tech
    *Investigate City

The Screenshots

GameSpot is the world's largest source for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS Vita, Wii PC, 3DS, PSP, DS, video game news, reviews, previews, trailers, walkthroughs, and more.

Customer service is our #1 priority. Get a premium domain for your website today. Financing available.

GameSpot is the world's largest source for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS Vita, Wii PC, 3DS, PSP, DS, video game news, reviews, previews, trailers, walkthroughs, and more.

Color Coding:
    *Purple items are CSU that have been confirmed by Firaxis
    *Green items are CSU that haven't been confirmed by Firaxis yet
    *Darkred items are the special resources needed to build the unit
    *Sienna items are CSUs that are exempt from normal special resource requirements

special thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and helped build this list i couldn't have made it without you!
    Last edited by korn469; October 26, 2001, 13:49.

Re: List of units in Civ3 based on screen shots

Originally posted by korn469
    *Gunpowder: Musketeer (french musketeer)
    I think the "base" unit for gunpowder is "Musketman" - the French super-unit is "Musketeer".
    Diplomacy is the continuation of war by other means.

Comment

The Firaxis Sight has shown these for quite a while, though no clues on the associated techs.
      Modern Times: Tank (Panzer, German Special Unit)
      Fighters
      MiG -(Russian Special Unit ???)
      F-15 American Special Unit
      A on, miatezhnyi, prosit buri,
      Kak budto v buriakh est' pokoi!
      -M. Lermontov, "Parus", 1832

Comment

The Democracy unit looks like two units (a human 'floating' over a horse) but if you look at all the other units, they take up the same amount of space as those two together in Democracy do, leading me to believe that its really one unit. Maybe it has the option to dismount or something?

Whats up with Military Tradition... it sounds like someone couldn't think of a good name. That unit looks very snazy with laced boots. Could it be a 'Royal' Guard or something like that? It is Military Tradition.

Also, why is there a Big 'T' Orb in Engineering without the 'T'?

Is the Crown/Castle Tower icon in Construction in the Ancient tree represent the ability to build Fortresses by Workers/Settlers?

I also wonder about the colors of the techs. Originaly, I thought Blue was acquired knowledge,Tan/Yellow was available for research and the Tan/Brown was unavailable (prereq arent met yet). But thats all screwed up in the Anciet Tech tree shot. Bronze Working is Lime Green. Could that mean that that tech is the 'special' tech that gives a civ their unique unit. Why wouldn't Iron Working be Tan/Yellow? Maybe the player hasn't researched Bronze Working? I seem to be answering a lot of my own questions
        Last edited by To_Serve_Man; August 6, 2001, 11:39.
        "Mr. Chambers! Don't get on that ship! We've mastered the book, To Serve Man.... it - its a cook book!"

Comment

Good work Korn!
          I think that the Democracy unit is a civilian, probably.
          MiG is confirmed as a Russian UU.
          As for Conquistadors, the conquistadors in Mexico were mounted.

*Iron Working: Swordmen {Legion}

Swordsmen are a unit available for all civs, after discovery of Iron Working, and you need to have a resource of Iron in order to produce those.
          Legions are Roman UUs, that require Iron, just like the swordsmen.

Impi is not a warrior. It's an improved version of Spearmen (same parameters, but faster). Warrior represents Militia from the original civ, being the weakest unit in the game.

Mathematics still gives you Catapults, but that's no longer is such a big freaking gun it was.

Map Making gives you a small transport ship, which can't travel over oceans, way like original civ.

AFAIK, one of Magnetism units is a transport with average fighting capabilities.

UUs I know thus far:
          Roman Legions
          Japanese Samurai
          American F-15s (fighter)
          Russian MiG (fighter)
          German Panzer (a stronger version of a Tank)
          Zulu Impi, which is faster spearman
          Viking Longships
          French - Musketeer or Paladin
          Greek - Hoplite

One I'm not sure of are the Mongols, but it appears to be their special-trained horse archer, Mangudai, acting as a destroyer.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Solver

how can the impi be an improved version of the spearman when there is not a spearman in civ3? (at least the english version)

so are you implying that the impi is an improved phalanx or an improved pikeman?

if the democracy unit is a civilian then what unit could it possibly be? it looks like some dismounted cavlry unit to me...could it possibly be a caravan? i'm not sure

the reason that i put {Legion} in those brackets is to show that the romans do not have swordmen that they have legions which are improved swordmen both of which probably cost the same and require the same special resources to build

also samurai would more than likely be with swordmen too then

solver do you have any screen shots of the industrial age or modern age tech trees? besides previews have you seen any screen shots with those special units?

To_Serve_Man

i think that you are right that the crown looking thing represents the ability to build fortresses...so far it seems that the T in the red box is going to be the tech's picture (like in SMAC) and then the other T's represent buildings and wonders

Comment

ok over the past few weeks there has been lots of new information surface so i thought it would be a good time to update my list

Comment

Update the fact that the Babylonian special unit is the Mounted Bowmen which is a special unit of the archer.
                About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

tniem

ok got it...i will update the industrial and modern ages tommorrow...also i bet that the egyptian unit will be a special chariot

the japanses will probably get a samurai...but would that replace the knight or the swordman?

the german panzer will probably be the early tank associated with motorized transport

as for the rest, i'm unsure
                  Last edited by korn469; August 14, 2001, 03:49.

Comment

The impi is an improved Spearman. It's a new unit that has appeared in several screeshots. I think the Phalanx in the greek special unit, also an improved spearman.
                    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Snapcase

on the technology charts you only have the following non-mounted non-gunpowder infantry units

Warriors
                      Phalanx
                      Archers
                      Swordmen
                      Pikemen

there is no spearman unit, unless firaxis changed the name of the phalanx to spearman

from what i've read the greek special unit is a hoplite which is an upgraded phalanx unit

so are you saying the zulus are upgraded phalanxs too?

Comment

No, I'm saying that what you're percieving as a "Phalanx" is in fact a "Spearman", a unit which has appeared in half a dozen screenshots and whose existence is not in doubt. There is no evidence whatsoever for a "Hoplite" unit existing, therefore I conjecture that the "Phalanx" is the Greek special unit.

Comment

i've seen those screen shots, it was one of the units on the old firax.com/civ3 right? along with the fighter and that looked like a phalanx to me, and it had the same tech as what a phalanx did in civ2 and most likely it will still be a 1-2-1 unit, so i wouldn't exactly call it new...but i will change it's name to spear man...

Comment

Originally posted by Snapcase
                            There is no evidence whatsoever for a "Hoplite" unit existing, therefore I conjecture that the "Phalanx" is the Greek special unit.
                            Actually, there was a screenshot (don't remember where) a few months ago with a greek city building Hoplites.
                            får jag köpa din syster? tre kameler för din syster!

Comment

Not those ones, Korn. There was a Phalanx in one of those renders, but look at this screenshot: http://apolyton.net/civ3/images/view...Map_Screen.jpg

You will percieve that Hannover is building Spearmen. Also notice the unit that appears in both Berlin and Rome that clearly is not a Warrior or a Pikeman. Anyway, Firaxis has confirmed in one of the previews that the Impi was a Spearman with an extra movement point.

Okay, yes, I remember the greeks building hoplites. Therefore my new theory is that the Phalanx has been scrapped in favour of a Hoplite unit, which is the greek special unit.

Comment

Working...
                              X