Who uses nukes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who uses nukes?

I just wanted to know who relies on nuclear weapons as part of their strategy.
    I never actually used them before and saw no need, up to Emperor.
    Since these are supposed to be the great equalise, I decided to test how they work on all dif. levels.
    [I'm using AU mod, just so you know]
    This was my project for the last 3 or so months. [my games last LONG] All games as Persia.

Well here it goes:

Chieftan: Saw no need for them. Could have won easily long before these were even available. Purposely DIDN'T win untill I got these. Found them to be counter productive. For the cost I could probably build enough units to take over the city, no problem.

Warlord: Same deal as above. Seems to be that wasting the city makes no sense when you can take over it so easily. None of the AIs managed to get them, although I think that some nukes would have helped them fight back. Mneh. Thats warlord for you.

Prince: Still no use. A nuke did help to crack open an AI capital, but that was just becuase I didn't want to wait for 2-3 turns of bombard. Effective yes. Neccessary? No. Not worth using still.

Monarch: Not much going for me this game. Bad placement, nowhere to REX, tough enemies. Still, I got to tech. parity and got out some nukes. Didn't work so well on the small cities, I just ended up making them useless. The biger cities went pollution crazy, starved, rioted and when I captured them had nothing of value, again not very useful. They did wok woners on the giant AI stacks. I launched one right at a border city with a bunch of AI units sitting there. The city was useless. The AI's main army was pretty much dead. Quite effective.
    Conclusion: A nuke helps break an uneasy balance where noone can get ahead. Useful if your starting position is bad.

Emeperor: [even]Well this time it was a little different. I started well, kept my vassal states under control and was ahead slightly by the end game. Didn't need nukes at all but I did use them to a distant enemy. After three went off he quickly came to the table begging for mercy.
    Meh. If you're that far ahead using nukes to inspire fear isn't as good as using armies to inspire fear.
    Only good for attacking a distant, powerful enemy that you couldn't get to other wise.

Diety: Again, started in a great spot. GOt my self a continent. Another computer got himself a continent. Another one got a bunch of islands. The rest were at our mercy. I started two wars with both the other "leaders". Throwing nukes at the islland chain worked poorly. At most I disrupted a couple cities after the attack. Since the island empire was spread out it would have taken over 20 nukes and a large invasion force to do anything.
    The other continntal enemy was now ahead of me becuase of this wasted war. Fortunately 4 nukes wiped out 80% of his main forces. A single strike took out around 2 cities [drove them inot starvation becuase of pollution]. Worked very well against a larger, superior amount of units and cities.

My conclusion: Nukes are useful only at the higher stages. Near useless when you're winning, work well if you're the under dog. Shame that the AI doesn't use them well [or at all]

I, as of yet, have not felt the need to use them.

Comment

Only used them a few times on games that were conquest only huge maps. This allows the game to run long enough to have nukes. I only used them, if the AI used them first.
      So it can be a laugh, but is not a factor in the out come.
      Last edited by vmxa1; August 8, 2003, 18:44.

Comment

I've only used them back when the game first came out, to see the effects. Haven't touched 'em since.

I don't think they are needed, or particularly useful given the shield outlay. Besides, the game is almost always won or lost before the modern era.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I only used them after I already won just to see what would happen.
          badams

Comment

I have yet to be in a situation where I needed them, except the Egyptian Mess, a looooong time ago, and I doubt I could have survived long enought to effectively nuke my way to victory.

[Hey, that has a nice ring to it: Nuke My Way To Victory!! :lol]

But the few times I've played with'em, man, they are fun!
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Played with them for the fun. But never relied on them for any strategy. Cost to much and to limited usually.
              If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Needed them? Probably not, but they can really speed up a sure thing game.
                Seemingly Benign
                Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

I've always been disappointed in that the AI will never use nukes against me. I have never needed to use nukes, but they do have their uses, such as breaking the will of a heavily fortified city. 95% of the time that I use nukes, it is out of boredom.

Comment

once for fun!

Comment

I've never once used them. Like Arrian I usually have the game won before they really come on line...either that or I got my butt kicked before I got there and started a new game.

I suppose I'll have to try one out sooner or later just to see the effect.
                      Last edited by Rhothaerill; August 8, 2003, 23:48.

Comment

There was an AU a while back I almost had to resort to nukes to attempt to wipe out the French. Ended up getting a space victory the turn before I planned on launching my nukes. But then I went back just for fun and launched. It was fun to watch but isn't a good way to win IMHO.
                        Holy Cow!!! BigDork's Back!

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?

Comment

I usually build a few. My games have Manhattan Project as a minor wonder.

I occasionally use them tactically (to help taking a city) if the political alignments are compatible.

Comment

doesn't the loading for each nuke get pretty annoying?
                            I use Posturepedic mattresses for a lifetime of temporary relief.

Comment

I rarely use nukes and usually just for fun after the outcome has been determined. I have only been in one situation where I felt they were necessary and it was simply lack of attention that got me there. I was involved in a particullarly nasty war with the Zulu and had to commit a large amount of resouces to break their attack and counter strike. During this time I let relationships with two other major powers slide. Suddenly I found myself at war with the three main powers and my forces deeply committed on foriegn soil. Tactical nuke against the invading stacks from Babylon and France brunted the force of their invasions while causing me to have 4 cities laid waste in return. This did allow me time to reposition and stabilize the front. The fact that the Zulu had been broken allowed me to negotiate a peace after a few turns and then the other front proceeded normally with no further use of nukes.
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
                              X