No announcement yet.

Who uses nukes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I have read some of these responses and while they do seem rather well thought out I must disagree. I am playing on a "Real World Map" I am the USA and I am one of about four Superpowers, I am between third and second on Power. Well there was a World war and do you want to know what happened. They weakest Superpower and the strongest allied against me and another. We wasted the strong one and bombed him conventionally into submission. Only problem was this, by the time he was beaten down sufficently neither of us could take the cities without many losses. So my allie begins nuking the **** out of them, literally. The comp used its full arsenal of around 23 ICBM's. And I am only at the second lvl of difficulty. I also did not mention that the other 10 smaller weaker civs that had nukes used theirs as well.

Comment

Nukes are Useful in limited situations:

Nukes should be saved for particularly tough targets such as a capital building a Spaceship in a close race or a powerful SOD where it would take too many units to wipe out conventionally. The most use I have for nukes is to hit the capital with just one nuke and then wait one turn and nuke it again, wiping out much of its work force (especially useful in a war of attrition in which you want to deny resources, cut supply lines, and administer a slow but crippling blow to the AI. )
      * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
      * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
      * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
      * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Does the AI do diplomacy different when you own nukes?
        Visit First Cultural Industries
        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I think if you use a nuke every civ not already at war with the victim will declare war on you.

I rarely use them. They aren't effective enough IMO. In real life if you're in a world war nukes would be necessary, but in civ3 most people don't bother building them.

I don't like them because I hate seeing one of my core cities get annihilated. It is too painful. Especially when you're America and your former hometown (Seattle) gets nuked. Nukes aren't cost effective either. They are good for winning the SS race and for a few other small purposes.
          "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Is there any way to tweak the game, so that AI civilizations are more likely to use nukes? It would be fun to get some MAD in Civ.

Comment

hi ,

yes , they are great to stop fleets

or to mold the land a bit , ...... mountains become hills and thus provide one food after clean up , .......

have a nice day
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                I've always been disappointed in that the AI will never use nukes against me. I have never needed to use nukes, but they do have their uses, such as breaking the will of a heavily fortified city. 95% of the time that I use nukes, it is out of boredom.
                I always have them used against me, and I'm even painstakingly careful not to raze or break treaties. But it doesn't usually happen until very near the end of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Bomber
                  Nukes are Useful in limited situations:

Nukes should be saved for particularly tough targets such as a capital building a Spaceship in a close race or a powerful SOD where it would take too many units to wipe out conventionally. The most use I have for nukes is to hit the capital with just one nuke and then wait one turn and nuke it again, wiping out much of its work force (especially useful in a war of attrition in which you want to deny resources, cut supply lines, and administer a slow but crippling blow to the AI. )
                  Hrm, to this day I've still never tried the Space Race victory option. I hated it Civ1, but maybe I give it a shot. Then maybe I'd have a use for all the nukes I build.

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                    I've always been disappointed in that the AI will never use nukes against me. I have never needed to use nukes, but they do have their uses, such as breaking the will of a heavily fortified city. 95% of the time that I use nukes, it is out of boredom.
                    The AI has nuked me preemptively. India and I were carving up a civ using conventional weapons (I can not remember which civ we were fighting - Iroquois maybe) and it dropped a nuke on one of my newly captured cities.
                    "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Originally posted by panag
                      or to mold the land a bit , ...... mountains become hills and thus provide one food after clean up , .......
                      Really ? Hmm...time to colonize this small mountain-only island after all
                      "An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind" - Gandhi

Comment

I usually build up a significant nuclear arsenal as soon as I have the ability to. Will the AI act differently toward you, depending on your own amount of nuclear weapons, and theirs? For example, if I only have 4 nukes, and Civilization X has 20, will they be more arrogant, or more willing to use unconventional weapons against me?

Comment

Originally posted by Menlas

Really ? Hmm...time to colonize this small mountain-only island after all
                          hi ,

yep , give it a try , start on a huge map with 25 icbms or so and a couple tacticals to test it

have a nice day
                          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

What if you fire off a nuke that hits an area that nobody has borders going over? For example if there's a small island made completely of mountains (no cities could be on it) without cultural borders going over it and you nuke it, will it hurt your rep or anything?

Also, what happens when you nuke your own city? I've never tried it, and I can't try it right now because I don't have any modern or industrial saves right now (just cleaned out the folder). Also, I have never tried this before but am I correct in assuming that when you choose to nuke a city owned by another civ you're at peace with it makes you declare war on them?
                            "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Originally posted by johncmcleod

Also, what happens when you nuke your own city?
                              You cannot nuke your own city. Or can you?

Comment

Working...
                              X