No announcement yet.

New Eight Civs analysis: just the facts ma'am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Vanilla Civ 3, the max was 31+ Barbs; the game came with 16 + Barbs. All PtW did was add 8 more civs.

The question is did they add the ability to play more than 31+ Barbs, or allow 32 with no Barbs? Other possibilities could include: having 32 civs, but a max of 31+ Barbs in any game; PtW and C3C civs are not playable together, etc.

Comment

Kring, I think you were wrong.

I thought you had to replace civs (In a PTW chat they said they managed to increase the civ number to 31 max)
      Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

IIRC, there was a problem in the early versions of Civ3 : the game was coded to host max. 31 civs + Barbs, but all colors past the 17th were buggy (i.e, your game would have bugged if you modded a Civ's colour to take a colour from the bottom of the list)
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Can we be absolutely sure that the Hittites will be a regular game civ, anyhow? I mean, we know that there's going to be a scenario covering the Mesopotamian area. Couldn't the Hittites be a civ only for that scenario? I mean, since now we can do leaderheads, it's possible they'll do them for their scenarios, too...
          "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
          "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Originally posted by Stefu
            Can we be absolutely sure that the Hittites will be a regular game civ, anyhow? I mean, we know that there's going to be a scenario covering the Mesopotamian area. Couldn't the Hittites be a civ only for that scenario? I mean, since now we can do leaderheads, it's possible they'll do them for their scenarios, too...
            Good grief! The ancient middle east is going to be filled with third raters in Conquests if these aren't only scenario civs. Then again, if your going to pay for the art - why pay to make scenario-only civs?

Are there even enough city names to support all these ancient guys? How many civs are going to end up with a city named 'Ur' now?
            - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
            - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
            - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

I'd have to agree. Sumeria is pushing it with Babylon around. I'd never have thought it possible to make two distinct civ lists for them, since they are just the same bunch, really. The Hittites don't deserve a place in civilization (I'd say the same for the Mongols if I didn't secretly like the Keshik...whoops!), and I think they were the worst choice yet.

Stefu, no, I'm sure they aren't just for the scenario. Why go through all the trouble of making a leaderhead (and a very fine leaderhead it is too, despite the Ishtar Gate in the background) for a civ that only goes into a scenario that some players won't spend more than a few minutes glancing at?
              Empire growing,
              Pleasures flowing,
              Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

Maybe Civil war is possible in Conquests?

AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
                Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
                Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

Interesting point Stefu, I never really thought about that. What you say is possible, if, and only if, they got the pictures switched. Otherwise the Hittitie leader shown is clearly in middle-age attire, implying that they are not a scenario-only civ.
                  http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sid Meier's Civilization® III: Conquests is the 2nd exciting expansion pack to Sid Meier's Civilization® III, the greatest strategy game of all-time!

Sid Meier's Civilization® III: Conquests takes players on a provocative journey through the ages as they pursue victory in the most famous conquests in history.

What does Civ® Conquests give to fans of the award-winning series? Simply put - more Civ: More to Build, More to Fight, More to Rule!

Civ fans will discover intriguing new civilizations, units, wonders, technologies, and abilities to help them triumph in eight professionally designed conquests throughout history. Compete as one of the eight new Civilizations, each with its own powerful leader, unique units and special abilities, and lead your nation to its destiny. New victory conditions, Wonders of the World, terrain elements, resources, city improvements, and governments offer endless variation in your quest to rule the world. Improved multiplayer and play-by-email support, intense diplomatic situations, and a slew of editor enhancements, round out what Time Magazine calls "the greatest computer strategy game of all time."

Do you have what it takes to lead a civilization to greatness? Or, will your nation be conquered by some greater power? You decide.

Take over the World - One Conquest at a time!

Eight professionally designed adventures challenge you to recreate the great conquests of history. Battle for control of Mesopotamia in the Cradle of Civilization, or for the rich and vast resources in the Americas. Then, embark on a campaign through time as you attempt to conquer some of the most powerful civilizations ever and earn a place among the greatest leaders in history!

GAME FEATURES

New Civilizations: Eight new powerful civilizations from the innovative Sumerians to the mystical Mayans.
                    New Units: Use Trebuchets to batter down the enemy's walls or Sumerian Enkidu Warriors to quickly gain military dominance.
                    Disasters: Beware the volcanoes, or Pompeii could become your reality.
                    Diplomacy Options: Locked alliances allow good vs. evil conflicts you'll never forget.
                    Map Features: Bombard the enemy and leave behind craters.
                    Resources: Fight for control over Tobacco, Jade, and Exotic Birds.
                    Wonders: Build the statue of Zeus to make your troops powerful.
                    Governments: Forming an Islamic Sultanate is just one of the new ways to rule your people.
                    ...And much, much, more!
                    Civilization® III: Conquests requires the original Civilization® III product in order to play.

hi ,

, maybe they have put the barbs in a special coded corner and they dont count as a "civ" anymore , .....

have a nice day
                    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

All this artwork must have taken much time and money. IIRC, It's because of artwork reasons that there were less playable civs in vanilla Civ3 than in vanilla Civ2.

I'm 99% positive Firaxis will sell the Hittites as one of the 8 Civs of the pack, because it would really not be profitable to do such a hard work for a mere small portion of the product.
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Louis XXIV
                        Kring, I think you were wrong.

I thought you had to replace civs (In a PTW chat they said they managed to increase the civ number to 31 max)
                        http://www.bclay.com/civ3maps/tutorials/AddingCivs.asp , this tutorial was designed for vanilla Civ 3, 1.29f patch. In the early game, the ability to add new civs (the add button) was hidden, but some people stumbled over how to do so. The add button was subsequently put in a patch.

This is from the the 1.29f Patch Readme:

* Editor: Enabled Add/Delete buttons for Civilizations. Note that there is a maximum of 32 Civilizations.

Comment

"THE DUTCH SHOULD HAVE THE SLOOP or possibly FLUYT AS THEIR UU, A FASTER MORE ABLE CARAQVEL"

caravel? come on...

the the Man-o-War is an all but useless unit, i wouldnt want to see another sailing UU
                          I use Posturepedic mattresses for a lifetime of temporary relief.

Comment

Incans are definitely in; one screenie is the incan scout. Is the Gilgamesh leaderhead for Sumeria, or a different civ?

Comment

Gilgamesh is Sumerian, the Sumerian UU is the funny looking Endiku warrior

The other leaderhead besides Gilgamesh is Mursilis of the Hittites
                              Also, there is a Mayan Javelineer
                              Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X