No announcement yet.

Area 25 : Tech Plans - Project lain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently we lose 15 gold pieces per turn to corruption.
    Even if Republic governments were immune to corruption we'd still be losing money.
    The greatest advantage of Republic is the fact that you receive an additional commerce point for each tile already producing at least one but I'm afraid our production is not large enough to justify switching to Republic yet. Digging more roads and settling near tiles with gold will do the trick.
    "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
    And the truth isn't what you want to see,
    Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
    - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

The corruption levels of Monarchy and Republic are nearly identical.

Republic has the benefit, that it produces one more gold, where already at least one is produced. That doubles the income at most. More likely, it will be increased by approximately 80%, because probably not all citizens work on an improved tile and thus, get no bonus.

Republic has the disadvantage, that it has no martial law. That causes a severe happiness penalty. 20 or 30% happiness spendings might compensate this, but would take away a tad bit of the coins gained by increased commerce. The worst thing about Republic is, that it does not support free units. The military (and worker!) upkeep would kill us hands down.

Republic will be a good choice, once we have 3 luxuries connected, and marketplaces in our key cities. A FP would be nice, too. But as I see the whines and complaints in some of these threads, this is probably far away.

Comment

Given the current state of affairs, the best short-term policy is indeed one which attempts to acquire technologies from outside sources.

That said, however, the fact remains that our government is a despotic one - and everyone is well aware of the significant deficiencies of this approach to government where it concerns scientific research. The only way we might outpace our neighbors in this area - and this issue is a most important one - is by implementing a new government form, one friendlier to scientific research.

The current status quo is going to leave us well behind the rest of the world. We need four static policy agendas to reverse this trend. First, we lack infrastructure - we must find a way to balance military needs with the need to construct libraries and universities. Second, we lack a science-friendly government - this, of course, may only be remedied through further research. Third, we lack the neccessary funding, and fourth, and the largest difficulty to overcome, we lack country-side infrastructure to support the cities. We might want to consider re-organizing our workers into a single solid group, which can focus on one city at a time...

Nevertheless, if we do not do something soon, we may find ourselves trying to play catch-up with the rest of the world...

--
        GPB

Comment

I've eliminated another possibility.

I refuse to research Republic immediately after Feudalism unless something freakish and unexpected happens. If you want to support a government tech, it must be Monarchy. I like The Republic, but it would just suck right now.
          "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
          "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
          "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
          "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

How would you feel about this compromise?

Switch to Protocol Eiri, but keep a large offensive force.

This should provide enough protection and help us develop ourselves in the long term. I am just worried that if we go for gunpowder, we will fall further behind domestically. I am also afraid that we might ignore an offensive force if we just rush to Democracy. If you all like this proposal and City Planning supports the upkeep of a good offensive force, I will definantly go for it.
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Shiber
              We've made the calculations already.
              Republic means no free support. No free support means we have to pay one gold per turn for each military unit. This means -41 gold per turn!!
              Panag, the answer is strictly no. We will not switch to Republic at this stage. This has been discussed many times before and I don't think it needs repeating.
              hi ,

well , we get extra money , less corruption , etc , ...

in the end the people should decide !

have a nice day
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Surely switching to Monarchy has to be a priority after Feudalism. We can up the science rate, decrease corruption, and start irrigating grassland for greater pop growth. Also, since it costs a disproportionate amount to buy governments, we should research Monarchy instead of buying it, and then trade/buy other techs.

If you're against Monarchy, then I like the Democracy rush better than Chivalry - the infrastructure advances we get on the way will be helpful. I say we fight no more offensive wars (except maybe against the Americans) until we discover the tank - keep military units to 2 per city if poss, and BUILD! Up the DIA!

Comment

Originally posted by panag
                  well , we get extra money , less corruption , etc , ...

in the end the people should decide !

have a nice day
                  We only lose 16 to corruption right now. The difference would not be made up.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse

We only lose 16 to corruption right now. The difference would not be made up.
                    hi ,

it would if we grow a bit in our cities , ...

have a nice day
                    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Then we can switch to republic at that time. We won't have our cities built up for a long while though so Republic is not a priority.

Comment

Working...
                      X