Election: President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by notyoueither
    Yes RB, but the vote being tied (or nearly so) for 3 days is not explained by 1 or 2 impish citizens. I grant most of my fellow citizens as being more responsible than that.

No, what it looks like to me is that someone(s) other than one of our citizens has/have been mucking with our electoral process.

I can not think of any other more probable explanation.
    Agreed. Maybe I wasn't clear: something fishy has messed up this election, I think so too. I think Trip and Ninot are justified in following the spirit if not the letter of the vote.
    (Maybe it's worth putting their solution up for a vote in the form of a poll.)
    I just feel wary about justifying the tabling of the "official results" by saying that an (undetermined) number of votes came from outsiders who were not "well informed."
    I guess our problem lies in the fact that anyone passing by the forum (as Trip put it) is welcome to join, become a citizen, and vote on an equal basis with everyone else participating in the game .... And I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable limiting that access.
    aka, Unique Unit
    Wielder of Weapons of Mass Distraction

Comment

• This is a bad thing. We must have only one president. Otherwise it's undemocratic.

Comment

• Perhaps someone should create a poll, "Should we have two Presidents?"

Comment

• Hmmmm. This is a dilly of a pickle. I don't have a problem with a duel presidency, but would much perfer a single president. In order to speed things along however (in other words, not have a re-poll), I just think we should cooperate with their decison for now, and by next election have a Supreme Court that could valify or nulify decisions like these based on their legitamacy- so this doesn't become a precedent like many fear.

I think this is a good comprimise to this problem, but I think this problem should definately stay open to debate until this poll officially closes.

Kman

P.S. UberKrux!, THEY let you have that avater. Thats awesome! That has gotta be the best one I've ever seen. It has definately given me some ideas for when I can customize mine .
          "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
          - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
          Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by Edrix
            Perhaps someone should create a poll, "Should we have two Presidents?"
            If there was any foulplay on this poll, what would make you think there will not any foul play on that poll. For all we know Trip and Ninot could be conspiring against us!

Kman
            Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by Kramerman
              P.S. UberKrux!, THEY let you have that avater. Thats awesome! That has gotta be the best one I've ever seen. It has definately given me some ideas for when I can customize mine .
              i havent gotten yelled at... yet. we'll see what happens
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

• This may sound like nitpicking but the constitution is quite clear in that it only uses the singular when referring to an office.
                Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

• I suspect this has been mentioned before, but could we see how the vote was distributed for the 76 people who voted in last weeks census. If it was blatantly one way or the other(something I doubt), we could declare an official winner based on that, and the other "copresident ", could be an aide legally.
                  Aggie
                  The 5th President, 2nd SMC and 8th VP in the Civ3 Demogame. Also proud member of the GOW team in the PTW game. Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kramerman
                    Hmmmm. This is a dilly of a pickle. I don't have a problem with a duel presidency, but would much perfer a single president. In order to speed things along however (in other words, not have a re-poll), I just think we should cooperate with their decison for now, and by next election have a Supreme Court that could valify or nulify decisions like these based on their legitamacy- so this doesn't become a precedent like many fear.

I think this is a good comprimise to this problem, but I think this problem should definately stay open to debate until this poll officially closes.

Kman
                    After several minutes of deep, ponderous thought, I have come to the conclusion that I agree with myself. I also wanted to get my idea off the bottom of the freakin page and out and visable so everybody can see it.

I would just like to add:
                    For all those who feel we are disrupting the democratic process, had the difference in the candidates votes had been a dozen, 8, or even as few as 5, that may well be the case. However, disregarding the fact that this election may very well have been tampered with, these very narrow margin between each of our TWO candidates shows that Apolytonia is almost evenly divided on these two possible leaders. Unless foul play can be disreputed, I think that the candidates should have there duel-presidency, it would probably be a good thing considering how capable both these candidates are for the job. Again, the compromise will be that this shall never happen again, under the protection of a judicial court system.

Comment

• Yes, but the constitution is silent on scrutinizing elections. In fact, it is not possible as things stand.

What is clear is that we really need to reform our methods for elections and constitutional decisions. Very soon.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• i havent gotten yelled at... yet. we'll see what happens

I am praying that they say nothing. Because if they do nothing against you, they can do nothing against me... when the time comes, hehehe.

EDIT: whos Zylka? The chick with her legs spread?

Comment

• Zylka: an OT Poster.

NYE:
                          True, thankfully were going to have a court soon. I also dislike this decision as it calls into question all future polls. I don't think it was DLs who kept the vote close but non active members who thought it was funny. Which will happen in any poll, and thier votes can't be discounted.
                          Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

• Suggestion on how to do future elections:

Voter registration. The week before the elections we have a thread for registering to vote, if one of our citizens wants to vote he signs up for it in the thread (much like a census, in fact this could be dual purpose for those) I would propose though that people keep their registration automatically until they fail to vote in an election just to avoid people not being able to vote cause they were out of town during registrations.

Then when the election threads are made they'd look something like this:

Election for President: Ninot vs Trip

Registered voters:
                            Voter Vote
                            ---------------------------
                            Trip Trip
                            Ninot Ninot
                            Uberkrux Not voted yet
                            Timeline Ninot

Wervdon Ninot (sorry trip )
                            ----------------------------
                            Total Trip: 65
                            Total Ninot: 65

Then people who wanted to vote could just login and cast there vote in the first line of their post:

Vote: Ninot
                            Whatever reason you want, just so your vote is clear at the top.

Then our election worker just has to tally the votes and edit the original post with the list of registered voters. That way we don't have to worry too much about fraud Though I suspose you could make double logins and register to vote :P

The only disadvantage I see to that (other than a bit more work and a need for a Election commision post) is the loss of anonymous ballots, but most of us don't mind posting who we voted for anyways.

Id suggest that other non-election polls be kept to simple anonymous polls, but in the case of a rare close one we could add to option to call for a roll-call vote of this type (giving the election commision something to do between elections too occasionally)

In any case, I think we should consider it if we aren't going to trust the results of anonymous polls because of the chance of someone fudging them with double logins. Or worry about the odd apolyton surfer (but not active in the democracy game) coming along and voting.

And incidently, I probally missed that census thread that someone mentioned last week. It took me a while to even catch the sign ups There's so much spam on this forum that its a tad difficult to keep up with whats going on in the actual game much less the less important threads.

Comment

• Oh and as for "sharing" the presidency. I dont think we should do that. Whoever wins the poll (since thats the current election standards) should be _the_ president.

However, there is nothing to stop the winner from naming who he wants as his "adivisors" or such. Afterall George Washington made his own cabinet (which we still use) without it being expressely in the constitution.

Comment

• problem with that is it isnt confidential.. i know I value my privacy, dunno bout you.
                                Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Working...
                                X