Why Are There Less Civs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Are There Less Civs??

It seems the number of Civs has shrunk from Civ 2...I was expecting kinda the opposite...especially losing my beloved Mongolian hordes...

I WILL pay for an expansion pack with Genghis, Tokugawa, and company though!!! (animated advisors or just a download on the site paid by credit card) Pretty pretty please??
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

There are less now because of the unique civs and units. It would have been quite a bit more work (and longer wait for us) if they did 21 unique civs.

Comment

Due to storage limit, what would you prefer, 21 civs with none-changing leaders through time, or 16 with pictures of each leader in each time era?

I think this is more fun and better.

Comment

A way of seeing it is that in the previous civ games we only had one civ while we now get 16.
        It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Uncle Funk: I think you're forgetting about the unique units, city art, and civ abilities. When all of this is taken into account, it takes a bit more than just a couple of crusty, old leader animations

Comment

I intended that too. In one sentence: Quality instead of quantity.

Comment

I hope there is an expansion (on CD, sold in real stores) which doubles the number of civs. We need Vikings, Mayans, Mound Builders, Incas, Anasazi, Olmecs, Hawaiians, Arabs, Hebrews, Inuit, Atlanteans, Hmong, Australian Aborigines, Maori, Mongols, and Spanish.

Comment

Yeah, hopefully it will come soon after the launch. Making your own custom Viking civ with the leader portrait drawn in Paintbrush ain't really the same thing.

Hey, Eskimoes would make a hilarious civ. Just imagine their igloo-like city style.
                Last edited by Juggernaut; August 10, 2001, 15:53.

Comment

That would be Inuit Uncle Funk!!

EDIT: Anyway, I do agree with the fact that quality is better than quantity... But 16 is really very little, I think.
                  It´s just another way of milking their civ fans by getting them to buy another $30 add-on.
                  Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Wille
                      A way of seeing it is that in the previous civ games we only had one civ while we now get 16.
                      Perfectly said. In Civ2, all of the civs were the same...all stupid. While I doubt that each of those 16 civs are unique, I certainly will not be playing with that many at one time. I think I can find 7 civs that would require a different strategy/tactics to deal with.

Comment

We will have to destroy a civ to make a new one(like in SMAC) and this is a big design flaw.

And that whole quality over quantity actually means : graphics quality over gameplay!
                        (The "quality over quantity" nonsense is in fact an original way of the rp department to hide that they choosed graphics above gameplay)

Instead of more differnt civs/personalities to have as enemies get we some stupid leader animations and extra leader graphics that are fun the first week you play it but are useless afther that.

Please firaxis do NOT choose graphics quality above gameplay!

I would rather been able to play choose from 32 civs then some leader animations.

There is also another explanation for "quality over quantity" : "expansion pack over current game". If they don't include many civs at first can they get money from an expansion pack.

It looks like the rp departemnt of civ3 is better then we thought. So to all the firaxis personel that is posting on anominous names to let us believe that the majority of the posters are blind optimists: congratulations with your pr department !

Comment

Well hopefully the leader pictures can easily be replaced with common format pictures by the user (.gf, jpg, etc)

GENGHIS SHALL RETURN!!

(Civ I reference)
                          "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                          "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                          "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

We will have to destroy a civ to make a new one(like in SMAC) and this is a big design flaw.
                            So you have tested the new editor? Was it cool?

Comment

aw, come ON kolpo.

GIVE THEM A %@^# BREAK once i a while. at LEAST play the GAME before you start judging them on the gameplay and such issues, especially on such a fine point...

maybe you would rather have more civs to choose from, but then look at the other trove of people on the other side who are yelling at firaxis for not having good enough graphics. They have a lot to deal with, and so far i commend firaxis on their ability to balance the two groups.
                              And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Working...
                              X