No announcement yet.

AU 602: Team Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmm... my thinking is to keep player order fixed for the best comparisons, but I'm open. Thoughts from the gallery?
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

• I'd prefer it tweaked for optimal playing times. It gets the games flowing quicker.

Comment

• Theseus, please switch the civs for BigDork and me around. (Me with France, BigDork with Scandanavia)

As for play order: The main thing is, if two partners are staging a coordinated attack, the ability to both attack simultaneously is big. (Think PTWDG with the Legoland team instead being an alliance comprised of two teams... if one of those teams had been between GS and GoW in the play order, you might have seen a different kind of endgame slugfest than what happened with there being no Legoland Team 2 in that slot.)

I'm not going to quit if order is optimized for speed, but I think it will give teams that are bunched together an advantage.

Comment

• I'm with Kloreep that the mixed teams presents a better overall scenario.
          One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

• Originally posted by Lord Nuclear
            One of the main principals of the AU is to compare the games, and try to see what others did that you could have done better. Having two maps limits that, and creates an extra load of work.
            A *huge* extra load of work! That's why I wrote "painful." My thought was that the LA games would still be easily compared with each other, and FFA games (if more than one) with each other as well, solely to permit some folks to play both styles. Almost certainly not worth the hassle on the setup side!
            "...your Caravel has killed a Spanish Man-o-War."

Comment

• When it comes to play order, I dont think there is anything wrong with the current fixed lineup, however I also wouldnt mind teams being backed together... but I wouldnt know the Pros and Cons of such a lineup.

But whatever the play order is, I dont mind I just want the play to start!

Comment

• I think we are going to stick with a fixed order... to difficult to set-up otherwise, and certainly simpler from a comparison perspective.
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

• Let's start!
                  And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

• Start it already then. I want the unique chance of getting run over by Aeson with a spear and 3 warriors
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Theseus, is there already enough people
                      to complete the LA 5?

Comment

• Nope, we need two more.

Comment

• For the FFA game (if not for others), it's simple to just post the scenario file instead of the 'save' ... then the order can be tweaked by whomever starts the game (the first player, or some alternate person like Theseus). I strongly suggest tweaking it, however, especially for the FFA game but also for the regular; otherwise it won't finish in time. Look at games that are untweaked or poorly tweaked (can anyone say, "Team Game", Aqua? ) play sooooo much slower, 4-5 days between turns even on decent play schedules by each player, compared to 1 turn/day on a good turn rotation ...

IE, the advantage (fast turn play) far outweighs the disadvantages (harder to set up, which it isn't really; and what's the comparison difficulty?). I don't think mosf of the games will finish if they're not order-tweaked (given civ4 coming up)...
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369
                            For the FFA game (if not for others), it's simple to just post the scenario file instead of the 'save' ... then the order can be tweaked by whomever starts the game (the first player, or some alternate person like Theseus). I strongly suggest tweaking it, however, especially for the FFA game but also for the regular; otherwise it won't finish in time. Look at games that are untweaked or poorly tweaked (can anyone say, "Team Game", Aqua? ) play sooooo much slower, 4-5 days between turns even on decent play schedules by each player, compared to 1 turn/day on a good turn rotation ...

IE, the advantage (fast turn play) far outweighs the disadvantages (harder to set up, which it isn't really; and what's the comparison difficulty?). I don't think mosf of the games will finish if they're not order-tweaked (given civ4 coming up)...
                            OK, I'm not sure how that works exactly, but it sounds reasonable. Could the FFA players please indicate their best time slots so we can work out a schedule? I think the LA players are going to have to live with fixed order.

(Now if only Sir Ralph *or* BFM would respond about getting the map done! )

Comment

• If we post it as a scenario file, anybody will be able to view the whole map. Not that I'm worried that much about cheaters, but just setting up the Iron Civer Scenario Tests, it was hard to work with the set-up screen and not see the map. We'd need a third person to do the set up.

Also, won't the start assignments be random using a scenario? If the tribes are starting in different locations, there isn't much point to using the same map and comparing *ARs.

BTW- I wouldn't mind switching tribes to get a better order, as long as I can veto two of them...
                              Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

• I agree with snoopy. The Team PBEM is hopelessly bogged down, probably due to poor selection of play order. My other team game however has progressed reasonably well, as we tried to keep to the usual east to west flow.
                                So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
                                Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Working...
                                X