• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gits' Hut and Special Finder v1.3

The latest (possibly last) version - enjoy and have a good Christmas

SG[1]
    Attached Files
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Thanks SG!!

Or should I say Santa, as you just brought me my first Christmas gift??

PS: what, 6th to download and 1st to thank? I thought the Poly crowd was more polite...
    Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
    Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
    POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
    LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

I ran a quick test, and am baffled by the save file, which I was nagged into creating. I put in the coordinates (10,14) and the save file consists of the single line:
      10 14 0
      A second run with coordinates (20,20) resulted in a single line of:
      20 20 0
      I guess I expected a list of hut and special locations in the save file...

Further clarification request: I turned on "show both" under options, and the explanation of the notation is still describing the "trade distance" option.

Comment

Dave - yes the notation tag has not been updated - so i will need another release
        the save file stores the stuff you have entered - the first hut co-ords and any huts that you have popped or found to be at sea so that when you restart a game you do not have to start striking things out or remember just which city was an advanced tribe

SG[1]

Comment

thanks SG...even though its a curse in disguise
          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Warz - I agree with you - since I wrote the damn thing it has completely changed my approach to the game - probably for the worse

SG[1]

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
              Warz - I agree with you - since I wrote the damn thing it has completely changed my approach to the game - probably for the worse

SG[1]
              Care to explain in more detail?? Presume you mean that the intuitive side and thrill of exploration is diminished....

Still, it is a great piece of work.

Best feature--for me--identifies hidden special locations.
              so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

18 d/ls and 4 posts,

SG[1]

Comment

Sorry, am one of the 18 that didn't post (yet). Had a quick look, seems cool........didn't see any obvious bugs.

Comment

i used it in an mp game with 4 players and its dead spot on, regarless of map size, land mass ect......

i do have a question, i know about the special patterns and i know about their correlation to huts, but how does it guarrrantee that the hidden special will come in to play.

as far as this program goes....its genius....but a bit late don't you think

Comment

Warz - I don't understand your question - a hidden special will only 'come into play' once the square is transformed somehow (normally by mining).

Thanks for the complement, but it's not particularly clever code - samson did all the real work.

SG[1]

Comment

sorry let me rephrase....Bloody Monk was stating that it defines where the hidden specials are? i am somewhat confused, but perhaps my confusion with his statement has somehow confused you with mine too confusing.

i know you need to mine, but how does the hut finder guarrantee that the special is going to be there ? if in fact that is what BM is claiming??

Comment

Originally posted by War4ever
                          sorry let me rephrase....Bloody Monk was stating that it defines where the hidden specials are? i am somewhat confused, but perhaps my confusion with his statement has somehow confused you with mine too confusing.

i know you need to mine, but how does the hut finder guarrantee that the special is going to be there ? if in fact that is what BM is claiming??
                          SG[1] can answer better, but it is deep night there now, so let me see if I can help.

Check it out this way.

1) Observe the specials pattern and locate a tile that "should" have a special but it's grass. Say it's a 2-4-2 pattern and the 3rd of 4 is missing. Note the coordinates of that tile.

2) If you have not already entered X/Y for huts, follow the procedure to generate a list of hut locations.

3) Open the "Specials" tab. At the bottom enter the X/Y from 1) above for your suspected hidden special. If it is 'one' it will be first on the list.

That is what I meant by "identifies hidden special locations." It identifies ALL special locations on the map. Even the "would have been" ones way out to sea. So if you have a tile that is on the list, even though it isn't a visible special, "mine it and it will come." (with apoligies to "Field of Dreams")

Check out the area around Not a Canal--82/34 and 72/34

Hope this helps. SG[1] has made a very cool tool, I think.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Warz,

Hope you have MPGE to open the attachment as a picture is worth a whole lot of words. Wish I knew how to make it a visible image in the post.

In any case, you can play with any .sav and see what I meant.

Monk

Comment

ok BM i will check it out when i get home tonite....i am a big MPer so i have mge......

i always new about the hidden special possibility, but if i can guarrantee its there then obviously i will mine it....nothing worse than spending 10-15 turns , not sure how many it takes with just one set to mine a square that only produces a forest....this should eliminate that not entirely

i was not aware of the special feature in the program....really onlly used it to test the huts.....

good to know :b

Comment

Working...
                              X