Hoovers damned and power question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoovers damned and power question.

In a recent game, playing on a large world with archaepelagos, I grew what was essentially a bi-contenential civilization on two small continents. I built the lighthouse early, and hence my triremes carrying settlers for colonization crossed the oceans without the fear of sinking. It was nifty to have that flexibility, as I would have been a pain to destroy b/c I was on two large landmasses.

Anyhow, as such, centuries later, I built the Hoovers Dam wonder, which I understand provides hydro power to every city on the continent. Not only did it provide power for continent A, but also it provided juice for all of my cities, as the computer didn't permit me to build any other sorts of power sources -- hydro, nuke, or regular power -- aside from solar. My question is, then, why did this happen across my civilization? Is there a bug in Hoovers (and possibly J.S. Bach's as well) that spreads their benefits to every city, not just a single continent? Why couldn't I build other power plants? Was I "locked in" to hydro after Hoovers?

Any responses and insights appreciated.

its not a bug but a manual misprint.Hoover's and JSB work in every city regardless of it's location.

You don't need more than 1 power plant per city so if you have hydros in all of them you cant build power plants.You will however,be able to build solar plants in really bad polluter cities when they become available(Enviromentalism)

All types of power plants produce the same amount of sheilds.Where they differ is the amount of pollution they produce.As you discover new cleaner power sources you have the option to update.
    [This message has been edited by Smash (edited May 02, 2000).]
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Yeah. The whole 'every city on continent' thing is bogus. It's every city in your empire.

Comment

I've never looked at the manual about Wonders, but I'm fairly sure that when I build Hoover's dam, the announcement on the movie says it provides power to every city on every continent.

Which brings into mind an annoying mistake on my part; I fail to sell off all existing power stations at that time.

Did I claim to be an expert at this game?

Jim W

Comment

actually it is a civlopedia error
          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Related question.

When can you build a hydro plant in your city? I've had cities next to ocean squares and still no option. Does it require river squares next to (or within) the city radius?

And yes, I had factories in'em...

Carolus

Comment

I think you need either a mountain or a river in one of the eight immediately surrounding squares (or perhaps in the city square itself). I would welcome confirmation of this - anyone?

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I think you're right Scouse, when i was playing occ8 i was at the south location. I had a couple of river squares, i was next to the ocean, i had a mountain and some hills and my city was on grassland and i couldn't build a hydro plant!! so i assume it might need a river/mountain on the city square!!

Could it be as complicated as needing to have a river on a hill or mountain in the city radius? - just a thought??
                "There are not more than 5 musical notes..." - Sun Tzu
                ...and we build an Academy for this guy... :confused:

Comment

oldman:
                  You know you need a factory in order to build a hydro plant? I forgot that on more than one OCCation: hydro never shows up, even with mountain or river in area, so I build Hoover instead. But of course, if I only had built factory first, I would have got hydro option next round.

C.

Comment

With a factory in the cties on or beside rivers makes hydros available if I remember right.
                    The journey itself is the thing~Odysseus

Comment

I thought i'd like to get this cleared up in my mind!!!!

I've just played occ fortnight 5, island civ, no rivers or mountains!! I had researched electronics (hover was available!!) but no hydro plant!!! and i most definetly had a factory, so i'm guessing it has to be a river thing?!?!

Do any of you have any ideas, or recollection of old games you've played where you've built a hydro plant?!?!
                      "There are not more than 5 musical notes..." - Sun Tzu
                      ...and we build an Academy for this guy... :confused:

Comment

the civlopedia says hydros can be built where running water exists.

This must be mountains and/or rivers in the radius.I think you need both.

I don't know if whether one or the other is directly adjacent to your city matters.I kinda think so.

Comment

The nice thing about hoover's is that you get a hydro plant EVERYWHERE. Without it, you need a mountain or a river adjacent to the city center square, not just within the radius. The build menu will not give you the hydro plant option without this condition.

Comment

OK, just to get this straight.

A mountain square or a river square next to the city square is the necessary condition?

I've wondered about this one forever, thanks!

Carolus

Comment

What? a subject as simple as this this that no one knew the answer too instantly?

I didn't either, but really!
                              [This message has been edited by johnmcd (edited June 01, 2000).]
                              www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X