No announcement yet.

Do You Play Civ III ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats what i love about beeliners to republic....if you get screwed by techs....your really screwed.....but there is always the safety net of excuses to use after the fact for why you @ss was kicked
    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

I'm not on the computer at night regularly, and when I'm on, it's on a crap connection.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I liked it 1st 2-3 games. Then I got bored. It isn't even installed on my new machine.
        My life, my rules

Comment

agreed smart..mines not loaded either..glad i didn't play for it
          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

I had to come back to this thread, because of the game I'm playing.
            I've fought off attacks from several Civ's, some Civ's are history.
            Egypt has been way ahead of the pack, but 3 cities (size 12 and two 9's) overthrew their government and came to me.
            I just started laughing and had to quit playing, because I could hear War4 in my mind, just a cussing.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

The only thing it will take to make III excellent in MP is to make the starting Civs randomly generated, keeping all else as it is.
              Last thing I'll say.

Comment

I'll bite. I think if the game stays the same for MP as it is for SP then MP will have problems.

If players start close then archer (even perhaps warrior) rushes will be too effective. There are effectively no ZOC, and no way to defend against a stack of attackers, except to have a stack yourself. Units and settlers will be the only things built - remind you of any civ2 settings? In fact it is worse here than 2x2x king in civ2 because the only decision you will have to make is how many cities to build, with a relatively low number useful under the corruption structure, because the game will likely not survive till corruption reducing buildings are in place.

Also what about resources? If the rushing doesn't end the game because the players are too far apart then the player that starts with iron nearby will win. People will build a few cities, perhaps barracks, then churn warriors to upgrade to swordsmen. They wont need tech after iron working (maybe the wheel and horsies) so they'll have plenty of cash for upgrades.

Markus calls 2x2x king RTS civ, which is, I think, a fair analogy. Civ3 MP will be more like RTS than 2x2x king ever was. I do think they will change the resource setup to give fair access to resources, so they don't decide the game, but at best the game will be a game of rush and counter rush, not civ. Many will prefer this, hey, a lot more people play RTS than TBS, but I think diehard civ2 MPers will be disappointed, even if Firaxis make the changes I outlined.

Comment

No Zone of Control ? I beg to differ.
                  Try building a city inside another's cultural zone, and see how long you keep the city, if the player is doing any culture at all.

The Iron part is a possibility. Ya never know though.
                  Ran-dom, ran-dom, ran-dom!

Comment

You actually think people will build temples and libraries, and survive for long enough for borders to expand? Flipping and culture will play no role in MP. Besides that wasn't what I meant by ZOC; I meant units exert no ZOC making attack easier. Attack is also made easy by being able to stack and by the new hit point system. The result is obvious, early rushes prevail and no infrastructure will be built........unless something changes for MP.

Comment

I want to play you when it becomes MP.

Comment

By all means

Seriously, I hope they will change the game enough to make MP fun. I think in the end it will be fun, but I don't see the gameplay unfolding the way you do. Still even if I am right it might work out........civ needs an injection of players, and making it more like RTS may help.

Comment

Until then Slow play some of the comparison games I am in and see how your strats fare.

Right now I am playing the early landing leader (deity) game from the CF tourney..........join!

Comment

No, I suck at 3 actually. I can't even decide which Civ I even like.

Comment

Then I'll forgive your backward views.

As for civs it depends...........for warlike games the militaristic trait and a good UU are most important, so Romans, Japanese, Zulu, Aztecs (and Iroquois for their UU alone) are the best here.

For a builder game Egyptians or Babylonians rock. Egyptians are particularly nice for deity builder games (hard), since you can chariot rush and settle down with some nice traits after grabbing some land.

Comment

Working...
                              X