No announcement yet.

Free Techs for the Host

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only alpha writing or literacy change the demos.

Comment

the advantage of free techs is huge. they don´t even attach the beaker count which means even with 5 free techs the host will only need 10 beakers for the next (=first researched) science. this advantage can be crucial, even later in the game when the other players made up with the host in science. the host will always need less beakers for the next tech. just for this reason restart is due, at least if the host has two or more free techs.

if you are fed up with restarting over and over again you can also load the game into the editor and wipe out the host tech. this is done in two minutes.
      justice is might

Comment

I agree with Slowwbaby.

I can't stand restarting and wasting time. It's the thin end of the wedge cos folks then start going on about starting locations, blah blah and you very quickly lose sight of the game.

I play from any start (NOT duels) and enjoy whatever the challenges or advantages are that I have. Most Aussies have gone down this path now because we are realistic fun loving beautiful people who can't stand whinging, whining, self-obsessed perfectionists who take it all too seriously and can't handle REAL challenges.

Too many claim greatness in games that they continue in because the conditions suit them yet they duck out of conditions that don't suit them; SO they are really not being seriously challenged - except in the brag sessions in these forums.

Thanks MNing, I feel much better now...
        "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
        *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
          Its not perfect and I'm not defending starting techs - I prefer restarts if time permits. But I have noticed that you only seem to get starting techs if your start point includes no land that generates trade. The more barren trade wise your land is, the more techs you get. I've had up to 4 - we've never played with the host having more than 1 tech.
          I don't know, I've hosted a LOT of games and there are times I've started on a river with trade specials and huts in sight and then look to see that I have 4 techs. (when checking the save later, I noticed that it must have been because another civ was close by)

And DD, when I don't host, I'll save every start when I'm playing with people I'm not familiar with, to check later to see if they were honest. You never know about SOME people.

Rich
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah

I don't know, I've hosted a LOT of games and there are times I've started on a river with trade specials and huts in sight and then look to see that I have 4 techs.
            Quite. There seems little correlation between actual quality of starts and techs. Besides, it is only the host that gets such consideration. Lets presume both players have equally bad starts and the AI correctly sees this. Only the host gets the leveller.

With just 1 free tech the beaker costs to a landmark tech like gunpowder are staggeringly different across players.

Comment

Yes, it's the gift that just keeps on giving.

Rich
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by oedo
                if you are fed up with restarting over and over again you can also load the game into the editor and wipe out the host tech. this is done in two minutes.
                Yeah... but the person that does the editing gets to see the full map... (and anybody that takes the opportunity during the wait and loads the game themselves does too)
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah. Unless I'm playing with a group that I really trust, I can't help but get a little suspicious when you reload a game early on. Or when someone drops and rejoins in the first 10 turns.
                  Yes, a little paranoid, but after reading a lot of threads here, justified.

RAH
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I guess if you're playing with DD or AH you don't really need to restart, it's not as if they're good enough to take advantage of the extra techs.

Comment

Comment

"I have given you all the plants and herbs in the world to use - God"

I wasn't aware anyone actually believed what the bible says?

Comment

That's your misfortune.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by EyesOfNight
                            I guess if you're playing with DD or AH you don't really need to restart, it's not as if they're good enough to take advantage of the extra techs.
                            *oh please God - make all my duel partners believe that*

Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

Yeah... but the person that does the editing gets to see the full map... (and anybody that takes the opportunity during the wait and loads the game themselves does too)
                              no you dont...

Besides you only get free tech nearly every game when you use retarded settings like AH. IE maps with no grassland squares. The host always gets a river to start and the other player is screwed.. And if the other players start is as good as the host the host gets 3 or 4 techs.
                              Join the army, travel to foreign countries, meet exotic people -
                              and kill them!

Comment

Originally posted by markusf

Besides you only get free tech nearly every game when you use retarded settings like AH. IE maps with no grassland squares. The host always gets a river to start and the other player is screwed.. And if the other players start is as good as the host the host gets 3 or 4 techs.
                                You're the world's greatest player - on settings of your own choosing

Markusf did the kind of map he prefers and it looked like the green fields of freaking Ireland

He ends up smack in the middle with rivers up the diddlee-o and I end up on a finger land with nothing

Physician heal thyself
                                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                                X