Free Techs for the Host

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Techs for the Host

While playing a game the other nite in which I was hosting, I got three free techs to start. Like usual, I told my opponent that I had some free techs, so he should back out of the game so we could do a restart. After waiting a minute... the other player finished his turn and it advanced to me. I then nicely reminded him that I had a few free techs and that we should restart. He then responded that he had never done that before. That in the games he had played in... the host was allowed that extra advantage.... HUH!!!!!!!! Now I can understand why some peole always want to host

So how do you guys handle free techs in your groups of friends. Obviously, since the group I play with usually uses Rah rules, we reset until the start is clean of free techs...
    Keep resetting until there aren't any
    68.75%
    Just play the game... the host is lucky
    6.25%
    Depends who I'm playing with
    12.50%
    Free Bananas isn't a science in Civ II
    12.50%
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

You have to reset; I'm sure everyone here does. It's not just the free techs, but the lower beaker costs compared with your opponent for future ones. It's a staggering advantage.

I have been lucky (on account of the time saved) lately, clean most of the time. The record number of restarts was in a 4 way where I hosted. I lost count, but suffice it to say it was so many that despite knowing the above 2 of the players said keep the techs! Fortunately the next start was clean.

Comment

Once again bucking conventional theory, I don't believe in "Host Advantage".
      IMO, it all evens out. I've had a Host restart when they had techs, but I was on a river with ivory, gold, and a whale all in my starting city squares.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Keep restarting. I agree. The other night we went through almost 10 restarts (I lost track)

I think sometimes one of the players sees that dream start, rivers, a couple of huts, a four special capital with trade specials, and figures he doesn't care if the host has a tech. Knowing on the next clean start he'll have all plains, no specials, no river, no huts.

RAH

Again, I didn't type fast enough, thanks for the example Slow. But even a start like that, doesn't equal 4 or 5 techs at the start. I've gotten into monarchy at 3850 that way before.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It may depend on the number and type techs and what I used as an example was a "best case" scenario.
          I sure hated restarting. I felt it entirely possible that I could make up ground.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

But what about the 3rd or 4th player that didn't have the great starting position. They would be even more hard pressed to keep up. HENCE RESTART. The last thing we need when starting MP games is having judgement calls. A rigid rule is needed. While a lot of people don't agree with all of the RAH rules, they're willing to play them so there are no rules arguements and a pickup game can start quickly.
            If nothing else, any rules set accomplishes that.

RAH
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

True.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                and a pickup game can start quickly.
                If nothing else, any rules set accomplishes that.
                The other nite, I think we spent almost an hour discussing the rules/settings... and then when the game started, we ended up wasting time discussing stuff as it came up... like free techs for the host. Overall, I think we did more "discussing" then we did playing...
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

..all things being equal,even 1 free tech can be decisive.Especially in a 2x production game.Restart is the only option.Usually doesn't take too long depending on the # of players.Bumping up the map size a few notches can be helpful.
                  The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I also agree with restart, though I had one of those river/3-special moments (with gold) in a duel the other day... I wouldn't have minded not restarting, but as Ming rightly says, you do just need to have that rule in place to stop arguements and whining.
                    I have discovered that China and Spain are really one and the same country, and it's only ignorance that leads people to believe they are two seperate nations. If you don't belive me try writing 'Spain' and you'll end up writing 'China'."
                    Gogol, Diary of a Madman

Comment

That wouldn't be our Happiness vs Sea game . BRW you caused me to be 1/2 hour late to work this morning - I can't afford these session that end at 4am

Comment

Originally posted by Graag
                        I also agree with restart, though I had one of those river/3-special moments (with gold) in a duel the other day... I wouldn't have minded not restarting, but as Ming rightly says, you do just need to have that rule in place to stop arguements and whining.

Yes it does stop the arguements...............
                        But nothing stops the WHINING.

Rich
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The worst is when you play someone and the first 2 times they say "restart" and then the 3rd time they say - "Oh I don't want to waste anymore time lets just go"

Thats when you wonder if starting with Warrior Code is really an advantage.

Comment

HAHAHAHAHA, How true.
                            When they say it after the third time, I definately know I should be restarting.

RAH
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Depends on who I'm playing and starting position.

But in the usual 3/4 way on the zone I dont realy care what techs or extra settlers players have, it only means I have to think about the game for a change

Comment

Working...
                              X