No announcement yet.

Civ3: Who's resolve is first to falter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It never crashed in over three hours, but the fact that it's not a windowed game really sucks. I don't know if has to do with my current resolution setting, which if I change, my wife will severely bruise me. But when I start the game my screen mock resizes to about 2/3 of the screen. My task bar defining the bottom of the new screen, a couple of secs later my screen goes black and resizes to the whole screen. But the usually visible task bar doesn't display. (i can't see incoming icq messages, so unless i have the speakers on and hear the uh oh. i don't know.) I can alt-tab to get out and i see the reduced screen size with my tiny task bar. REAL F***ing annoying.

RAH
    I do have a 950 machine with lots of memory and the game ran real fast.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

A quick question about goody huts Rah. Did you also try accessing them multiple times with a one turn in between? Most games have their randomizer algorithms set in the previous turn/move. It 'might' still be possible to score some goodies with a little R&R.

Keep those reports coming Rah!

P.S

I know there were also some rumors about newspaper headlines floating around in the Civ3 forum. Is there anything like that in the game?
      Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

I tried an empty hut a turn later and it was still empty. But I must admit I didn't do the turn later trick enough to verify a rule. I will try that tonight.

And yeah some ranking floated up on the screen that I generally just ignored.

AND THE STINKING PALACE/THRONE ROOM IS BACK and has been improved.

The first time I was offered to improve the palace/throne room I almost fell off my chair laughing. I'll have to check to see how to turn it off.

I never really got that far in. I would play 30-50 turns then start a new game just to get the feel of the opening. At deity, the AI really gets a good start, so it's critical not to fall to far behind. Waiting for monarchy is like playing CTP, press enter to continue. press enter to continue. press enter to continue.

NOTE: reminder to set option to wait at end of turn before advancing. Years can fly by while you have nothing to move early in the game and gives you no chance to micromanage.

RAH
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

lol...I never understood why they thought a palace was going to grab players more than the civ2 throne room(not).You see it once and that is usually more than enough.

I remember the topic on this in civ3 suggestions/ideas and most were quite excited about it
          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

RAH, Zylka's thread on the Civ III general forum has info on how to get a windowed mode going - check out Asher's comments in particular. He said you have to have a window open first.

Some of the restrictions on movement like no river bonus and the hut thing sound like they really work against a fast start - that's bad - particularly for MP. I hated the way you had to slowly plod around the map in CTP.

Is there a Go to command?
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Another wonderful thing to slow the game down.
              In despotism, you can't use gold to rush build!!!!!!!
              If you want to rush build you force the people to work harder and it cost POPULATION POINTS. I captured an AI's capital that was size six using an army of three units (in despotism) By the time I made enough entertainers the city was starving. And it looked the the city was in trouble, I went to rush build a temple and it cost me two pop points. The city was size one by the time I got happiness under control. The army was pinned there until the problem was resolved.

The tech crawl is obnoxious. I had 6 cities and my cap had some decent trade specials at size 5. I had all the prereqs for Monarchy, and went to research monarchy. 32 TURNS. It was only like my 6 tech. I moved the science slider up to 100% and redid all my cities for max trade/currency and it didn't change from 32 turns. What the F*CK. There were other techs that I could have discovered in 3 turns. This really blows and looks very unpromising for MP.

Thanks AH, I'll check that out, but I believe it's more due to the resolution that my machine is set at, but if it helps, great.

It too early to be using goto commands yet but when your unit is active it's like CTP, you can point at a square and it will show you how long it will take to get there and the path it will take. This seemed to work pretty good.

RAH
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

rah: it sounds like the beaker requirements might be less related to how many techs you have than how far along the tech tree the tech you want to research is. Did that sentence make sense?
                "I think the advantages by the proposal which I have made are obvious and many, as well as of the highest importance."
                Jonathan Swift

Comment

I assuming you're right. Each tech requires x number of beakers whenever you decide to research it. A high price to pay to get to a better form of government. It's not like I was a science slacker. 32 turns, 1600 years for one tech. I can imagine the MP games now. After the first session, no one is out of desp yet. I forsee some real yawners coming up. It's not that bad when you play the ai and the turns are flying by.

It does force you to research a few other techs first, like bronze, before because you can't remain defenseless for 32 turns.

I finally decided i wanted some KING money so I went and trashed a barb encapement. 25 dollars. Oh boy, a veritable fortune. But since you can't use money for anything besides upkeep or trading in despotism, what's the point.

RAH
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That was for all of the folks who thought the ancient period went by too fast.

Comment

Rotflmao,

Yep, they sure fixed that.

Too bad for all the future MPers who only want to get to a more modern age in the first session. But then we all know that MPers are second class citizens as far as they're concerned. At least untill it's time to fleace us again with a "GOLD" addition.

They have however made the game harder. (at least for now, until we discover every little bug and loophole.)

The one bright thing about the 32 turns is that you can set you science slider down without affecting how long it will take, so at least you can get some extra money for later. (can't believe they didn't think that one through)

RAH
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

AH, I didn't say you couldn't get a settler from a hut. Just that I hadn't yet (i was an expansionist civ) which led me to believe that the frequency was less than we're used too.

I answered here, because I didn't want to attract a lot of people here that aren't looking at the implications for eventual MP play.

Thanks for not posting a link.

RAH
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Rah,

I have another question concerning the future of MP. In Civ2 you also had the option of choosing to start in 3000BC and 2000BC with a number of established cities, units and techs already in place. Does Civ3 have a similar quick start option?

A function like this could give some MP'ers the chance to play in one of the later era's without slugging though the first 4000-6000 years.
                          Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

That "fast start" option in civ2 is awful.Especially for mp.Its similiar to pressing end turn and nothing else for the first 40 turns.The results that is.Bad city placement,settlers irrigating in despo,a hodgepodge of techs.
                            It was nice once to start with 4 chariots
                            The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Originally posted by Smash
                              Bad city placement,settlers irrigating in despo,a hodgepodge of techs.
                              Yeah... that sounds exactly like the few times I tried it... at least you got four charriots;D
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

tales of complacency

the aztecs are annoying as hell. in my current game they asked for some tech or other or else. i chose or else and continued as before. they responded with a bunch of jaguar warriors, an archer and a swordsman (i think). they killed off my spearman and archer that were defending Atlanta using a 4 jaguar warriors. i retaliated with a swordsman that was out chasing down yet another jag warrior and retook the city. the aztecs promptly moved up an archer, a jag warrior, and what looked to be a swordsman. they used the swordsman to weaken my swordsman, pulled off so as not to lose the unit, attacked with the archer, pulled him off as well, and finished the job with the jag warrior.

did i mention i was playing on chieftain

i'm glad i got this now, hopefully i'll be up to mediocre by the time MP comes out

Captvk: i don't see an accelerated start-up option, only a "quickstart" which is apparently a randomly generated map
                                Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Working...
                                X