Map making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrSpike
    Hehe, that's not splitting hairs. If you are correct then Finbar was flat wrong.
    What he says is ok, but it only pertains to the case when the AI has Map Making. As we economists would (elegantly! ) put it: Map Making is a necessary, but not sufficient condition for exchanging maps with the AI...

Carolus

Comment

Originally posted by deity
      No wonder finbar said he hated Economists...

Hehe, all we did is post how we thought it worked, and tried to reach a consensus. We didn't try to belittle others.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the next police series he'll write for TV will include a serial killer slaying one economist after the other...

Carolus

Comment

Ah yes, I can see the intro now... A retired Alan Greenspan sneaking up behind an unsuspecting banker walking down an abandoned street, a knife in his hand, whispering hoarsely to his victim: Can you say interest rate cut?

Carolus
          Last edited by Carolus Rex; August 16, 2003, 14:05.

Comment

This is an e-mail I got from La Fayette:

Apolyton looks at me as 'unregistered' tonight; that's why I can't contribute.
            Here is my opinion about swapping maps (in SP):
            1) Both civs must own MapMaking
            2) If the AI is worshipful, they always agree to swapping maps
            3) If the AI is enthusiastic, they will often agree
            4) If the AI is cordial, they will seldom agree

(I have personnally never met a result contrary to these rules IIRC)
            BTW La Fayette is an economist.
            Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Three economists actually agreeing on something?!

Carolus

Comment

BTW who is the first one?
                Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Me.

Comment

I'm going to agree with the economists too (I'm a broker; we always blame the economists when something goes wrong ).

I play SP on a lot of very large maps. Consequently, a key strategy is to get MPE early, make contact and trade for maps. Both parties need to have Mapmaking for a swap to actually take place. Otherwise, you get the message 'we have no need for your frickin maps', much the way you get the message 'we have no need for your useless techs' when the AI has no technology to swap. Perhaps that was the game designer trying to keep knowledge from the human player - if the map trading option was grayed out, then we would know the AI didn't have Mapmaking (?).

Anyway, there have been MANY times I've stupidly forgotten to check whether the AI had MM after all the tech swaps, and consequently couldn't trade maps. A quick check of the intelligence screen, a gift of MM, and voila, now they'll trade (assuming they're Worshipful or at least Enthused). At which point I know where to send the boats full of Caravans/Crusaders
                    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
                      I'm going to agree with the economists too (I'm a broker; we always blame the economists when something goes wrong ).
                      That's funny, we blame you and your sometimes irrational exuberance.

Comment

Rational listlessness won't get you much of a bonus

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
                          Rational listlessness won't get you much of a bonus
                          Yes! That's the problem.

Obviously, us economists are far more honest.

Comment

Its so annoying the way brokers and economists can tell you what just happened but never with any accuracy what is about to happen.
                            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

"Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
                              *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                                Its so annoying the way brokers and economists can tell you what just happened but never with any accuracy what is about to happen.
                                Some of them can, but you don't see a lot of analysis from those few. For some reason, they don't have to work for a living anymore

Comment

Working...
                                X