Map making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atawa
    I actualy never knew you needed mapmaking to trade maps with AI.
    Hehe, when I played the ELG's a while back I forgot as well. It took me a couple of minutes (with some profanity ) to figure out why.

Comment

It's been so long since I played with an AI............
      So finbar says no and others say yes. Which one is it?
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

no
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I thought in SP you did need the tech. But then, its been a while. One of the regular SPers can probably confirm Finbar's assertion.

Comment

no
            Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
              I thought in SP you did need the tech. But then, its been a while. One of the regular SPers can probably confirm Finbar's assertion.
              Nong. MP and SP are exactly the same when it comes to maps. As soon as you meet another civ in the game, you have the option to exchange maps. In SP, you will just about always need the other civ to be Worshipful (or Enthusiastic, at the least) in order for them to agree to an exchange. Handing them a zillion techs usually does the job. Unless you've got a dodgy reputation. Next turn, of course, regardless, they're back to hating your guts.
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by finbar

Nong. MP and SP are exactly the same when it comes to maps. As soon as you meet another civ in the game, you have the option to exchange maps. In SP, you will just about always need the other civ to be Worshipful (or Enthusiastic, at the least) in order for them to agree to an exchange. Handing them a zillion techs usually does the job. Unless you've got a dodgy reputation. Next turn, of course, regardless, they're back to hating your guts.
                Yeah that sounds right............it must be other Civ games where you need the map making corollary to get be able to trade maps.

Comment

Map exchanging with MGE
                  Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Ok now I am confused. Finbar (and many who agree with him) convinced me I misremembered it. But SG seems to suggest there map making makes a difference, and (t)he(y) plays a lot of SP. Somebody sort this out please.

Comment

Yes, someone, anyone.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I seem to suggest it too. I followed SGs suggestion and it worked.
                        Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

So the definative answer is that you need Mapmaking before you can trade maps with the AI?
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well looking at ST's example it isn't concrete, since the AI has some leeway in deciding which attitude to trade at.

Comment

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

For crying out loud! It's very simple!

You have the capacity to trade maps in SP as soon as you meet another civ in the game. Just as in MP. In SP, whether an AI civ will agree to trade maps is another matter. But the capacity exists. Start an SP game, meet a civ, look at the options available under "Have A Proposal To Make". You can ask to exchange maps.

The thread to which Slow Thinker linked talks about the AI civs' willingness to trade maps. The rule of thumb is that an AI civ will probably agree to exchange maps if:

(a) Their attitude is Worshipful or Enthusiastic. They will rarely agree at a level below Enthusiastic;

(b) You have a Spotless reputation. They will rarely agree if your reputation is less than Spotless;

(c) You are allied with the AI civ in question. But even this doesn't guarantee they will agree.

So, once again, for the slow people - and the very slow person, the economist - you have the capacity to exchange maps with an AI civ from the first meeting. Whether or not the AI civ will agree to an exchange is a different matter.
                                " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                                "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Working...
                                X