Map making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map making

I am lazy to test it: Must players have Map Making if they want to swap maps in MP?
    Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

No, they just need to have made contact in the game.
    Last edited by finbar; August 11, 2003, 20:30.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

This is bad IMHO. It is more interesting with a need of map making.

Comment

Why? The Map Making tech serves a particular function - it lets you build triremes and one of the Wonders. The actual exchange of maps is a function of in-game diplomacy, like exchanging techs and so on.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I agree with finbar that Map Making is already important because it gives you the power to start using the sea...

On the other hand... I find it funny that you can exchange maps without being able to make maps

But I see no reason or desire to change the way it is.

And in our games... who cares... we usually don't trade maps anyway
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah, I haven't traded maps with anybody in quite a while. (not including game over map trades) I don't trust most of the cut throats that we play with.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I can't imagine a MP game situation where a map trade wouldn't (or at least couldn't) bite you.

[Yeah, I can just see rah in king chat -- "Oh, by the way, here's the location of my capital, War4."]

In SP, you know the AI "has" the maps anyway...
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

There are rare occassions where it might make sense.
                1. In a three man game, you start 6 squares from someone and the other person has 2/3 of the rest of the map to grow. I have traded maps to avoid an early war that will hand the third person the game. It makes it easier to establish a peaceful border.
                But since I'm not usually into peace, a rare occurance.
                2. Later in the game and you want to gang up on the person with a big lead. (fortunately this doesn't happen much either )
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I would suppose that in a 4-people MP the diplomacy (and so map trading - with maps you may persuade an opponent you are in a good situation to make an alliance) is extremely important. I would think a 3-5 player MP is not Civ2 but 'Diplomacy' - winner is a player that persuade others not to attack him but another guy.

I started a PBEM and it IS about alliances and about map trading. But the map is large enough - bad for wars .

Comment

We don't allow official alliances in our games and tech trading is not allowed, so diplomacy still exists but is limited. We do allow tech stealing and caravan delivery agreements, but all aggrements are suspect and likely to be broken at almost anytime.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yes... in our games, "agreements" aren't something you depend on for very long... because the second there is an opportunity to gain by breaking it...
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yes, when you cram 4 people onto a 39x49 map, the outcome is inevitable. Fight for land.
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I actualy never knew you needed mapmaking to trade maps with AI.

Comment

You don't.

Comment

what's a map?
                              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                              X