Another Civ3 Burnout Checks In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Civ3 Burnout Checks In

Yeah, it's been said before....other games are hot flings, but Civ 2 is my mama, I came home in the end.

-It's faster.
    -It isn't cluttered.
    -It's flexible and easily customizable, I've got all kinds of units.gifs and rules.txts, scenarios.

Civ 3 has.....dum de dum.....better graphics.....

Oh well, maybe when Civ 4 comes out they'll recapture the magic.

I was thinking of a similar phenomena with SSG's great game 'Warlords 2' and 'Warlords 2 Deluxe'

They were games that, graphically, there was no reason to upgrade past 386. But endless replay value! I still have dozens and dozens of W2 Deluxe scens. And fun!

Then came Warlords III.....ugh, RTS....Warlords Dark Lords Rising....UGH....they totally lost the magic.

Do you think MOO III will 'lose the magic'?

What is it about modern games with huge developement teams and budgets and corporate backing and super graphics that, are, well, forgetable in replay value? WHY??

Why is a game that a bunch of guys designed in the corporate equivalent of a basement still rock-solid (or actual basement in some cases)?

There is only one new dame in a flashy red dress that makes me forget about mama nowadays and she's from Paradox...the RTS that plays like TBS...
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Not your mama.

Civ's your wife. All these other hot dames are your mistresses.

Otherwise your analogy works.

For those of us with old'n'slow computers, Civ2 works just fine.

Civ3? Fuggedaboutit.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

CIV 2 - Like a pair of comfortable old slippers
      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Straybow,

exactly!
        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

I don't think Civ3 is a bad game.........it just is not a great game.

Comment

I don't think either that Civ III is a bad game. Actually I like it quite much, unlike TKG who hates everything that has to do with Civ III (well, he being a SMAC player explains it ). However I find Civ II (especially UCC) more comfortable as I've said in a The Column writing. Maybe I'm so used to it.
            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Welcome back home, Seeker

SG[1]
              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I agree, if it's not broken, why fixing it?
                Civ 2 is great
                Dios, dame paciencia... AHORA!!

Comment

welcome back seeker. I suggest you go play a civ2 scenario to find out one of the many reasons why civ2 is clearly better

Comment

yeah , there is no place like home is there....
                    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

just can't get enough
                      I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

Working...
                      X